Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

......you have to catch him first.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Farmer wrote: »
    Easy now, surely ye cant prosecute him until ye catch him overweight ;)

That’s not correct actually.

If your pulling a trailer that your licence doesn’t cover, even empty, you can be prosecuted.

The law is based on the “designed” weight of a trailer not the actual weight.

The trailer OP has made is to pull an IBC, these are 1000kg, plus weight of trailer, probably 150kg, so the dgvw of that trailer is probably 1200kg, well over the 750 allowed on a standard B licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I bet the OP is sorry he even posted the photo at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

That's the joys of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Aye, it's looking like turkey feathers is all he'll be able to bring in it now :D

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I know the point I made is a bit on the pedantic pat, however, that is the technical implication of the law.
    More and more the traffic core are targeting farmers pulling trailers so being educated is no harm. I myself flout the be license requirement occasionally but I’m aware and have the old “Jesus I didn’t know that” sob story well rehearsed.

Anyway, I didn’t even mention that as of two years ago all new trailers need a CE stamp to be road legal, that’s a whole other mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bastards..... another tax on footwear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

:D you are quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

_Brian wrote: »

Anyway, I didn’t even mention that as of two years ago all new trailers need a CE stamp to be road legal, that’s a whole other mess.

Whole other mess is right.
    And when they move on to older farm-made trailers it'll affect a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

Jesus lads I only wanted to show you my trailer, and a bit of advice !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

SCOL wrote: »

to get around the'design weight you could drill a hole 3/4 of the way up the tank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

ganmo wrote: »
    to get around the'design weight you could drill a hole 3/4 of the way up the tank :)

..with a rubber bung in it, cinnected by string in to the jeep so that you can pull it when you see the blue lights:)

Please bear with us. We eagerly await, either the nose weight measurent, the result of the first trial run, or the ammended axle photo

Edit: Nice one on donedeal to model on.

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/1000-litre-ibc-with-plumbed-jfc-30gallon-drinker/16989898

Picture 7 shows the springs

Ah don't look at it the wrong way lad. This info might seem like us being snaggy but it's good to know.

You'll be better informed in the future. Well that's how I look at things once I throw them up here.

Farmer wrote: »
    ..with a rubber bung in it, cinnected by string in to the jeep so that you can pull it when you see the blue lights:)

Please bear with us. We eagerly await, either the nose weight measurent, the result of the first trial run, or the ammended axle photo

Edit: Nice one on donedeal to model on.

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/1000-litre-ibc-with-plumbed-jfc-30gallon-drinker/16989898

Picture 7 shows the springs

Great Idea with the rubber !!! the one on DD she is a bit low and also the price.

I'm going to rally her around the roads tonight. I'll 1/2 fill her to see how I get on

Do I need lights ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm going to rally her around the roads tonight. I'll 1/2 fill her to see how I get on

Do I need lights ????
    Only if it's dark:pac:

Opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one !

Do I need lights ????

Go for it lad

Reggie. wrote: »
    Go for it lad

Yea, it’s not like it’s the shortest day of the year and everyone else has light on all day, or that it’s cloudy raining and really poor visibility out.

If you have an accident the “I was just testing it” defence will work perfectly.

Yea, it’s not like it’s the shortest day of the year and everyone else has light on all day, or that it’s cloudy raining and really poor visibility out.

If you have an accident the “I was just testing it” defence will work perfectly.

:D

• Advertisement

:D

Someone on the internet told me to do it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Someone on the internet told me to do it !!

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/unsecured-load-stopped-by-gardai-in-bandon-333928

And he was only pulled over for not tying the load on THAT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

wrangler wrote: »

Is that some kind of a converted donkey cart or something?

Is that some kind of a converted donkey cart or something?

It’s some wreck to be bringing on the road. Some people really do deserve everything that is coming their way !

wrangler wrote: »

Ah but that trailer stands out a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Just to throw a hand grenade into the conversation lads, you can tow over 750Kg on a B licence as long as the Total weight of car, trailer, load, people etc is under 3500Kg (Max allowable weight on our B licences )

Here's a link to the RSA web page
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Advice-and-Checks-for-Trailers-/
    (Sorry its not a hyper link ,I'm on the phone)

"You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg"

There are other rules -
    Whatever the total weight of the trailer (load plus trailer weights combined) must be less than what the trailer is designed to carry.
    Your car will have a Max weight allowed on the hitch and that cant be exceeded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Ah but that trailer stands out a mile

But more importantly, for the first time ever a bale of hay has been confused for straw in the media! Always the other way round, same as farmers spreading smelly silage in the fields :D:D

Just to throw a hand grenade into the conversation lads, you can tow over 750Kg on a B licence as long as the Total weight of car, trailer, load, people etc is under 3500Kg (Max allowable weight on our B licences )

Here's a link to the RSA web page
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Advice-and-Checks-for-Trailers-/
    (Sorry its not a hyper link ,I'm on the phone)

"You may tow a trailer with a maximum mass (again as specified by the manufacturer) not greater than 750kg, or where the maximum mass is more than 750kg, the combined maximum mass of the towing vehicle and the trailer is not greater than 3,500kg"

There are other rules -
    Whatever the total weight of the trailer (load plus trailer weights combined) must be less than what the trailer is designed to carry.
    Your car will have a Max weight allowed on the hitch and that cant be exceeded
    I’m aware of that and it’s important that people understand it.
    But the guy making the IBC trailer said it would be pulled behind a disco, any trailer over dgvw 750kg behind a disco would need a BE option on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

ganmo wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing but the hole would probable need to be half way up the ibc if you take the weight of the IBC and trailer into account which surely have to weigh 200/250kgs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

9935452 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing but the hole would probable need to be half way up the ibc if you take the weight of the IBC and trailer into account which surely have to weigh 200/250kgs

you didn't let me finish.:P

and fill the rest with helium :D

Advertisement