Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Nekarsulm wrote:
    You need a piece of plate welded to 1 gate, with a V shape cut out of it. Then a lenght of stout chain welded/bolted to the other gate. One handed operation to open or close. There is a pic on this thread somewhere.

Theses are r old gates you wouldn't weld, use it on new gates great job!
    Get 15 "of 1/2"galv flat .cut a slot to take chain in one end .then make up two u bolts out of threaded bar and drill flat bar two suit two bars of.the gate.just keep it tucked in against end bar of gate .works grand for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

One of mine, rough and ready, but holding up for 15 or so years now.
    2gR69Av.jpg

Just saw your post there, Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just saw your post there, Kev.

Nice. Old muckspreader chain. End weight holds it down too. Would you trust that though, if you werent around?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's on the holding yard, so they don't get to "play" with it 24/7.
    But having said that, it's never been opened by a cow yet.

A smart old doll with horns could do it easy enough, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Farmer wrote: »
    Chain and a snap hook.

Some of them snap hooks are useless, stock can easily sprain them, especially a big lump of a suckler cow!

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I've fitted this on the first loading gate of tractor cattle trailer. Length of 3' chain secured on inside RHS upright of trailer body and draped over RH gate. Notch on LH gate. Close up the LH gate after cattle and secure it with chain, changing position as last animal moves up. Must post a pic next time I'm loading. Saved my bacon a number of times, a God send when on your own. You can then safely tip up the cattle half way up to let up the one on the ramp. I'm surprised it's not fitted as standard on modern cattle trailers.

Nice idea here.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

satstheway wrote: »
    When your posting hit the attach file at the bottom and select camera. U might have to set the megapixels in the camera back in settings or it can be too big.

Here goes
    449218.jpg

449219.jpg

And the rest.
    Thanks for sending them.

449224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

satstheway wrote:
    And the rest. Thanks for sending them.

Tks for putting them up sat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Haven't got round to working with steel or welding so wood will have to do for now.
    449225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Haven't got round to working with steel or welding so wood will have to do for now.

That’s class.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

MeTheMan wrote:

A nice simple idea, and a great way to cart around a few buckets.....

Find it very handy. Will be going into production soon. ;)

MeTheMan wrote: »
    449225.jpg

A bit of thinking outside the box there. I was always using bags and they always need closed.

MeTheMan wrote:
    Find it very handy. Will be going into production soon.

Bet they would sell if you had a likes of them made in moulded plastic...... I could see the likes of jfc running off a couple of them to sell.

Ya same as that. They'd tip and spill or a ewe would tare a hole in one. A lot easier to put out a bucket then a bag as well. The ewes would have ya near flattened before the bag would line up. Have it a few years now and was going to fibreglass it make it more waterproof bit never did. Maybe a quick paint would work as well.

Bet they would sell if you had a likes of them made in moulded plastic...... I could see the likes of jfc running off a couple of them to sell.

Could be improved a bit too. Wee cubby hold in each corner for sprays injections. I'll need to get a patent sorted. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I do this to hold the dehorner ,simple to move

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

enricoh wrote: »
    Can any of ye recommend​ a good auto dim welding helmet. Bought a couple of ones off Amazon, eBay etc and were rubbish- arceye all the time​ . I bought a parweld a few months ago but the face was on fire this week with it.
    Thanks

I see Lidl have the auto-darkening welding helmet in on 10th May at 40 euro with three year warranty. Might be worth a chance with that warranty

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=9054

• Advertisement

Farmer wrote:
    I see Lidl have the auto-darkening welding helmet in on 10th May at 40 euro with three year warranty. Might be worth a chance with that warranty

Bought one 2/3 years ago, don't do a Hugh amount of welding but it's worked any time I've used it. You can adjust it for darkness too. At 40 euro you could spend it on a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not mine - but some good guntering - many involving strapping on some extra HP.
    I think the location may be largely Kerry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone use a post driver to drive in an rsj?

Seem contractor here doing it just wondering is it common practice, or hard on post driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

visatorro wrote: »
    Anyone use a post driver to drive in an rsj?

Seem contractor here doing it just wondering is it common practice, or hard on post driver?

Yea, lots of gates hung on them here, I don't see any problem doing it

Cheapest and best gate posts IMO at the moment can be got from U beams (uprights used on motorway crash barrier).

They are over 15' long, galvanised and available from FRS for around €72incl VAT. Cut in 2 and they're working out at €36 each which is excellent value. Never have to be replaced.

This is the kind of thing that breaks my melt as regards using timber posts. Wire as good as the day it was put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭visatorro

Muckit wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing that breaks my melt as regards using timber posts. Wire as good as the day it was put up.

I'll try figure out how to post pictures again but iv posts that literally rotted away to nothing. I think they went in twelve years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

With all the time and different accessories needed when putting up a fence, skimping on the posts is penny wise pound foolish.

Only over put down octos here over the last while and there's great comfort knowing a fence will be there for 20 years plus.

You'd think by now that they would have come up with a material for fence posts that last a lifetime. Patsy scrathes his head.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Muckit wrote: »
    Cheapest and best gate posts IMO at the moment can be got from U beams (uprights used on motorway crash barrier).

They are over 15' long, galvanised and available from FRS for around €72incl VAT. Cut in 2 and they're working out at €36 each which is excellent value. Never have to be replaced.

Would they be strong enough? If a 16ft gate was hung on one would it sag?

Advertisement