Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

gctest50 wrote: »
    Or go experimenting

( cutaway and RPMs in video .... )

https://youtu.be/SbYp0bVn4pI or one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Latest project, hydraulic log splitter.

often thought of making one or adapting a bought one to suit the loader. have the trailer on the back and do the splitting in the field
    I made my one to suit the loader(50hx).
    Its handy for the big heavy rings that would need 2 people to lift them .
    Bring it to the height of the trailer and slide them on.
    There is also about 2.5 feet of a stroke on the ram . You can stack up multiple rings and do 1 stroke down through them all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

My cylinder is 3.25" dia and 11" stroke. Fine for what I'll be doing.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

My cylinder is 3.25" dia and 11" stroke. Fine for what I'll be doing.

In any other forum you'd be banned ....BANNED for chat like that!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

I've been on some log splitter youtube binges before. I feel another one coming on. This was one that sticks out from the last binge. Bit OTT but well done.

https://youtu.be/Dv5U8Q1AT0A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Neighbour extended his housing facilities 2 years ago and most of his crush had to go. Was left with just a single bay about 8ft with head gate. Was bolting pipes to floor and tying field gates to them to extend crush for testing. Rang during the week saying he was pushed to do test this week and could I do a better job with the crush.
    I saw a home made crush using full lengths of 2inch pipe pushed through 3in upright and could be assembled with very little effort. Uprights standing in 4in box 18in in the ground.
    Decided to try it out for this job. Extend the crush by 20ft with wall on one side. Started Sat evening and finished tonight. Used 1.5in pipe with uprights at 6ft 8 centres. One length of 3in pipe cut in three. Top bar is about 4ft 6 off the ground. Pipes are bolted at far end through 10mm plate welded to existing rail. 51mm holesaw drilled holes for 1.5inpipe. Pic taken before completion but ye get the idea.
    454151.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice job foxy, you're over qualified for the guntering thread though.:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Don't forget to top and cap those either. Sure as hell there'll will be one showjumper that could end up going an impression of a beef skewer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Great job, 1 question, did you use 2" rails? Just that a 51mm is 2". Want to do something similar.

Caps stop it filling with water too. A small hole drilled near the bottom to let out water helps too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Great job, 1 question, did you use 2" rails? Just that a 51mm is 2". Want to do something similar.

OD of pipes is about 48mm. 51mm holesaw to cut holes gives a small bit of leeway. Uprights are 87mm OD 80mm ID 3" in old money. They are a small bit loose in the 4" box but a wedge in the corner sorts that. Called this morning to put on caps and they had cows put through and no complaints.
    I cut the top off the uprights after the pic was taken. Left about 1" above top pipe.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice job foxy, you're over qualified for the guntering thread though.:D

I don't know how I should take that. :)

The crush extension is made so it can be dismantled as its actually in a passage where cows access a feed passage. 3 bits of 3" pipe with a flat plate welded on top are dropped into the 4" box in the floor when not in use. I must make these yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Neighbour extended his housing facilities 2 years ago and most of his crush had to go. Was left with just a single bay about 8ft with head gate. Was bolting pipes to floor and tying field gates to them to extend crush for testing. Rang during the week saying he was pushed to do test this week and could I do a better job with the crush.
    I saw a home made crush using full lengths of 2inch pipe pushed through 3in upright and could be assembled with very little effort. Uprights standing in 4in box 18in in the ground.
    Decided to try it out for this job. Extend the crush by 20ft with wall on one side. Started Sat evening and finished tonight. Used 1.5in pipe with uprights at 6ft 8 centres. One length of 3in pipe cut in three. Top bar is about 4ft 6 off the ground. Pipes are bolted at far end through 10mm plate welded to existing rail. 51mm holesaw drilled holes for 1.5inpipe. Pic taken before completion but ye get the idea.
    454151.jpg

Fantastic job, post saved for my own idea bank.

When u need a second pair of hands... when ratchet strapping down the load!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I bet you licked the door pillar as well ðŸ˜

Bullocks wrote: »
    I bet you licked the door pillar as well ðŸ˜

Nothing wasted here lad!! I couldn't trust him to hold it..... like father like son!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Muckit wrote: »
    When u need a second pair of hands... when ratchet strapping down the load!! :D

A strange complaint I have, how come shops can’t make very small cones for a child when you ask them?

mayota wrote: »
    A strange complaint I have, how come shops can’t make very small cones for a child when you ask them?

Jaysus no such problem around here. Do you not wink at your wan? :)

How come they don't advertise 99s on the telly? You know the way they advertise drink and you'd feel like going for a point. I see someone with a 99 and I have to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

Have you ever see anyone sad eating a 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Muckit wrote: »
    Jaysus no such problem around here. Do you not wink at your wan? :)

Sure that might have the opposite affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

A useful tool we made a few years ago. Anyone want to guess what it's for?

43263955721_7c8ba33e04_c.jpg

29394331368_12723a8b64_c.jpg

41454482670_5f10ce659a_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

emaherx wrote: »

Keeping fence posts turned the right axis and standing plumb as you tap them in. Made a twin of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

emaherx wrote: »

Punching a hole in a new yard scraper rubber? Have one here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Punching a hole in a new yard scraper rubber? Have one here

Not what it was made for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I showed the pic to OH and he said you could use it as a hammer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Melting small amounts of bitumen in, to pour into a crack in the silage pit floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Hinges for a gate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Handy to reach cup of tea?

Advertisement