Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

If the water was kept to the back of the ibc it would be easier towedðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Guntering came to a sudden stop this evening .....

zmniOPH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

zmniOPH.jpg

Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

zmniOPH.jpg

At least it didn’t shatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Was it in date ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Bullocks wrote: »
    Was it in date ?

Didn’t know they were dated.
    Dust mask I’ve here says the filters expire every 6months.
    Other than that

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

There is a date on all grinder discs, it's stamped on the little metal washer where the nut tightens

From doing the abrisave wheels coarse, the experts say the glue binding the particals together on the disc starts to break down after the use by date, leading to failure

Must look for a date tomorrow.
    It's only bought sometime this autumn.
    Jammed in the cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

zmniOPH.jpg

A lad I know loosely....nearly got killed a year or 2 ago,working in an small garage/engineering place!

after one of these shattered while cutting out floor of a diet feeder and stuck him in the throat....

He went to office,boss man was gone...only other person working there fainted...ended up having to drive to the doctor himself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jammed in the cut.

So long as it was not the nut... ooohh that would be sore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Another thing that you'd have (or should have) in or near the workshop that has an expiry on it is a first aid kit.

I only discovered this at work recently. Bandages, eye washes, sterile wipes etc (everything bar the scissors and tweezers!) has an expiry date stamped on the wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

It's amazing just how much stuff has an actual end of life date when you know. The likes of dust masks some are just single use, others with the filters that look like a gas mask are only good for 20 or 40hours use before filters need replacing , ear defenders and builders helmets all have an end of life date on them regardless of if they were never used or battered to death

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

Jammed in the cut.

That's why some lads sell discs that look good cheap . They are out of date or shortly will be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Bullocks wrote: »
    That's why some lads sell discs that look good cheap . They are out of date or shortly will be

Yay now I've a reason to throw out all the half used discs! Ould lad keeps everything in case it'd be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A lad I know loosely....nearly got killed a year or 2 ago,working in an small garage/engineering place!

after one of these shattered while cutting out floor of a diet feeder and stuck him in the throat....

He went to office,boss man was gone...only other person working there fainted...ended up having to drive to the doctor himself :eek:

I know a young fella that lost the sight in one eye when one shattered and hit him too.

ganmo wrote: »
    Yay now I've a reason to throw out all the half used discs! Ould lad keeps everything in case it'd be useful

Yeah, perhaps keeping the used centres from 9" disks to use in the 4" grinder, isnt such a good idea.....

ganmo wrote: »

Like my own father , uses the 9" waste blades in the mini grinder :D
    Use by dates are meaningless , whether its food or grinder blades

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

On the subject of H&SI remember a farming series on RTE or TG4 where one of the participants was always wearing a helmet/ bump cap. Similar to what they wear in meat plants. He was running a dairy farm in NCD I think. Any time he was interviewed he had a white helmet on. I have a bump cap that I use from time to time especially around machinery or jobs where I could hit the head off sharp edges or protruding objects. It's like a normal baseball cap with a plastic insert held in place inside the cap with Velcro. Has saved the nopper on numerous occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ya I remember that lad too. And then he carried a new calf across the yard with the cow following behind

• Advertisement

Guntering finished. This is a bracket I got made by a local engineering place to allow me attach Euro fitment implements to a Grays loader.
    Very disappointed when it fell apart the other night.
    Twisted 2 ways.
    The bars I thought were solid were only piping.

qy2TyOU.jpg

Reinforced with 4x4 box, with a 13mm wall.

0IoCfyh.jpg

Guntering finished. This is a bracket I got made by a local engineering place to allow me attach Euro fitment implements to a Grays loader.
    Very disappointed when it fell apart the other night.
    Twisted 2 ways.
    The bars I thought were solid were only piping.

qy2TyOU.jpg

Reinforced with 4x4 box, with a 13mm wall.

0IoCfyh.jpg

Sexy

Me or the welding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

On the subject of H&SI remember a farming series on RTE or TG4 where one of the participants was always wearing a helmet/ bump cap. Similar to what they wear in meat plants. He was running a dairy farm in NCD I think. Any time he was interviewed he had a white helmet on. I have a bump cap that I use from time to time especially around machinery or jobs where I could hit the head off sharp edges or protruding objects. It's like a normal baseball cap with a plastic insert held in place inside the cap with Velcro. Has saved the nopper on numerous occasions.
    He's been wearing white helmets for as long as I know him and that is nearly 40 years be it driving the tractor, jeep or working in the yard/fields.

Me or the welding?

Are you in the pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    He's been wearing white helmets for as long as I know him and that is nearly 40 years be it driving the tractor, jeep or working in the yard/fields.

Never wear protective clothing here, not even goggles. apart from against rain.
    the only side effect is my feet are a mess from breaking toes and not getting them set properly.
    Suppose I just have been very lucky.
    Too old to change now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

wrangler wrote: »
    Never wear protective clothing here, not even goggles. apart from against rain.
    the only side effect is my feet are a mess from breaking toes and not getting them set properly.
    Suppose I just have been very lucky.
    Too old to change now

Big risk.

I near lost an eye many years ago. Red hot chip from grinder popped up and burned onto my eye just to one side of cornea, was awful having it removed and my eye had a grey scar for years.
    Scared the shiite outta me, ALWAYS is goggles now.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Are you in the pics?

Of course I am, I'm the one with the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I always wear steel toe capped work boots and only wear wellies when I have to go out into mucky gateways. I have taken to the habit in the last year or so of wearing blue latex gloves particularly during the Winter and when mixing CMR/feeding calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Once you get used to the safety gear, it's not that difficult. Some of the most difficult engineering jobs are done with full safety gear and they get it done.
    Sure, you might get away without it, but it's the one in a hundred chance, do it a hundred times and you'll get caught out.
    For me it's not the injury, but the time in A&E, visits to the doctor and time off work that makes me stop and think for a minute before taking on a job.

Advertisement