Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

dzer2 wrote:
    Always drill the RSJ and put an angle iron on for this.

dzer2 wrote:
    Very easy these days with a battery drill.

dzer2 wrote:
    Cost about 3 euros

The father usually welds on hangers to the RSJ but this gate comes down a couple of times a year so an adjustable one would be handy.

Have you any photos of what you knock up?
    The lad i work for always welds up his gates. He reckons he would take them down to use in different spots in the summer and lose track of them .
    We tend to make our gates to suit where they are being hung .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Muckit wrote: »
    €220 I think for the pair through QTP. Got a lad to weld them on, wouldn't trust my snots. Lad l got is unreal with a welder. Haven't got the bill for that yet. Whatever it us it worth it.

Never used a tractor with hooks before but wouldn'tbe without them now. Reverse and click. Super.

as long as you can get them to line up. have issues getting the mower hitched up, so have found best way to do it is to open them as wide as possible and attach the LHS 1st, then raise to take up the stand then lower until the RHS lines up the push in like the old arms.

almost everything else is straight forward. cant fit the old spud planter or digger with those arms so use an other tractor.

arm controls on the mudgaurds are brillant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

The father usually welds on hangers to the RSJ but this gate comes down a couple of times a year so an adjustable one would be handy.

Have you any photos of what you knock up?

i usually leave the bottom hangers in place so dont have to line up the holes on the pillars for the gates. spot of weld to keep them in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Very clever.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Aboy John Kelly. A right funny man and good operator by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Aboy John Kelly. A right funny man and good operator by all accounts.

Holy Mary Kelly isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

That concrete is too smooth for cattle. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If yard is always kept that clean they won't slip anyways. I presume the tine is welded or bolted at the the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You set it for rowing or tedding depending on pressure u want on gate:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

73BmQw.jpg

qAk4tt.jpg

eLHrsT.jpg

Made this today should keep foals in on hot day on way to sales .
    Had 2 bars left over from gates of cattle trailer last year . Aluminium plate from delivery pallet.. trim €6 .... bolts €25 . Doors can close with it on .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

At long last I bought a decent light for the workshop. Gone from a halogen work light to a 17w LED tube. Easier om the eyes for a start and nearly no shadow. Nicer on the esb bill too. €36 in woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

anyone have a sandblaster? ive a few jobs for one but i've never used one

ganmo wrote: »
    anyone have a sandblaster? ive a few jobs for one but i've never used one

No thjnking of getting a small pot here also. Have a few rims to do. And loader bucket and grab. I have a 200l compressor and dad was saying it will be ok for small jobs but on larger jobs struggle for air volume.

Pots are cheap enough and grit/glass priced ok

It's a dirty job with potential health risks. You'd want top notch PPE to protect lungs and body.

You need massive amounts of air to run a half decent sandblaster. Lad l got to do a few jobs for me had one of those road compressors feeding his system. Then you can only imagine the amount of blasting sand you'd get through.

Wouldn't be worth it if only doing a few small bits for the savings you'd make.

It's a dirty job with potential health risks. You'd want top notch PPE to protect lungs and body.

You need massive amounts of air to run a half decent sandblaster. Lad l got to do a few jobs for me had one of those road compressors feeding his system. Then you can only imagine the amount of blasting sand you'd get through.

Wouldn't be worth it if only doing a few small bits for the savings you'd make.

It's not the saving it's being able to clean an item tonight and prime it and paint it all within a day.

Most lads don't want small jobs it seems.

I was quoted 250e cash to paint a 5ft beet bucket. Like that's robbery

Everything is dear until u are doing it yourself and trying to earn a crust. I say the same for my accountant fee for tax return! :D

Lads doing blasting usually put on etching primer straight after. Two pack paint ain't cheap if a few litres needed.

Everything is dear until u are doing it yourself and trying to earn a crust. I say the same for my accountant fee for tax return! :D

Lads doing blasting usually put on etching primer straight after. Two pack paint ain't cheap if a few litres needed.

Haha. You may message me so.

Ye I know paint is expensice. But lad wasn't blasting just painting. 1.5 litres would have painted it. E50 costs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭visatorro

Sandblasting is the dirtiest job going. Even with high quality masks lads reckon you can still taste the dust, which means you're inhaling it. If your only doing small items lakill, if you threw another couple of hundred with it you'd have brand new stuff. Far better off imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Only a hobby farmer so spending hundreds on front weights is not really an option.

https://ibb.co/m2sa4F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Only a hobby farmer so spending hundreds on front weights is not really an option.

https://ibb.co/m2sa4F

Front boiler!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Front boiler!

If i need extra weight i can always fill it with water ;-)

Is that an mf133?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

No thjnking of getting a small pot here also. Have a few rims to do. And loader bucket and grab. I have a 200l compressor and dad was saying it will be ok for small jobs but on larger jobs struggle for air volume.

Pots are cheap enough and grit/glass priced ok

I worked with a sandblaster when times were hard and its not something that can be done diy
    It's extremely dirty and quite dangerous and if the sand is damp in the pot it will take 2 lads to work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If i need extra weight i can always fill it with water ;-)

Water doesn't add much weight. Steel is 8 times heavier.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I worked with a sandblaster when times were hard and its not something that can be done diy
    It's extremely dirty and quite dangerous and if the sand is damp in the pot it will take 2 lads to work

For the odd bit I would be doing. Opening a new bag wount matter that much.

Is that an mf133?

No its a long suffering mf165

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

With all the wet weather we are having and young kids I'm looking at building a shed for drying closes/workshop at the back of the garage
    maybe a lean to with a full perspex roof and maybe sides that can open for air flow. probably about 12-15 foot long and the same wide.

I live on VERY exposed hill but the garage would be blocking the west winds so only easterly wind would be a problem. would the perspex roof be strong enough with a wind getting under the roof and breaking the sheets ?

I also need to figure out how to attach the roof to the side as It's k rend finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

SCOL wrote: »
    With all the wet weather we are having and young kids I'm looking at building a shed for drying closes/workshop at the back of the garage
    maybe a lean to with a full perspex roof and maybe sides that can open for air flow. probably about 12-15 foot long and the same wide.

I live on VERY exposed hill but the garage would be blocking the west winds so only easterly wind would be a problem. would the perspex roof be strong enough with a wind getting under the roof and breaking the sheets ?

I also need to figure out how to attach the roof to the side as It's k rend finish.

I have something similar done as you ill post pictures later .. i used 3 mm acrylic sheets with no problem .

• Advertisement

SCOL wrote: »

Putting the young lads trampoline and swing set into the workshop this winter for him. Let him burn off energy and excuse not to be under the OH feet

Advertisement