Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Can you get them 'of the shelf'? I remember putting them on a finger bar mower cutting bar years ago.

You can but anywhere I found online that had them were selling them by the thousand.

Also I’m not sure they’re available in the length I wanted them for the heel of the gate, I don’t think much would have been riveted so thick, there may be a reason for that, I’m only flying by the seat of my trousers with this project, the rivets may not hold the weight of the gate together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Got a job this evening lifting a few slats with the digger for a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

TheFarrier wrote:
    Also I’m not sure they’re available in the length I wanted them for the heel of the gate, I don’t think much would have been riveted so thick, there may be a reason for that, I’m only flying by the seat of my trousers with this project, the rivets may not hold the weight of the gate together.

TheFarrier wrote:
    You can but anywhere I found online that had them were selling them by the thousand.

What size you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Got a job this evening lifting a few slats with the digger for a neighbour.

That looks like a right job. Quick going together once the uprights were in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Hagimalone wrote: »
    What size you looking for?

The longest ones I wanted were 10mm diameter with a 55mm shank. I’ve those made now. Must crack on with the rest now, should get them finished tomoro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

That looks like a right job. Quick going together once the uprights were in place?

A lot quicker than I expected. Granted only 6 bays to be done. He had cut slats already fitted on the bottom when the RSJs were being stood. Might throw in a tender for a bit of Trumps bounds ditch with Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Probably fine for a straight grained timber.....................................

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

stock> wrote: »
    Probably fine for a straight grained timber.....................................

Yeah. Would be some Craic splitting a nobbly beech tree with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone know any way of mounting crush pipe onto H-irons without have to bore it? Somewhat similar to gate hangers? Surely must be some sort of clamps made up t hold it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

MfMan wrote: »
    Anyone know any way of mounting crush pipe onto H-irons without have to bore it? Somewhat similar to gate hangers? Surely must be some sort of clamps made up t hold it....

Google RSJ Pipe clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can you weld on slightly bigger pipes and slide them through.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Trying to avoid welding also! Easiest solution possible.
    Thanks Emaherx, objects for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Trying to avoid welding also! Easiest solution possible.
    Thanks Emaherx, objects for thought.
    Is it a temporary job you are after or a lack of electricity thats the problem .

If you knew someone with gas and burned the holes might work .

Portable band saw in Aldi this week for €189.99. Cuts 127mm x 127mm.
    Just saying like..............

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-240v-portable-bandsaw/p/086075229503400

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why did ya show me that

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Reggie. wrote:
    Why did ya show me that

Snap. I looked at it and now trying to figure out what i can use it for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

On the plus side it's gear driven and not belt driven.

I might have had a go at it but i bought an evo355 saw yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Aldi.Co.UK? Not seeing it on the Irish site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Damo810 wrote: »
    Aldi.Co.UK? Not seeing it on the Irish site?

But they do deliver, so parcel motel

• Advertisement

This is from their Irish Catalogue. On sale 27th Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Stupid question but what would ye use it for?. With a few more € you would get a bigger better make. Probably buy it anyway can't really give at that price.

I've been doing a lot of cutting/welding the last few years. The thin grinder discs cut away fine but very time consuming.
    Don't know if I have enough work going forward though. All DIY stuff around the farm.

How much did the Evolution 355 cost SuperTortoise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Can that blade be got for any chopsaw? Ive a metabo with abrasive disc

That's the rage 2 as they call it, i got the Evo Raptor, only slight difference is the base is fully cast and a heavier motor in the raptor, not a huge ammount of difference in the price so went with the heavier option.

€270 delivered, Amazon. Blades can be expensive think they are around the €65+ mark.
    Have'nt had a chance to use it yet but i have a few projects for it over the next few months.

Had i not bought it i probably would have bought that saw you linked, handy enough around the workshop and the saw blades are bound to be cheaper.

Muckit wrote: »
    Can that blade be got for any chopsaw? Ive a metabo with abrasive disc

NEVER run a TCT blade on you abrasive chop saw, the motor in an abrasive chop saw spins at roughly 3 times the speed it does in a cold cut chop saw, you will ABSOLUTELY destroy the carbide tips on the blade and there's a decent chance the blade will shatter.

Had i not bought it i probably would have bought that saw you linked, handy enough around the workshop and the saw blades are bound to be cheaper.

I dunno. Aldi stuff can be so so. I used a band saw before at work and it doesn't cut that square. The lads using it would always mill the cut ends after to get them square.
    Let us know how the raptor 355 cuts. Just watched a few videos there on youtube and it does look good.

Stupid question but what would ye use it for?. With a few more € you would get a bigger better make. Probably buy it anyway can't really give at that price.

5 inch cutting capacity not to be sneezed at, even something simple like gang cutting plates as one example speeds it up over using an angle grinder, also no dust like you get from a grinder.

To go up in makes you'd be looking at a good few euro more, any of the known brands would be 3 times that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

5 inch cutting capacity not to be sneezed at, even something simple like gang cutting plates as one example speeds it up over using an angle grinder, also no dust like you get from a grinder.

To go up in makes you'd be looking at a good few euro more, any of the known brands would be 3 times that price.

The one thing i would question is cutting speed.
    A lad i work for bought a small bandsaw from spaldings which is a similar size to that. Even with a new blade its painfully slow to cut. So much so we havent used it in years. Grinder or chopsaw gets used instead.
    In comparison i have a bigger bandsaw with a 16x9 capacity. It will cut 100x12mm flat in under 30 seconds.

Advertisement