Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,586 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could use a welder turned up to the last and burn through as appossed to welding .

And finish with mop disc on 4 inch grinder

I wouldn't be too quick to go at it with that.

You won't see the difference, but the heat could damage or weaken the girder. I know it was already welded once, but stilll, no point adding to it by going at it yourself

I'd just cut the supports and give it a belt of a sledge or lump hammer. Or even just use the length of it as a lever to snap it off. Depending on how well it was welded in the first place it would probably separate fairly lively.

A few bangs of a coal chisel then if you were worried about any residual weld but I wouldn't be worried about that meself.

I'm actually surprised, looking it it, that it wasn't already lifted off by the cattle eating through it. Doesn't seem to be that strong.....maybe the bottom part it buried in the concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Maybe useful information for someone. I bought lengths of 3.5" galvanised pipe as gate closing posts. I wanted to put caps on them to stop them splitting in frost. Got the caps seperate from local hardware store. Now, the ideal way to put them on, is before you concrete in the post. Just turn the post upside down and tap down on the caps.
    Must have spent 15 mins yesterday trying to tap one on a fixed post with a pastic mallet. You can see the damage I did. :)
    It just would not go in.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Ahh Patsy why not put a flower pot in the top and fill it with concrete........................
    or even stuff a meal bag in to it and fill the pipe with concrete..................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Would frost split a galvanised pipe?

MfMan wrote: »
    Would frost split a galvanised pipe?

Well, guy I got them from said they would.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Maybe useful information for someone. I bought lengths of 3.5" galvanised pipe as gate closing posts. I wanted to put caps on them to stop them splitting in frost. Got the caps seperate from local hardware store. Now, the ideal way to put them on, is before you concrete in the post. Just turn the post upside down and tap down on the caps.
    Must have spent 15 mins yesterday trying to tap one on a fixed post with a pastic mallet. You can see the damage I did. :)
    It just would not go in.

I'd always warm them with a blow torch. And heat the top of the post also. Never had a problem after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'd always warm them with a blow torch. And heat the top of the post also. Never had a problem after that.

A bit of lube fpr calving cpws is a good job too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Bought a load of crash barriers off a local lad here, 14ft, €36, great job for replacing walls where the cows are feeding, stack them on top of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It just would not go in.

Leave the plastic end caps in a bucket of very hot water for a few minutes beforehand and lightly bevel/ debur the inside edge of the tube with a round file.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

When you concreted in your post Patsy, had you drilled out holes for the hangers before putting on cap? If not the air would have nowhere to escape and you'd be fighting pneumatic pressure!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    When you concreted in your post Patsy, had you drilled out holes for the hangers before putting on cap? If not the air would have nowhere to escape and you'd be fighting pneumatic pressure!

I had the holes for the 2 latches drilled first. I think you need to press the caps on rather than hit them on IYKWIM. Putting them in boiling water sounds like it might work too. They're too bouncy when you hit them.

The new handle for my small grinder arrived today from China. Thrilled. I'd better contact Mr. Sum Ting Wong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The new handle for my small grinder arrived today from China. Thrilled. I'd better contact Mr. Sum Ting Wong. :D

some assembly required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Dab of gorilla glue she will be sound

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

jimini0 wrote: »
    Dab of gorilla glue she will be sound

A length of baling twine,be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

Have a gutter leaking, won't get time to replace, is there anything that sets even if it's wet just to stop the leak for the Time being, steel gutter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

visatorro wrote: »
    Have a gutter leaking, won't get time to replace, is there anything that sets even if it's wet just to stop the leak for the Time being, steel gutter
    We used Tec7 Roof a couple of years ago for hole in the galvanised sheeting and it worked. You can use it if the roof is wet.

https://www.woodies.ie/tec7-roof-repair-310ml-1055903

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

visatorro wrote: »

I've used the yellow quick fix patches before. You'd get them in any DIY place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

I have a honda genny welder and a separate 220v 100l compressor on wheels. Would i be able to use the compressor off the jenny? I heard somewhere before that the current fluctuates more off gennys. But not sure if it makes any odds.
    Just it'd save two treks to the hire shop and a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

enricoh wrote: »
    I have a honda genny welder and a separate 220v 100l compressor on wheels. Would i be able to use the compressor off the jenny? I heard somewhere before that the current fluctuates more off gennys. But not sure if it makes any odds.
    Just it'd save two treks to the hire shop and a few quid.

There can be fluctuations from a Jenny ok but this would usually only affect sensitive electronics. Your compressor should be robust enough to be fine.

Just make sure the Jenny output is sufficient in kW terms to run the compressor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Simple and tasty at the same time. Everyone's a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Simple and tasty at the same time. Everyone's a winner

Except the second person that has to turn and hold the kerb till he drops it in place. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Except the second person that has to turn and hold the kerb till he drops it in place. :p

Ah thats just handy work there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

ZBeZtAc.jpg

Don't laugh but my wheelbarrow has a puncture. Bought a new tube but must have pinched it putting it on. Tube leaking so took tube off again. Checked it there and no sign of a leak. Completely submerged it in water. :rolleyes:
    What am I doing wrong? Put plenty of air in it.

Also are those solid wheels the job? :D

:D Got it figured. Well the guy in the tyre place did. The valve wasn't tightened properly. When I inflated the tube outside the tyre, there was no leak so that's what threw me. The smallest of leaks then when inflated to pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

:D Got it figured. Well the guy in the tyre place did. The valve wasn't tightened properly. When I inflated the tube outside the tyre, there was no leak so that's what threw me. The smallest of leaks then when inflated to pressure.

Can't believe you just admitted that! :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Can't believe you just admitted that! :D

Well if you put some spit on the valve, you'd have to wait a good minute before you'd see any bubble. Really small leak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Are you sure it wasn't leaking from the valve the first time?

Ahem.

Advertisement