Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Get a piece of flat metal with the correct hole size. Get the hole position on the gasket located over the hole A big ball from a scrapped bearing held on the gasket at the desired position given a tap of a hammer will cut a nice neat hole in the cardboard.

My dad showed me that about 20 years ago. I've a box with about 30 old ball bearings in it for that purpose now.
    I've realised I'm turning into my father :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    Siund. Now theres another longer one on RHS down low. That's hydraulic? I was mixing them up!!

Could be a costly mistake. Heard a story recently from a guy that walked into a yard to find his young fella and a trainee mechanic friend just after filling the engine with hydraulic oil.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Could be a costly mistake. Heard a story recently from a guy that walked into a yard to find his young fella and a trainee mechanic friend just after filling the engine with hydraulic oil.

Some tractors will take the same oil in rhe engine and back end

Some tractors will take the same oil in rhe engine and back end

Universal oil but not hydraulic oil.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Younger brother did it here too, that's how we got a 6410 engine in a 5000;)

Heard of another lad thinking his Fiat gearbox and back end oil were all the one, changed the oil, but only put oil in the back end and left the gearbox dry. If in doubt ask someone who already has one the same as you, don't be shy.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Figerty

Nned to do something similar with a 4000. But the body work needs replacing...just waiting for sterling to crash a bit before getting the panels and wings!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

Made this up to service a field with no water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is that a manual fill from the tap or is there a valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I need to plum it up there is a ball cock in the drinker, there is a valve on the IBC which I can close off when moving,

I'm think of putting a tap beside the drinker so I could use it to connect a hose off gravity feed if I ever need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

blue5000 wrote: »

Younger brother did it here too, that's how we got a 6410 engine in a 5000;)

Heard of another lad thinking his Fiat gearbox and back end oil were all the one, changed the oil, but only put oil in the back end and left the gearbox dry. If in doubt ask someone who already has one the same as you, don't be shy.

I worked in a lorry garage when i was younger. I got a bolliking one day for putting shell 15w40 into a lorry over texaco 15w40.
    Jaysus. Thats way more expensive and too good for that lorry. He wont pay for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Found this on Facebook.
    Thought it worth a share, easily modified to suit other gear boxes or awkward sumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

emaherx wrote:
    Found this on Facebook. Thought it worth a share, easily modified to suit other gear boxes or awkward sumps.

If the strap from the pipe to the magnet was adjustable it would work on most yokes.
    Very smart idea

emaherx wrote: »
    Found this on Facebook.
    Thought it worth a share, easily modified to suit other gear boxes or awkward sumps.

I'm not on facebook, but the likes of that makes me want to join!

While we're talking about oil changes etc, any tips on replacing O ring and plastic lads in hydraulic couplings? Are they done from the front or has the coupling to come off and they accessed from the back?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

While we're talking about oil changes etc, any tips on replacing O ring and plastic lads in hydraulic couplings? Are they done from the front or has the coupling to come off and they accessed from the back?

Thanks

Done from the front. But would a vid on how to do it would be nice

I've never replaced the o-rings but here's a video;

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Good video I changed them from the front and the plastic bit was a bit awkward. It worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

emaherx wrote: »
    Found this on Facebook.

I bought a yoke on ebay a few years back called form a funnel. Basically an a4 sheet which you bend to form a funnel or tray to divert oil or water or the like. Very handy.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332396355368

https://youtu.be/C7pm3tkl7tU

Yes thanks. But l don't think mine are as complicated. The kit l got has only one O ring and 2 white plastic washers. I presume one to go each side of O ring.

satstheway wrote: »
    Good video I changed them from the front and the plastic bit was a bit awkward. It worked for me.

Yes mine appears to only have one white washer. But not sure if should have another one on inside of Oring.

• Advertisement

satstheway wrote: »

Yes mine appears to only have one white washer.   But not sure if should have another one on inside of Oring.
    I changed one recently the white washer was split, there was only one washer and one o-ring.
    Be careful taking the old out not to scratch the metal inside as this will cause a leak, use plastic or brass o-ring picks, put the washer in first as it will be awkward and tight for space if the o-ring is in first

I changed one recently the white washer was split, there was only one washer and one o-ring.
    Be careful taking the old out not to scratch the metal inside as this will cause a leak, use plastic or brass o-ring picks, put the washer in first as it will be awkward and tight for space if the o-ring is in first

Good man. Thanks. Does the O ring go in behind with the white plastic washer to the front ?

Muckit wrote:
    Good man. Thanks. Does the O ring go in behind with the white plastic washer to the front ?

O-ring goes in behind the washer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Is getting the front hub seals changed a big/expensive job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is getting the front hub seals changed a big/expensive job?

No. It's a job you could do yourself easily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone noticed hammer handles gone loose in the hot weather?

This works overnight anyway;

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed hammer handles gone loose in the hot weather?

This works overnight anyway;

What is ethiline glycol to a bog monkey like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What is ethiline glycol to a bog monkey like myself?
    Anti-freeze.
    My Grandfather used to soak the handles of the hand tools in a barrel of bluestone (copper sulphate) that was made up to spray the potatoes for blight.

I've an old Howard side spreader here, that's over 30 years old. Bought second hand even then. Tyres are getting very dozed, so decided to try opening the nuts. All opened no problem with a heavy duty socket and a short bar, 18" or so. Didn't even have to put a foot on the bar.
    Now, I never opened them before. Maybe the last guy greased them but I put burned engine oil all over the spreader evrey year after using. Just goes to show.
    I've had to cut off wheel nuts before on a trailer, as they were seized up that much.

• Advertisement

Brake fluid and acetone mixed 50:50 is a diy mix l heard about on YouTube to cut through rust and help loosen nuts and bolts. I've tried it recently and works well

Advertisement