Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Bought one of these HMT holecutters. Tungstun carbide tipped. Savage to cut drill holes. Pricey at €45 a go, but so far so good.
    I have a magnetic drill with standard drill chuck and it fits this.

https://holemaker-technology.com/collections/versadrive/products/versadrive-carbidemax-tct-holesaws

Better than the mag drill cutters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

9935452 wrote: »
    Better than the mag drill cutters ?
    Never used them so can't say. I got the mag drill for nothing and it had a reg drill chuck on it. These cutters centre well with the pilot drill though.
    These cutters do come with an adaptor to fit them on the mag drill with the 2 face chuck.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I got the mag drill for nothing.

Feck you Patsy if ya fell out a window ya go up..............

stock> wrote: »

More like a case of nobody else wanting it. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

That never seem to happen to me Patsy.................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

I see that crowd gasweld.ie have a special on on mag drill cutters , all sizes , eg a 25mm 21+vat minus 20 % off. Not bad value.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

stock> wrote: »
    More like a case of nobody else wanting it. :D

Patsy yer as lucky as a black :D cat Being in the right place at the right time is lucky too.

Anyway clue no. 2

459139.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

blue5000 wrote: »
    Patsy yer as lucky as a black :D cat Being in the right place at the right time is lucky too.

Anyway clue no. 2

459139.jpg

Biochar?!;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyway clue no. 2

459139.jpg

Bring on clue no. 3

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Is it coke?

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Say my name; Bring on clue no. 3[/QUOTE]

As requested;

459248.jpg

Oh, and I met Tim from Tang today too, always good to meet a boardsie.

Edit, webels you're getting warmer, but no coke involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Charcoal.
    Rocket stove.

And a wild guess burning clay/soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Calcination to make lime from limestone?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Furnace festival in Woodford.

Furnace festival in Woodford.

We have a winner!:)

https://www.facebook.com/FurnaceProject/?hc_ref=ARSqJ3nuV9fU7OwMpA8mLw266VHFiAPzwiTIGhn989ET7HgjoOhIY01_C9sX33Qb0hs&__xts__[0]=68.ARAru6aV64Mcf_6BNnkI_wogMfMLgjHsSO-ZFQANit9WW3MHxfShgfrELhUlz21Ttc2Nwi-gqM-Xz5ST1EHsmv1lXF6qpL47uuLqL4ykiSNLzLAapK5mQCnfmhSGgyTbckNkHfM&__tn__=kC-R

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

We have a winner!:)

https://www.facebook.com/FurnaceProject/?hc_ref=ARSqJ3nuV9fU7OwMpA8mLw266VHFiAPzwiTIGhn989ET7HgjoOhIY01_C9sX33Qb0hs&__xts__[0]=68.ARAru6aV64Mcf_6BNnkI_wogMfMLgjHsSO-ZFQANit9WW3MHxfShgfrELhUlz21Ttc2Nwi-gqM-Xz5ST1EHsmv1lXF6qpL47uuLqL4ykiSNLzLAapK5mQCnfmhSGgyTbckNkHfM&__tn__=kC-R

Hoping to get down over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Progress on the garden gate, long day of drilling down, sick of the sight of swarf now tbh.

Gate mocked up, only to cut and shape the uprights to final fit before riveting, and make the damn rivets too I suppose.

Weighs a jaysus ton, I may have to go and look at the pier and see how I’m gonna hang it...

459573.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

You're making the revits or just forming them?

Odelay wrote: »
    You're making the revits or just forming them?

Length of 10mm round outside in the shed waiting to be upset into rivets, reckoned if I was going traditional I’d go the whole hog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Length of 10mm round outside in the shed waiting to be upset into rivets, reckoned if I was going traditional I’d go the whole hog

Fair play!

My grandfather was a farrier too and there are still plenty of his gates still hanging and going strong.
    He did same as you with revits for the uprights but mortice and tennoned the posts.

• Advertisement

I thought about mortise and tenon joints but the thoughts of trying to drive a punch through the 30mm square on my own gave me shivers. As it was forging the ends down to round was a torturous undertaking. Definitely going to borrow a power hammer in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I thought about mortise and tenon joints but the thoughts of trying to drive a punch through the 30mm square on my own gave me shivers. As it was forging the ends down to round was a torturous undertaking. Definitely going to borrow a power hammer in future.

Are the power hammers dear to buy , they would take some sweating out of the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Does it need an angle brace or is it possible to have the rivets tight enough to keep its shape?

Fair play, It's a fair difference to the stuff in the galv gate thread that's running at the moment

Does authenticity extend as far as not hot dipping it also or what are your plans for a finish?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Are the power hammers dear to buy , they would take some sweating out of the job :D

Mate of mine bought one from the turn of the century, he paid €1800, but in the absence of 3 phase power it came with a Massey 165 engine attached.
    I haven’t come across many single phase ones to know what they’re worth, id nearly buy one if I found one

Farmer wrote: »
    Does it need an angle brace or is it possible to have the rivets tight enough to keep its shape?

Fair play, It's a fair difference to the stuff in the galv gate thread that's running at the moment

Does authenticity extend as far as not hot dipping it also or what are your plans for a finish?

I was only thinking about the brace a few minutes ago. I hadn’t allowed for one up to now but I can’t see it being a huge hassle to add one if required.

As far as finish, I’d love to douse it on brake fluid or something that would give it a rusty finish, maybe even heat it. But i must speak to the man that wants it and see does he want me to paint it or what.

Mate of mine bought one from the turn of the century, he paid €1800, but in the absence of 3 phase power it came with a Massey 165 engine attached.
    I haven’t come across many single phase ones to know what they’re worth, id nearly buy one if I found one

Or make one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YJob6JM2t0

After posting the above link, I had a look at some of his other videos. Not a good idea, late at night. Ended up watching these to the end.

International tractor engine rebuild. 6 parts in all;

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Yeah, he's excellent, the kind of fellow you'd like to have living nearby. There are so many youtube videos of fellows talking for 30 minutes about something that should have taken 5.but there's no bull with this guy. Fair play to him

Nice to see people keeping the old stuff going

Ya, great videos. I'd draw the line at going at engines. One error and you could do a lot of damage. Still, if you had an old tractor lying around the place, you'd be tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

https://youtu.be/fbGMncnK8ws

This lads another no nonse dinger

Advertisement