Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I made a bale lifter last week. See attached Not finished yet I need to
    put a winch onto it but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

SCOL wrote: »
    I made a bale lifter last week. See attached Not finished yet I need to
    put a winch onto it but it works.

lad on adverts selling one for €300 odd euro started off at mad money

OH told me on Saturday she wants a new cloths line as I took down here old one about 5 years ago. anyway going to make one up on castors with brakes and get it hot dipped

I only have a Ferguson 20 no problem for it to pull it rather that lifting the bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Hey. Nice job. Am looking into getting something like this made up. What axel did you use? How much you think it cost. Probably be an idea to strap the bale to the lifting forks for transport

Any chance of a picture from behind with no bale pls

I'm not finished it yet. I need to weld up a support for the lifter to sit on and put a winch to pull the bale up also I'm going to put
    some sort of a pin to lock it in place.

I'm not sure if it would lift a bale of Silage but I might try it and see.

I used an axle off a Caddy van. I'll send more photo's when I'm finished.

• Advertisement

Nearly finished my Bale lifter that fits behind my Land Rover.

I just need to add a few supports but it works I got the pulley fitted and
    my 10 year old can turn the handle to lift a round Hay bale.

He'll be on feeding duty this Winter !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Reggie. wrote: »
    When do you want us over

It's nearly ready, just bring beer!

emaherx wrote: »
    It's nearly ready, just bring beer!

I'm in the van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nearly finished my Bale lifter that fits behind my Land Rover.

I just need to add a few supports but it works I got the pulley fitted and
    my 10 year old can turn the handle to lift a round Hay bale.

He'll be on feeding duty this Winter !!!

Why didn't you put a spike on it? Must be awkward enough to reverse into a bale.

If anyone is using a radio fence for a dog here is a tip. The wire that comes with kit to make the perimeter can be a right pain in the bum. It breaks too easily.

I have replaced ours completely with cat5 network cable (purely because I already had lots of it). You only use one strand in the cable so any similar and cheaper UTP cable would be as good. It is much easier to work with.

But the real tip here is that because it's UTP cable if you use 2 strands so the return path goes back down the other wire in the twisted pair the signal cancels itself out so you can use it to create zones inside your main perimeter for flower beds or anywhere you don't want the dog to go. Or if you need to pass a door that you want the dog to be able to go through.

Hope that made sense :D

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why didn't you put a spike on it? Must be awkward enough to reverse into a bale.

It's not too bad to reverse into the bale as I can see the yellow bars that lift the bale up in my mirror.

The bale sits on it with no problems I have welded 2 rings for a rope to tie the bale on just in case. I was thinking of putting a fold away spike but I don't think I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It's not too bad to reverse into the bale as I can see the yellow bars that lift the bale up in my mirror.

The bale sits on it with no problems I have welded 2 rings for a rope to tie the bale on just in case. I was thinking of putting a fold away spike but I don't think I need it.
    It'd be handy for jfc bins too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yeah empty ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Muckit wrote: »
    Yeah empty ones!

Thought she was going for silage bales,much the same weight I'd imagine

I have not tried it on a silage bale yet, but I welded extra support last week before I painted it. I'll let you all know
    how I get on with my first silage lift. It should not be a problem as it is strong enough to hold it and will be a good
    test for the pulley.

Thought she was going for silage bales,much the same weight I'd imagine

I lifted a bale of silage with it last night with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Muckit wrote: »

that the one I posted about a few weeks ago. when he put it on adverts first he was looking for €1200

• Advertisement

€300 is good value, as I spent €150 just buying the hitch, axle and the pulley. I had the steel from other jobs I done
    and a of time cutting and welding.

It looks a lot stronger / heaver job than mine.

Found on Facebook :)

emaherx wrote: »
    Found on Facebook :)

Looks like something from Jurassic park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Looks like something from Jurassic park

There's no way you'd fit a T Rex in that.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    There's no way you'd fit a T Rex in that.

A baby one?

A baby one?

It think that's how one of the films started and then mammy comes along in a good humour.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    It think that's how one of the films started and then mammy comes along in a good humour.

Yeah the second one. Most of the vehicles in that film looked like that

I was talking to a trade stand at tullamore about spray gun for painting Oxide paint to a hayshed. they recommended a pressure pot/paint pot. (in fairness they said hire one, but hire places don't really like hiring them as lads don't wash them out)

Anyway they said it would work good and you get gun wash and wash out the pot , pipes and gun. im thinking I might put an 8ft cage on tractor loader or hire teleporter, daddy do the spraying on a calm day and I drive. he trained years ago as panel beater so he would not leave overrun and will clean out pot. if well set up you could probably do 2 coats and almost have as much paint on as hand brushing

peoples thoughts / experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭visatorro

I was talking to a trade stand at tullamore about spray gun for painting Oxide paint to a hayshed. they recommended a pressure pot/paint pot. (in fairness they said hire one, but hire places don't really like hiring them as lads don't wash them out)

Anyway they said it would work good and you get gun wash and wash out the pot , pipes and gun. im thinking I might put an 8ft cage on tractor loader or hire teleporter, daddy do the spraying on a calm day and I drive. he trained years ago as panel beater so he would not leave overrun and will clean out pot. if well set up you could probably do 2 coats and almost have as much paint on as hand brushing

Better than bringing the bosses around the place anyway!

• Advertisement

I got the sheds painted here last week.
    The powerwashing first is the most important bit.
    Then some of the sheds needed a primer paint.
    They had some sort of pump for the painting on the lorry but then there was a long pipe from that to the lance. It takes a good bit of paint in the pipe so you'd need to be sure of doing all the painting in the one day as as you say it needs cleaner/white spirits run through it after use to stop the pipe blocking.

They used castle paints and am very pleased with it only after a few days.
    But we'll see how it goes.

Seeing them do it. I wouldn't do it myself.
    Well wouldn't have the time, the equipment or the head for heights. :D

Advertisement