Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Years ago when we were cutting timber here on the wodden horse, my father had an awfull habit of pointing to the log, telling me where to cut it.... and I about to come down with the chainsaw. One of the reasons why I got the proper log holder.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grueller wrote: »
    Local young lad did that while his grandad was knocking them in with a 3.5 tonne mini digger. Miraculously all he caught was the tip of one finger and it was able to be re-attached.

Lad I was in College with later worked with the farm relief.
    Driving posts with a tractor post driver, the guy on the tractor dropped the weight on his hand.

Didn't lose it, amazingly, but it was very badly smashed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Muckit wrote: »
    Excellent craftsmanship on that cart! Super job.

Those sack cart wheel rims can be of dubious quality l have found. Had the centres fall out of them and wasnt over loaded by any means. But not a big job to upgrade if it does happen

You're right they're not great, but i'll put another set on the front with a steerable dolly to help take a bit of pressure off the back, anything half decent seemed to be upwards of €50 and i did'nt want to spend it for what it was going on, just wanted to make something usefull out of the steel offcuts before the rust go to it. also did'nt want to go for castors or a solid wheel as i have to go over rough ground with it and the air helps to even out the hard bumps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Any one have any pics of wheels attached to a calf deforning crate. Are the wheels movable so as to stop movement when using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Aravo wrote: »
    Any one have any pics of wheels attached to a calf deforning crate. Are the wheels movable so as to stop movement when using it.

Ours us sort of like a wheel barrow and you have tio lift up one side for it to move. Doesnt tend to stir once you have calf in it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Aravo wrote: »

Short chain on the loader is handy too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not farming related, but a lot of smart buckos here with kids.

Was in local playground lately and they had a see saw. The arms were welded at an angle where it pivots and it puzzling me as to why this was done.

I'd love if someone with engineering brwin could explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Was in local playground lately and they had a see saw. The arms were welded at an angle where it pivots and it puzzling me as to why this was done.

Would there be less shear force when pivioted at an angle than if perpendicular/90' to the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

To provide some lateral movement possibly...............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I reckon the welder made a balls of it and just told the council that it was a 'feature'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not sure but by right in doing that it would slow down the seesaw.

The metal tube would be rubbing off the shaft in the corners. As opposed to a straight set up. It'll slow it down a bit provided no grease is used. :pac:

Just imagine that there's corners on a tube! :)

Reggie. wrote: »
    I reckon the welder made a balls of it and just told the council that it was a 'feature'

Tis a company on the continent that nearly supply all playgrounds now as far as l can see

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Known in engineering as a Monday morning job, i'd say.
    What it does do is slightly twist the seat as the see saw goes up. Would that be more fun for the kids?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Just a mad guess here!

I wonder is it a balance/inertia thing. For argument's sake, exaggerate the angle out to say 45 degrees. Now put a pair of unbalanced (weightwise) kids on it. Now each child can lean a bit left or right to alter their distance from the fulcrum, thus better balancing the other child. This kind of stuff happens automatically with kids without having to work out the science.

The question is, does the slight angle shown give enouvh effect

Edit: Other possibility is that its some form of inertia brake to slow it down if the child near the ground suddenly jumps off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Tis a company on the continent that nearly supply all playgrounds now as far as l can see

Is Siberian Hamster feature

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

blue5000 wrote: »
    Short chain on the loader is handy too.

The ones on mine are just on a stub axle and held on with R clips. Just slide them off when working

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I'd hazard a guess and say it's to do with having a greater range to hold on. A small child could hold on and have two points of contact moreso than only have one if the bar was straight and further away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

i would guess there is some pivot in the tube that allows the seat to remain relatively lateral all the way up. Small kids might be pushed forward without it...maybe!

Old bluey got treated to her third (that I know of anyway) hydraulic pump recently.
    456108.jpg
    456109.jpg
    456110.jpg
    456111.jpg

Few more pics here if anyone is interested
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue5th/albums/72157671311010498

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Figerty

blue5000 wrote: »
    Old bluey got treated to her third (that I know of anyway) hydraulic pump recently.

Few more pics here if anyone is interested
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue5th/albums/72157671311010498
    Ford 5000?
    What were you doing with the cable? Lifting off the cover?

Figerty wrote: »
    Ford 5000?
    What were you doing with the cable? Lifting off the cover?

Yes and yes.

Kelloggs gasket.
    Guntering level : professional.

Quick one. On New holland iveco engine is the upside down filter on LHS the hydraulic oil filter?

Quick one. On New holland iveco engine is the upside down filter on LHS the hydraulic oil filter?

engine oil filter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Fix that exhaust blow Muckit.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Kelloggs gasket.
    Guntering level : professional.

Remember the old ear punches going back to headage days that took a half inch hole out of the animal's ear. I keep one of those in the drawer for the larger bolt holes. A leather punch does the small ones. I'm beat for the 8-10mm ones, have to gunther them out with a blade

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    engine oil filter.

Siund. Now theres another longer one on RHS down low. That's hydraulic? I was mixing them up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Farmer wrote: »
    Remember the old ear punches going back to headage days that took a half inch hole out of the animal's ear. I keep one of those in the drawer for the larger bolt holes. A leather punch does the small ones. I'm beat for the 8-10mm ones, have to gunther them out with a blade

Get a piece of flat metal with the correct hole size. Get the hole position on the gasket located over the hole A big ball from a scrapped bearing held on the gasket at the desired position given a tap of a hammer will cut a nice neat hole in the cardboard.

• Advertisement

Farmer wrote: »

A big ball bearing, as big as a good sized marble will cut a perfect hole in your gasket.
    Position the gasket material over the part, and with your thumb press the cardboard into the hole, making a slight indent.
    Place the ball bearing into the dent in the cardboard, and GENTLY tap it with a light hammer.
    It will cut out a perfect circle.

Edit,just saw Foxy had already posted it.

Advertisement