Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

stock> wrote: »
    The shape of the axe head is very important, I used one once that was commercially made and the timber block split violently as the angle was too steep and compressed the timber before it finally fractured causing the blocks to fly.
    IMG_2864_zps546cb013.jpg

It was bucket teeth I used, and they work exceptionally well...........

I like the side overhang brackets you added to prise off jammed logs.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Czhornet wrote: »
    Getting sick of spraying weeds in the yard and on the lawn at home with a knapsack so came up with this baby!

25 litre drum
    12 volt pump worked off the lawn mower battery
    3 nozzle spray bar
    5 metre lance for spot spraying/close to walls etc

great job and saves the back!!

Great idea. What do you use to spray the weeds on the lawn?

Anyone know where I might get one of these log splitter splitting plates. I remember a guy selling Hardox ones on Donedeal before but nothing now. Seems crazy to bring one in from the states.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_363212_363212

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Grazon

Get a piece of a cutting edge of a digger bucket shud be handy got.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

Anyone know where I might get one of these log splitter splitting plates. I remember a guy selling Hardox ones on Donedeal before but nothing now. Seems crazy to bring one in from the states.

Ask a local machine manufacturer if the have a any offcuts of cutting edge and get them to machine a 45 degree angle on both sides, it's what I used and it only cost me €20 and gets a lot of heavy use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Ask a local machine manufacturer if the have a any offcuts of cutting edge and get them to machine a 45 degree angle on both sides, it's what I used and it only cost me €20 and gets a lot of heavy use

On some loader buckets there is a short piece of cutting edge at either side, I got one of those and sharpened it with the angle grinder. Zero cost other than my time and a grinding disc/electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

I always wanted to get a cover for my manure/spinner spreader but never got round to it. I know of at least one place that does all sorts of covers made to measure.it would be handy if u have a full load of fertilizer and the clouds burst, which often happen in spring.
    Today I got a brain wave I cut the outer plastic from the big bags of fertilizer (the one that holds the 4 together). I cut this outer bag down low and put it over my spreader and it fitted perfectly.
    Small thing but practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

kk.man wrote: »
    I always wanted to get a cover for my manure/spinner spreader but never got round to it. I know of at least one place that does all sorts of covers made to measure.it would be handy if u have a full load of fertilizer and the clouds burst, which often happen in spring.
    Today I got a brain wave I cut the outer plastic from the big bags of fertilizer (the one that holds the 4 together). I cut this outer bag down low and put it over my spreader and it fitted perfectly.

Didn't happen cause there is no pictures........................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not sure if it's the place you're thinking of but I got mine at.
    http://www.carlowcovers.ie/

Just measured the spreader and they made up a cover to suit.
    Wasn't that dear from what I remember.
    Essential if you have a bit of urea left in the spreader to keep dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Great idea. What do you use to spray the weeds on the lawn?

I use Dicophar to kill the weeds, kills everything except the grass.

https://www.horkans.ie/p/dicophar-selective-weedkiller-for-lawns/p187065644

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

What have people done to make moving calf dehorning crates easier. Any photos. I'll be going with the most simple solution.

Aravo wrote: »
    What have people done to make moving calf dehorning crates easier. Any photos. I'll be going with the most simple solution.

I use the bale spike at the back. On top of the crate feed the chain around the spike. So simple, you'll laugh. I was going putting wheels and all on mine, till I copped it. Bale spike is always nearly on anyway, so easily done.

Got frame up at last. No more lifting 50kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You'll still get a work out pulling the chain. Missed the recent offer on the pulley block. I have a 1 tonne here but it has a 20ft chain. A 10 ft would be handier for most jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

leccy hoist for mighty frame and you'd be able to lift bags straight off a trailer ?

https://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=299&product_id=4450

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

gctest50 wrote: »
    leccy hoist for mighty frame and you'd be able to lift bags straight off a trailer ?

https://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=299&product_id=4450

Would go for the next one up at least, I know it says 500kg but I doubt it'll lift that much.

Would go for the next one up at least, I know it says 500kg but I doubt it'll lift that much.

:( - i forgot about the "advertising tax"

Take "advertised capacity " and divide it by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭visatorro

I started putting in big bags with spreader on the ground. Put in a tonne and hook on tractor. Only have one tractor. Find it works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Looks very well! Great welds btw. I understand the pulley etc, but what is procedure now? Like how do you get the big bag under the hoist?

Like you get a pallet of 4 bags dropped in the yard....

Muckit wrote: »
    Looks very well! Great welds btw. I understand the pulley etc, but what is procedure now? Like how do you get the big bag under the hoist?

Like you get a pallet of 4 bags dropped in the yard....

I suppose I want to keep things as flexible as possible. I have a loader on the tractor so can move bags around that way. If I want to put out say 1 and 1/2 bags, I can use the bag valve (not bought yet) and drop the 1/2 bag down again on the ground. For safety as much as anything.

• Advertisement

I suppose I want to keep things as flexible as possible. I have a loader on the tractor so can move bags around that way. If I want to put out say 1 and 1/2 bags, I can use the bag valve (not bought yet) and drop the 1/2 bag down again on the ground. For safety as much as anything.

What I do is put the whole bag (500 kgs) in the spreader even if I'm just using 100 kgs and then put a specially made pvc cover over the spreader.
    It'll stay dry then in the spreader.
    I have a fibreglass hopper though. But even the metal bottom at the agitator is staying fine as long as no moisture gets near it to dissolve the fert and cause any rusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭kk.man

What I do is put the whole bag (500 kgs) in the spreader even if I'm just using 100 kgs and then put a specially made pvc cover over the spreader.
    It'll stay dry then in the spreader.
    I have a fibreglass hopper though. Even the metal bottom at the agitator is staying fine as long as no moisture gets near it to dissolve the fert and cause any rusting.
    Very simple...make a hole in the big bag near the top of it..No need to have fertilizer lying in the spreader.

Very simple...make a hole in the big bag near the top of it..No need to have fertilizer lying in the spreader.

I used to do that. (Before i had the cover).
    Very hard to judge the proper amount going into the spreader and then you could end up wasting some on the ground. Plus most fert bags are only meant to be lifted the once. And then there's still the chance the fert can go damp in the bag when there's a hole in it. Even if you stuff the hole with plastic.

I'll stay at what I'm doing and then there's fert in the spreader ready to go for the next time. I've no issues with it anyway. I'm doing it for the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Get a 2 tonne pallet of fertiliser dropped in yard. The first tonne is very easy just slide over to edge of hopper and cut. Lift the the other tonne up andleave it on a stack of pallets and repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

fast forward to today.. Dad and girl come around. She run over. He well behind her, on his phone , walks along path , walks around us and onto the green. NOT ONCE did he look up and acknowledge myself or the wife. For about 5 minutes he stood there looking down at his phone , glanced over at the two of them playing ever so often.. it was like a dead silent blew over. I was just puzzled , he knew they were playing together and it felt like we were being used.

Is there any contraption for tying two gates together quickly ifykwim . It's for a calving pen

A scaffolding hook ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You need a piece of plate welded to 1 gate, with a V shape cut out of it. Then a lenght of stout chain welded/bolted to the other gate. One handed operation to open or close. There is a pic on this thread somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is there any contraption for tying two gates together quickly ifykwim . It's for a calving pen

Twine

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Chain and a snap hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Nekarsulm wrote:
    You need a piece of plate welded to 1 gate, with a V shape cut out of it. Then a lenght of stout chain welded/bolted to the other gate. One handed operation to open or close. There is a pic on this thread somewhere.

Theses are r old gates you wouldn't weld, use it on new gates great job!

Advertisement