Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

9935452 wrote: »
    Is it a temporary job you are after or a lack of electricity thats the problem .

If you knew someone with gas and burned the holes might work .

It's a bit of both. It's would be for uprights in a field away from mains. I've a portable gennie and a drill, but it's *very* slow boring sizeable holes for bolt on brackets, with the bits going blunt after a short while. It's not a big job so don't want the hassle of having to go and ask somebody. Is it easy to burn out holes using gas? Can one get small portable gas burners?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MfMan wrote: »
    It's a bit of both. It's would be for uprights in a field away from mains. I've a portable gennie and a drill, but it's *very* slow boring sizeable holes for bolt on brackets, with the bits going blunt after a short while. It's not a big job so don't want the hassle of having to go and ask somebody. Is it easy to burn out holes using gas? Can one get small portable gas burners?

why not a portable welder, most plant hire places have them, if you had it ready to go together you'd do a lot of welding in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Pod123

Just wondering could you burn them out with a welder??did it one time with angle iron turned welder up high and burned through.
    Someone else here might be able to advise better.

Pod123 wrote: »
    Just wondering could you burn them out with a welder??did it one time with angle iron turned welder up high and burned through.
    Someone else here might be able to advise better.

Or hire a magnetic drill if you really just want to bolt it together, would rill through in no time, much tidier.....what size is your gennie

wrangler wrote: »
    Or hire a magnetic drill if you really just want to bolt it together, would rill through in no time, much tidier.....what size is your gennie

It's an Aldi one (:)) so doubt if it would run a mag drill. Wonder are mag drills easy to hire / run? Don't think I've ever worked one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

It's an Aldi one (:)) so doubt if it would run a mag drill. Wonder are mag drills easy to hire / run? Don't think I've ever worked one.
    50 a day-. but that must have been 6 years ago or more and you have to buy the bits which are 25 to 30 a piece.
    I welded that job together instead at the time and will eventually buy myself a magdrill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Youll need at least a 6kva gennie to comfortably run a 180 amp welder.
    I would only use an aircooled or oil cooled welder on the gennie, I'd be afraid of cooking the electronics on "inverter" or mig machines."

O.A.P wrote: »
    50 a day-. but that must have been 6 years ago or more and you have to buy the bits which are 25 to 30 a piece.
    I welded that job together instead at the time and will eventually buy myself a magdrill.

A few years since i hired one too, worked it on a 2.5kw gennie. once you use plenty of cutting oil the bits would last...you wouldn't use a hand drill on a pillar after using the mag drill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you havent cemented in the uprights yet, would it be practical to make up the entire crush at the home place, then bring it down the fields and dig the holes to suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Why not do something like this? Welding a bolt to a short length or large diameter pipe and then bolt them in to the RSJ, slide your pipe in and use a duck bill pipe joiner to join the lenghts of pipe.Get some good quality drills and a decent cutting fluid or paste and a battery drill would do the job.

Crush_zpsgq5cy7pk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Use U Bolts and hole rsj with mag drill and generator.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Is it a temporary job you are after or a lack of electricity thats the problem .

If you knew someone with gas and burned the holes might work .

You can get small bottles of gas .
    When you are used to using gas. 30 seconds would burn a 2 inch hole in an rsj

Thanks for all replies, plenty of food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

A good battery drill with a sharp pilot bit and sharp correct size bit and cutting fluid will drill all the holes you want. Cutting fluid or oil will be your best friend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I had lad put up a cattle pen for me lately. He'd a milwalkee battery magdrill. Some job. No noisy jennie needed. I'm sure they could be hired out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »
    I had lad put up a cattle pen for me lately. He'd a milwalkee battery magdrill. Some job. No noisy jennie needed. I'm sure they could be hired out.

I never knew you could get a battery one , I wonder what size batteries and do they last long

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Bullocks wrote: »
    I never knew you could get a battery one , I wonder what size batteries and do they last long

I wasn't with him all the time and didn't have a right look at drill but they were m16 bolts he had to drill for and there were over 100 bolts used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Muckit wrote: »

Last time i checked the price on them they were 4K :eek:

I posted about these cutters a while back. Great job.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107855332&postcount=4561

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A decent drill is next on the shopping list, made the mistake of buying a cheap bench mounted drill press last year, disaster, never again.

Leaning towards a mag drill at the minute, mostly because i have no 3 phase.

• Advertisement

I posted about these cutters a while back. Great job.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107855332&postcount=4561

Have they a good lifespan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

Muckit wrote:

You may stick up a pic of the pen as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Just googled the Milwaukie mag drill out of interest, It's about two grand. https://toolfix.ie/product/milwaukee-m18fmdp-502c-m18-fuel-magnetic-drill-press/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Did anyone chance the ALDI bandsaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Farmer wrote: »
    Just googled the Milwaukie mag drill out of interest, It's about two grand. https://toolfix.ie/product/milwaukee-m18fmdp-502c-m18-fuel-magnetic-drill-press/

Only 1600 if vat registered

Have they a good lifespan?

I broke one but it was my own fault. Drilled about 20 holes 18mm holes on 4mm steel and no problems. I think if you don't abuse them, you should get a few hundred holes out of each.
    Showed it to someone I know who works with cutting tools every day and he thought they were impressive. The swarf comes off them in long spirils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Reggie. wrote: »
    Farmer wrote: »

Only 1600 if vat registered

Can be bought for 1100 sterling

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252775142359

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Why oh why do you show me such things

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Can be bought for 1100 sterling
    No need to wait for Brexit - we must have an import tariff on them already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Reggie. wrote: »
    Why oh why do you show me such things

You could get it body-only for 799

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwaukee-M18FMDP-0-Fuel-Magnetic-Drill-Press-Body-Only/332129631800?hash=item4d5477fe38:g:hvQAAOSwCU1YpxG8

then get the grinder & 2 batteries for 299

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwaukee-M18-Fuel-M18CAG115XPDB-502X-115mm-Angle-Grinder-18v-2x5-0Ah-Batteries/252308801006?hash=item3abec6c5ee:g:J7QAAOSwAuNW2YBW

batteries would go to waste if you only used them in a magdrill now and again

Advertisement