Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ive a fair few 12 inch lengths of 1/2 inch rebar from a bit of a shed project. Is there any way to gunter them into springiness so that I could use them as teeth on a landscape rake project I'm planning?

I've got a 6ft. length of 5 * 2 " RSJ that I'm going to use as the weighted horizontal member to which I will be cowboying a 3 point connection. I was hoping to use the rebar cutoffs as springy tines, but at the minute, they'd be more like rubber carrots...

Lots of guys making knives from rebar on youtube. Do you have a gas torch? Try heating a bit to red hot and quench in oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcl3LFzBU7o

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

TomOnBoard wrote:
    I've got a 6ft. length of 5 * 2 " RSJ that I'm going to use as the weighted horizontal member to which I will be cowboying a 3 point connection. I was hoping to use the rebar cutoffs as springy tines, but at the minute, they'd be more like rubber carrots...

Pick up some leaf springs from the scrap yard they will be a way better jib than rebar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Fixing up an old cattle trailer. But couldn't get wheel nuts off. Redend the nuts with gas and hung out off them using a scaffolding pole as a breaker bar extension but they wouldn't budge.

Bit the bullet and bought a nut buster and I'm so impressed with the power of this thing.

30205991468_e7ae618ff3_c.jpg

Couldn't get replacement tyres for the old rims so had to invest in rims too.

30205987308_ae66b3d405_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Looks smart!
    Has that axle got left-hand-thread nuts on one side, Emaherx?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Looks smart!
    Has that axle got left-hand-thread nuts on one side, Emaherx?

Yes left-hand on the side shown. Nuts marked with an L. When I couldn't get them to budge I was starting to doubt it though!

• Advertisement

Ya, right side of the trailer has left hand nuts. I have those same rims on an old trailer here. I had to cut off the nuts and studs. Managed to get new truck bolts to suit. I'll take a pic later.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Here ya go. Looking at them now, not sure exactly what I did. Few years ago. I think the washers inside the outer nuts are domed. Bolts are fixed from the back.

Here ya go. Looking at them now, not sure exactly what I did. Few years ago. I think the washers inside the outer nuts are domed. Bolts are fixed from the back.

Was going to be doing the exact same only for the nut buster. Original studs have a nut front and back but middle bit is keyed to stop stud spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Pick up some leaf springs from the scrap yard they will be a way better jib than rebar

Yeah, thats probably a lot more sensible and worth looking into. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

Remember trying to loosen a wheel on an old trailer here before. Sure I hadn't a clue about left hand threads. Dunno how I didn't ring the studs. Gave up and rang tyre crowd and yer man just spun them off with the gun. Me after nearly breaking myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Ya, right side of the trailer has left hand nuts. .

Oh. That explains a lot. Bust them off and now can't get off hub

Ya, right side of the trailer has left hand nuts. I have those same rims on an old trailer here. I had to cut off the nuts and studs. Managed to get new truck bolts to suit. I'll take a pic later.

Just for the record, it's the left hand side that should have the Left Hand Threaded Nuts. My new trailer has them on the right hand side, but I guess the axle is on the wrong way around.
    By the way, the reason for them is so that they tend to tighten rather than loosen when you brake hard. Inertia forces and all that.
    Only old English vehicles have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭White Clover

Just for the record, it's the left hand side that should have the Left Hand Threaded Nuts. My new trailer has them on the right hand side, but I guess the axle is on the wrong way around.
    By the way, the reason for them is so that they tend to tighten rather than loosen when you brake hard. Inertia forces and all that.

Spot on. Had a left hand wheel off the trailer here 2 weeks ago and they were left hand threads.

They are on the left side of my trailer anyway, but I'm sure about half of second hand lorry axles on old trailers are on backwards or upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

emaherx wrote: »
    They are on the left side of my trailer anyway, but I'm sure about half of second hand lorry axles on old trailers are on backwards or upside down.

I have an old sedan trailer at home with breaks, ie a lever at the front that you pull to work them, the previous owner said you tied a rope to the lever and pulled when you wanted breaks.

The axel was mounted backwards so the breaks would work when you pulled the lever.

I refurbished the trailer and made the breaks hydraulic so could then mount the axel correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

One of my clients asked me to make a forged gate for his garden. Here’s my progress so far, bolted together just for effect, intention is to hot rivet it together.
    My blacksmithing skills don’t extend much beyond traditional Farriery, but metal and hammers are metal and hammers. Said I’d give it a go...

Hopefully few less calves squeeze there way out through the crush now...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

TheFarrier wrote: »
    One of my clients asked me to make a forged gate for his garden. Here’s my progress so far, bolted together just for effect, intention is to hot rivet it together.
    My blacksmithing skills don’t extend much beyond traditional Farriery, but metal and hammers are metal and hammers. Said I’d give it a go...

Looks great so far, don't forget to post pics of the finished job.
    Any chance of a pic of your forge please? I'd love to have a forge and do some basic stuff.

Any chance of a pic of your forge please? I'd love to have a forge and do some basic stuff.

Yeah I’ll snap a few when I get home this evening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Welcome TheFarrier, do you find it hard to buy solid bars?

Does anybody want to guess what's going on here? No mods need to answer, thanks;)

458942.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

blue5000 wrote: »

Does anybody want to guess what's going on here? No mods need to answer, thanks;)

attachment.php?attachmetid=458942&stc=1&d=1534800398

a medieval heated toilet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

458942.jpg

You're smelting all those robbed phone lines using your new found knowledge of charcoal/biochar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

458942.jpg

Burning out a stump?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

458942.jpg

Are you trying to smoke the last bit of water out of the well?

458942.jpg

No hassle buying bars. Local steel merchant has everything anyone could do want, and if he doesn’t have it he’ll get it.

In the photo, I’d guess your going casting something, probably aluminum???

Coke fire
    Gas fire (one of two)
    Anvil (one of too many)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

What the chain wrapped round the anvil for??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

stock> wrote: »

An old farrier trick. The chain keeps the anvil weighted down so it wont float away...

stock> wrote: »

Ha. I was cutting a length of the chain so I stuck one end in the vice, wrapped the other around the anvil and moved the anvil til it took strain. Cut away with the grinder then. Never had reason to remove the chain...

• Advertisement

Bought one of these HMT holecutters. Tungstun carbide tipped. Savage to cut drill holes. Pricey at €45 a go, but so far so good.
    I have a magnetic drill with standard drill chuck and it fits this.

https://holemaker-technology.com/collections/versadrive/products/versadrive-carbidemax-tct-holesaws

Advertisement