Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

Welded up a trailer to hold an IBC just need to put a drinker
    on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

SCOL wrote: »
    Welded up a trailer to hold an IBC just need to put a drinker
    on the back.

Would there be an awful lot of pressure on the drawbar especially going over bumps a bit too quickly.( speaking from experience:()

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think the axle should be further forward. A lot of weight on drawbar and jockey wheel when she full

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How do you like the Inverter welder? Would it burn through and weld galvanised steel better than an ordinary arc welder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Would there be an awful lot of pressure on the drawbar especially going over bumps a bit too quickly.( speaking from experience:()

Yea 1000ltres weighs 1000kgs or a ton in old money......a lot of weight on that little drawbar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Welding galvanised is a horrid dirty job, fair play for sticking at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    How do you like the Inverter welder? Would it burn through and weld galvanised steel better than an ordinary arc welder?

No welder will burn through it effectively,
    Needs to be taken back to steel to have any chance, easier said that done I know.
    I hate welding with galvanized with a passion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Muckit wrote: »
    I think the axle should be further forward. A lot of weight on drawbar and jockey wheel when she full

Plenty of room for a double axle also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

wrangler wrote: »

Yea 1000ltres weighs 1000kgs or a ton in old money......a lot of weight on that little drawbar

I'd question also if the hitch itself is strong enough.
    AFAIK those folded steel hitches are for light use

9935452 wrote: »
    I'd question also if the hitch itself is strong enough.
    AFAIK those folded steel hitches are for light use

yea, quads maybe up to 500kgs

• Advertisement

No welder will burn through it effectively,
    Needs to be taken back to steel to have any chance, easier said that done I know.
    I hate welding with galvanized with a passion!

I tried to rub off the galvanizes there I was welding. It's a cheap €100 200amp welder If I put it on full power it will burn through no problem.

My plan was to 1/2 fill it and see how I get on as I only have a few horses about 5 miles away from my house.

If I offset it back 1/3 would that a bit of pressure off the hitch ? I think 1/2 might be too much or If I was to get a stronger
    hitch would that be better ? I was going to weld legs supports on each side so when it sitting in the field it would be stable and
    no pressure on the jockey wheel.
    I like the Idea of putting a second axle onto it but it another €100 for that.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I have an old Arch and it would be much better for burning through steel. However I only have this a few weeks and still getting used to it.

It's different welding with the Inverter It's great for spot welding, you need to warm up the stick with the Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My plan was to 1/2 fill it and see how I get on as I only have a few horses about 5 miles away from my house.

If I offset it back 1/3 would that a bit of pressure off the hitch ? I think 1/2 might be too much or If I was to get a stronger
    hitch would that be better ? I was going to weld legs supports on each side so when it sitting in the field it would be stable and

Yea, 1/3 behind and 2/3 before the axle would make a huge difference. I might go a wee bit more but not up as far as half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, 1/3 behind and 2/3 before the axle would make a huge difference. I might go a wee bit more but not up as far as half way.

The fact you have a "live load " makes the position of the axle very important when unhitching. If its too far forward when you lift hitch off the ball the contents could fall back resulting in the drawbar flying up and hitting ya.

you're a braver man than me if you go on the road with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Half fill it and see what the weight on the drawbar is like. I'm guessing that with that long drawbar it won't be much over 125 kg. If you're pulling with a car then your rated max is generally 50 - 75 kg although we've all had a cow exert much more while turning in a trailer.

I think you should be ok on the road with under 750kg total if there's a suspension on that axle. If not, then I'm not so sure

There's is no suspension on the trailer, I'm using a Discovery 4x4 to pull it.

I put it on that position because when I would be taking it off the center of gravity would be forward and would not pop off and kill me.
    2 options now I think move the IBC back 1/3 and see how it feels or fit another axle.

What do you all think ?

There's is no suspension on the trailer, I'm using a Discovery 4x4 to pull it.

I put it on that position because when I would be taking it off the center of gravity would be forward and would not pop off and kill me.
    2 options now I think move the IBC back 1/3 and see how it feels or fit another axle.

What do you all think ?

On a 4x4 I'd try it as it is Look up the rated nose weight for the discovery and figure out what your trailer is applying. I'd agree with your thinking on having a but more weight than less esp. given foxy's point earlier. You can move it if you feel it's too heavy

I'd be more worried about where it will all go if you hit a pot hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

If you're worried about it flying up I'd put the axle about 3" behind the middle of the IBC. Doing a few very quick calcs there I reckon a full tank will put around 350kg weight onto your hitch, probably at least 3 times over its rated vertical load

• Advertisement

IBC Trailer.

As the frame is welded up I'm thinking of moving the axle forward at this stage would I be better to get a set of springs or
    just bolt it to the frame the same way as I originally made it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

If you're worried about it flying up I'd put the axle about 3" behind the middle of the IBC. Doing a few very quick calcs there I reckon a full tank will put around 350kg weight onto your hitch, probably at least 3 times over its rated vertical load

1cubic meter of water is 1000l liters or 1000kg or 1 ton...............based on the design in the images I feel that the load on the ball is significantly higher than the 350 kg. Seem to have mislaid my reference material for hitch loads but I will locate it.
    ~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

stock> wrote: »
    1cubic meter of water is 1000l liters or 1000kg or 1 ton...............based on the design in the images I feel that the load on the ball is significantly higher than the 350 kg. Seem to have mislaid my reference material for hitch loads but I will locate it.
    ~

I based the sums on 1200mm long IBC, 1200mm long drawbar, 1050kg full IBC, 150kg empty trailer, CG IBC in middle of tank, CG trailer 1200mm from axle line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For the IBC trailer - measure the distance from the centre of the IBC to both the center of the axle and also to the center of the ball hitch. This ratio will also be the ratio of the weights at both points. If that makes sense.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Has OP the BE license required to pull this ??
    Also being over 750kg would I not be right that it needs to be a braked trailer to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Has OP the BE license required to pull this ??
    Also being over 750kg would I not be right that it needs to be a braked trailer to be legal.
    Excellent point.
    AFAIK he can do so if he pulls it behind a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Excellent point.
    AFAIK he can do so if he pulls it behind a tractor.

What's the hitch rated at. Just to be a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie. wrote: »
    What's the hitch rated at. Just to be a pain
    Another excellent point but not to be dismissed.
    I'm often on the road with the jeep/trailer or lorry/trailer and you would want to be legal if you come across a multi agency check point or a garda/rsa checkpoint as per my previous post re labels on ratchet straps.

My plan was to 1/2 fill it and see how I get on as I only have a few horses about 5 miles away from my hous

Easy now, surely ye cant prosecute him until ye catch him overweight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If you left enoigh empty barrels out Op the rain would nearly keep them watered.

Advertisement