Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

You'd want to be a coded welder to weld something like that. If they were to fail, what would the consequences Be?

You are right there. I seen a lad down the road trying to weld the prong back onto a bale spike for front loader, it was shocking bad and broke off shortly after he welded it. No one hurt but a warning to him or anyone else not to mess around with stuff like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

RobinBanks wrote: »
    You are right there. I seen a lad down the road trying to weld the prong back onto a bale spike for front loader, it was shocking bad and broke off shortly after he welded it. No one hurt but a warning to him or anyone else not to mess around with stuff like that.

That's high carbon steel, they'd need to be tempered after welding. Where did you buy the links? Not cheap I guess.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's high carbon steel, they'd need to be tempered after welding. Where did you buy the links? Not cheap I guess.

The right job is to weld a bush or a helicoil into the frame and slot the prong through it and secure with a nut provide prong has thread on it of course.

I got them from MDE agri parts up north. €56 each.

You can get them most places but I needed some other genuine case parts and local case dealer had savage mark up on everything so I went direct to MDE myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Anyone here ever cut railway track??
    Have a few lengths around the yard that were for a shed that was never built years ago.
    Was hoping to use them to hang gates but I'm not sure what's the best way to cut them.
    Would hiring a consaw do or would I better getting a lad to cut them with an oxy acetylene torch??

Thanks

Any attempt yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

blue5000 wrote: »
    Any attempt yet?

No might give it a go now on Sunday. Must borrow a yoke to lift them into the yard where I can get power to the grinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Sounds rough, but drag them with anything with a towbar, will take you half the time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

What's the price of a concrete post these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

What's the price of a concrete post these days anyway?

€30.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Sounds rough, but drag them with anything with a towbar, will take you half the time.:)

No way lad, I've caused enough damage at that racket before. 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

447706.jpg

Hardly worth putting up on this thread as it's made from timber .... but fierce handy as can easy switch from bale carrier to carry bag of nuts / square bale of hay etc ..... Surprised one of the round bale manufacturers havn't come up with something like it in metal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Hardly worth putting up on this thread as it's made from timber .... but fierce handy as can easy switch from bale carrier to carry bag of nuts / square bale of hay etc ..... Surprised one of the round bale manufacturers havn't come up with something like it in metal

That sort of thing would be better in timber. No metal on metal wear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    That sort of thing would be better in timber. No metal on metal wear

Less rattle too.
    Handy wee job that any farmer could make on a wet afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw this on a Donedeal add this evening selling calves. Nifty idea for a Hay Rack.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/friesian-calves/18169488

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

Saw this on a Donedeal add this evening selling calves. Nifty idea for a Hay Rack.

Is that the IFA man?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

jimmy G M wrote:

Can be a right pain taking things on and off in spring. We use a Bord na mona pallet on the bale handler. It's good and strong and always on the go.

kk.man wrote: »
    Is that the IFA man?

Don't know. Could be.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

That looks like the pallets they use for delivering wind farm parts, used to work for a courier and collect the empty ones for the yard, handiest thing a man can have around the yard but a bitch to hold on to , my cousins carried all the box ones for feeding sheep ration and hay on the mountain, family eh !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

This is exactly the type of thing this thread was started for. It certainly wasn't opened just for Reggie to show us he has far too much time on his hands :D

We use similar around the yard and it is a very simple but useful idea. Manufacturers of small meal bins make some designed to be lifted by bale lifters.

emaherx wrote: »
    This is exactly the type of thing this thread was started for. It certainly wasn't opened just for Reggie to show us he has far too much time on his hands :D

We use similar around the yard and it is a very simple but useful idea. Manufacturers of small meal bins make some designed to be lifted by bale lifters.

your just jealous

It's a good idea, but will the bale lifters be on the tractor during the winter. I'd like the same idea, but for a bale spike on the back. Get working on it Jimmy G M . :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Reggie. wrote: »
    your just jealous

Yes...... yes I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's a good idea, but will the bale lifters be on the tractor during the winter. I'd like the same idea, but for a bale spike on the back. Get working on it Jimmy G M . :D

The 3 point bale spike l have since we started making baled silage! it has a big spike in the middle with a smaller one beneath. l find it a right nuisance of a design now that bales are chopped. Once u cut the net the bale is liable to go anywhere and fall in a heap, making it impossible then to shift with tractor and a right nuisance to try and grape.

l think 2 big spikes horizontally on the bottom bar (like a bale carrier) would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How would you get it on to the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »

2 of the slots go right to the bottom of the barrel and across the bottom. So it just drops over the gate and then you stuff it with hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

whelan2 wrote: »

The bottom of the barrel is cut in two, with a channel cut up the sides the width of the gate.

Did u do woodwork in school? It's like a cross halving joint!

Muckit wrote: »
    The 3 point bale spike l have since we started making baled silage! it has a big spike in the middle with a smaller one beneath. l find it a right nuisance of a design now that bales are chopped. Once u cut the net the bale is liable to go anywhere and fall in a heap, making it impossible then to shift with tractor and a right nuisance to try and grape.

l think 2 big spikes horizontally on the bottom bar (like a bale carrier) would be better.

Fleming do one like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

What about the cashels one with the paddles on over the tines. The one machine for summer and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Two horizontal spikes, a euro pallet fits on to these, I see a man bringing a big bag of meal from the mill tied with a strap. Seems secure enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have one here if you want it.

• Advertisement

I know I posted this already, but the quality of welds I'm getting now compared to before is unreal. And to think it was all down to poor quality supply cables. I thought it was down to me. Pleasure to weld now in comparison.

Advertisement