Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

bamayang wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/fbGMncnK8ws

This lads another no nonse dinger

After you get over how impressive his work is, it kinda dawns on you........
    .how useful a front loader is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Latest project. Added channel to side of trailer to carry silage bales. First added two 300mm lengths to each end with a flat plate welded on underneath. I drop the longer length on the lower plates and slide it in. Had to cut slots for the side hinges. Easy enough to get on and off using the crane hoist. Toughest part was cutting the slots with the angle grinder. It's 200x90mm channel and side walls are about 12mm. Bolted on with m16 bolts.

Brings the overall width of the trailer to 8 feet. Haven't figured how to make the channel ends covered yet. An accident waiting to happen with an oncoming car.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

More pics.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I would suggest you add front maker lights as the headboard is now narrower than the overall width iykwim. Will you need an engineers report or are tractor trailers exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Base price wrote: »
    I would suggest you add front maker lights as the headboard is now narrower than the overall width iykwim. Will you need an engineers report or are tractor trailers exempt.

Tractor trailers aren't registered, and you are still allowed to use farm built trailers (with restrictions on speed/weight)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

emaherx wrote: »

Tractor trailers aren't registered, and you are still allowed to use farm built trailers (with restrictions on speed/weight)
    Why not stick a light up the channel out of harm's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Latest project. Added channel to side of trailer to carry silage bales. First added two 300mm lengths to each end with a flat plate welded on underneath. I drop the longer length on the lower plates and slide it in. Had to cut slots for the side hinges. Easy enough to get on and off using the crane hoist. Toughest part was cutting the slots with the angle grinder. It's 200x90mm channel and side walls are about 12mm. Bolted on with m16 bolts.

Brings the overall width of the trailer to 8 feet. Haven't figured how to make the channel ends covered yet. An accident waiting to happen with an oncoming car.

Could you angle them at a 45 degree and weld a bit of flat over them . As BP said a light coming out wouldn't go astray either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Bullocks wrote: »
    Could you angle them at a 45 degree and weld a bit of flat over them . As BP said a light coming out wouldn't go astray either

Id be more inclined to weld an upright to extend the headboard out. Then it would be like a normal 8ft wide trailer.
    Don't know about lights as they may be the first thing damaged at the front corner, use the white reflective trailer strip on the edge of the new headboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Too tidy to be classified as 'Guntering'!

I'm only asking in case someone ends up at the wrong end of the law or RSA. We have removable livestock bodies on both lorries and we carry engineers reports as we both have been asked for them at RSA/multi agency checkpoints.

I had a quick look at the RSA regulations and trailers drawn by tractors rated 40km/h and above have to be plated and speed rated. If patsy's tractor has a 40km/h/+ box then that trailer falls under the regulations.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Vehicle-Standards/Agricultural-Vehicles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I'm only asking in case someone ends up at the wrong end of the law or RSA. We have removable livestock bodies on both lorries and we carry engineers reports as we both have been asked for them at RSA/multi agency checkpoints.

I had a quick look at the RSA regulations and trailers drawn by tractors rated 40km/h and above have to be plated and speed rated. If patsy's tractor has a 40km/h/+ box then that trailer falls under the regulations.

How would guards/rsa know what speed your tractor can do if you are stoped at checkpoint?

cute geoge wrote: »
    How would guards/rsa know what speed your tractor can do if you are stoped at checkpoint?
    Newer tractors should/are supposed to have a visible plate normally inside the cab or on one of the door jams stating rated power, weight, drawing weight etc. The same as regulated trailers have to have a log book and visable plate with the reg number, net and tare weights, axle weights etc and the reg number welded into the chassis. Regulated trailers have to pass an annual DOE test the same as newer 40km/h + commercial tractors will have to from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Suckler wrote: »
    Too tidy to be classified as 'Guntering'!
    +1

Any more of that lark and I'll have to ban you, Patsy:p

Tractor wont be going 40kph, thats for sure.:D Will only be using it to draw from a mile away and half of that is a private road. Might cut it back at 45 deg as Suckler said and weld on a plate. If I don't do it now, i'll never do it.
    I was going to use the loader to take them on and off, but the manual crane hoist is ideal for it and safer too.

His tractor can be capable of 40kph just the trailer if unplated may not be towed at speeds exceeding 40kph.

Biggest issue with his modification will be lighting. Additional marker lights will be required if the trailer is now wider than the tractor.

Tractor wont be going 40kph, thats for sure.:D Will only be using it to draw from a mile away and half of that is a private road. Might cut it back at 45 deg as Suckler said and weld on a plate. If I don't do it now, i'll never do it.
    I was going to use the loader to take them on and off, but the manual crane hoist is ideal for it and safer too.
    I wasn't trying to be annoying/controversial with my comments Patsy it's just that EU regulations are now be enforced in Ireland.

I wasn't trying to be annoying/controversial with my comments Patsy it's just that EU regulations are now be enforced in Ireland.

They are and rightfully too. State of some excuses of trailers still on the road is rediculous. However there is no comparison between regulations on lorry trailers and agricultural tractor trailers.

They are and rightfully too. State of some excuses of trailers still on the road is rediculous. However there is no comparison between regulations on lorry trailers and agricultural tractor trailers.
    Over time the agri sector will catch up. I wonder in other EU countries are the regulations implemented. Maybe if Dawg is reading this he might let us know what the situation is in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

As someone else has said. Angle the two 300mm lengths at 45Degree in towards the original corners of the trailers. Paint all the new bits to match existing colour of trailer. But put reflective strips on those 45Degree corners at front and back of the trailer, will shine up well against any oncoming car-lights, and will be well visible on their own in daylight.

Any fellow guntherers ever make up a hydraulic post driver? It's the weight I can't figure out. Hit the scrapyards maybe? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Any fellow guntherers ever make up a hydraulic post driver? It's the weight I can't figure out. Hit the scrapyards maybe? :rolleyes:

A eighbour got a load of punch outs for the galvanising holes in gates from an engineering firm to make one. Its still a bit light though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Will post a pic tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have an old tractor trailer that is approx 12ft x 7ft. Have the upper creels and all but they are never on anymore, it's only used for turf and some grain. The sides and back are larch and I would like to put a grain opening box in the tail board. Something simple, no hydraulics, no springs etc. Can something be bought and bolted on or is it a welding job from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'm having to sort a few electrical gremlins on the tractor. New battery fitted today. No master switch fitted and as tractor is over 20 yrs it would be sensible to fit one as wiring could be getting a bit shook. Made one that negative lead is bolted /unbolted from chassis. Unistrut angle bracket M12 bolt and a few nuts and washers and a few mins with the welder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Friend made one. I’ll ask him what he used

Think malone weight here is 350kg or 380kg

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Aravo wrote: »
    Have an old tractor trailer that is approx 12ft x 7ft. Have the upper creels and all but they are never on anymore, it's only used for turf and some grain. The sides and back are larch and I would like to put a grain opening box in the tail board. Something simple, no hydraulics, no springs etc. Can something be bought and bolted on or is it a welding job from scratch.

Easy option would be to source the gate valve off the back of a slurry tanker. And weld a strong enough frame in the door for it. It wouldn't be the greatest for shutting it with a flow of grain but I still think it would work good enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Little brother copied a FRS one, I think the weight is 600kg ish. Need lots of pulleys and a decent wire rope and loads of grease on the cable, pulleys, and sliding part of the weight. You would want to be a decent welder though, 600 kg up over your head and something breaking could be a lot messier than a bad birdsh1te welding job gone wrong. :eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Little brother copied a FRS one, I think the weight is 600kg ish. Need lots of pulleys and a decent wire rope and loads of grease on the cable, pulleys, and sliding part of the weight. You would want to be a decent welder though, 600 kg up over your head and something breaking could be a lot messier than a bad birdsh1te welding job gone wrong. :eek:

I hear ya on the safety. What did ye use for the weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

350 KGS in one we made at work and its plenty heavy,never seen it to fail yet.melted lead offcuts into length of tube to make the weight..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I hear ya on the safety. What did ye use for the weight?

I think it's mostly scrap iron packed tight in a box about 16'' square and about 24'' high. It can go down to ground level, so can be used to tidy up bushes to get into the corners of a field to drive a strainer, or clean up stuff along the hedges before the wire is up. The box was made of 1/2 plate with a double layer on the bottom so that the top inside plate fits inside the 4 sides and the lower plate fits outside the four sides, ie. the outside plate is an inch bigger than the inside plate.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement