Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Finished pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nice job mayota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

mayota wrote: »
    Made this trailer to collect grass behind ride on mower. Should save a lot of time. She's a tipper also.

Never pick up the grass mow twice a week and you can mow when its pi**ing rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Finished pic

Great idea, well done.. Wouldn't work for me though, too much reversing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

dzer2 wrote: »
    Never pick up the grass mow twice a week and you can mow when its pi**ing rain.

Once a fortnight is bad enough... Have hydraulic lift and tip so no effort anyway..:D. And rain doesn't bother my yoke either...

• Advertisement

I'll probably put a light mesh roof on it cos there's a fair blow off the mower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Mini silage outfit.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Mini silage outfit.
    Kids will be fighting with one another now to cut the grass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Zero grazer!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Due to a few extra numbers we had to use the old byre for accommodation as older cattle are out by day but in during the night in other sheds. The byre was not set up for calves and we had to be split four ways, ten calves to each pen. OH welded up some of the old cubicles to make gates but he ran out of welding rods and we had to use a five bar gate to make up the last quarter.
    We used half barrels for water and crunch but the calves were pissing into them and soiling the feed/water.
    My brother came up with a novel idea and 5 days later it is still working well :D
    Some of the pics are the half barrels on the cubicles and the rest are on the five bar gate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Base price wrote: »
    Due to a few extra numbers we had to use the old byre for accommodation as older cattle are out by day but in during the night in other sheds. The byre was not set up for calves and we had to be split four ways, ten calves to each pen. OH welded up some of the old cubicles to make gates but he ran out of welding rods and we had to use a five bar gate to make up the last quarter.
    We used half barrels for water and crunch but the calves were pissing into them and soiling the feed/water.
    My brother came up with a novel idea and 5 days later it is still working well :D
    Some of the pics are the half barrels on the cubicles and the rest are on the five bar gate.

Tasty job.

Big dog as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Tasty job.

Big dog as well ;)
    She is a big one and great to keep unwanted travelling salesmen away ;)
    I also have an 8 month old bitch pup in training, plus a fox terrier cross bitch who hears the grass growing and sets the other two off :D
    Would be a brave man who steps foot in our yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Gone a bit quiet here, so here a few pics of something I made last night. Little lambs seem to be getting quicker, Either that or need a bit less Cheviot in the mix...........

Started out as a HayBob tine.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Gone a bit quiet here, so here a few pics of something I made last night. Little lambs seem to be getting quicker, Either that or need a bit less Cheviot in the mix...........

Nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

A fine shed you have looking out from your window :)

A fine shed you have looking out from your window :)

Even finer if it was mine!
    Its the neighbours across the valley.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Started out as a HayBob tine.

Would it be better if you drew out the tip and rounded it over, I'd be afraid of that ripping a sheep's throat, Happy Easter and all that:pac: I'll stick up a photo of what I mean later.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I think I know what you mean, and I might do thst, it would look nice as well as anything else.
    Its only big enough for lambs up to a week or two old, was only using a welding tip on the Oxy and an old broken Hay-Bob tine.Oxy handy for brazing.
    Had came across a little book about making crooks with both wood and horn, but thought to try this first!

• Advertisement

PS, happy Easter to all at Clough.

A bit like this? If doing it again, would draw out the bar as a first step, would be a lot easier to get a nice even taper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I made a new bracket for the shed door. Old one broke, i used unistrut, some u bolts and some oversize nuts as the thread on d u bolt didnt go deep enough.

I picked up a cast stand, a strong one, bolted a vice onto it. Great height for a grinder or drilling. I can drag it out into the middle of the floor for bigger jobs too. Nothing worse than hammering on the bench and everything jumping about.

If you need to get gear oil into a mower or fertilizer spreader or whatever, and find the filler hole is in the usual awkward place, you could cobble up one of these.

If you need to get gear oil into a mower or fertilizer spreader or whatever, and find the filler hole is in the usual awkward place, you could cobble up one of these.

Nice one nek

What price did d weanlings make that week? Cant make out d mart report in the corner. . . . .

What price did d weanlings make that week? Cant make out d mart report in the corner. . . . .

100 299 average, 212:D

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Your plunger looks like a metricheck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Advice needed; old custom-built water trough, been on the farm since year dot, stop-cock attached to a copper fitting threaded through the base of the trough. Fitting is leaking where the stop-cock attaches, so I took it off altogether and stooped the water flowing to it. (It's been giving problems for a while now anyway.) How best to repair? Can I bore a new hole higher up, push a bit of wavin pipe (1/2" HG) through and attach the stop-cock to that? If so, how best to seal the bore? Quick-set cement?

Photo would help. The lower down hole, where the old fitting went, can be plugged with a piece of wood, tapered, (like the piece of the handle of a shovel, where it goes' into the shovel head) You can wrap the piece of wood with a bit of synthetic cloth, old nylon sock or something like that. If the trough is empty and dry, you can use silicon sealant and the piece of wood. If you drill a new hole further up, you will still need a proper metal filling, as just pushing a bit of waving through it with a ballcock on the end, will allow the ballcock to swivel to the side etc., and not shut off properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Photo would help. The lower down hole, where the old fitting went, can be plugged with a piece of wood, tapered, (like the piece of the handle of a shovel, where it goes' into the shovel head) You can wrap the piece of wood with a bit of synthetic cloth, old nylon sock or something like that. If the trough is empty and dry, you can use silicon sealant and the piece of wood. If you drill a new hole further up, you will still need a proper metal filling, as just pushing a bit of waving through it with a ballcock on the end, will allow the ballcock to swivel to the side etc., and not shut off properly.

Ya, pity I hadn't photo. Good thinking re: wavin, may have to look at threaded piping instead.

New trolley for the bale sleigh

Reggie. wrote: »
    New trolley for the bale sleigh

Looks well reggi ... is drawbar flatened ..welded and bored at end or is it a solid piece welded to pipe ... cant see any weld marks :)

Looks well reggi ... is drawbar flatened ..welded and bored at end or is it a solid piece welded to pipe ... cant see any weld marks :)

Its actually the end of a scaffolding pipe. There is a swivel on the end of these pipes so I just punched out the swivel and instant towing eye. No welding as is one piece so should make it stronger

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its actually the end of a scaffolding pipe. There is a swivel on the end of these pipes so I just punched out the swivel and instant towing eye. No welding as is one piece so should make it stronger

Good thinking Reggie. You reckon we'll get a bit of hay weather so!

Good thinking Reggie. You reckon we'll get a bit of hay weather so!

Oh god yeah...... we are gonna be scalded :D

Well it fits anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Local lad who's handy with the welder made this up. Can move about 6 calves a go. Was an old silage push off rake. Very handy round here due to bad knees and backs.

delaney001 wrote: »
    Local lad who's handy with the welder made this up. Can move about 6 calves a go. Was an old silage push off rake. Very handy round here due to bad knees and backs.

Another pic

• Advertisement

Another pic

Very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Local lad who's handy with the welder made this up. Can move about 6 calves a go. Was an old silage push off rake.

Great job there. Very well made.

Is the pushoff handy for unloading? ! :)

Muckit wrote: »
    Great job there. Very well made.

Is the pushoff handy for unloading? ! :)

Ya!!! Just back in over the gate and ram it out 😄.

Trying to make it adaptable for the front loader now as it would make it much quicker and easier to use

I like the way he capped the open tops of the box iron! nice attention to detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I like the way he capped the open tops of the box iron! nice attention to detail.
    hard to beat a good mitre though, more contact area for welding and better job if you want to galvanise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

saw on on twitter a sheep farmer had. carry 4 ewes and lambs in separate area.

It was a stand alone unit and was able to be lifted with a standard bale lifter there so no on/off the 3point linkage. There getting 2nd one made up so they can have one loading as other one is on way tot he field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

My bit of guntering today. May paint it so it looks the job.
    Gate was opening opposite way and was awkward getting in and out of field. Decided I'd change it. Only after I cut off hanger did I realise the other post was too short and wasn't as big as other hanging post. So I did this.
    It swivels around on post a bit but its okay

Gate was opening opposite way and was awkward getting in and out of field. Decided I'd change it. Only after I cut off hanger did I realise the other post was too short and wasn't as big as other hanging post. So I did this.
    Your name says it all in that picture ... some great land and fine bit of guntering solving a problem .

Your name says it all in that picture ... some great land and fine bit of guntering solving a problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Ah need to spray them weeds though :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement