Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No, found the initial puncture.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Interested in getting a lathe. Single phase decent ones are silly money. 3 phase are better value cause there’s prob a much smaller market for them.
    If you had a single phase motor of similar power, could you just drop it straight in instead of the 3 phase one? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

All depends on the set-up of the drive system. If its just a motor sitting behind the headstock, you could be ok..
    If its built into the framework, it mightn't be possible.
    Lots of people seem to end up buying phase converters to run 3 phase stuff from a single phase supply.

You should get an electrician to do sny wiring up.

Have a look at ebay.co.uk to get an idea on prices of s/h stuff.
    Kenequip in co. Longford often have s/h stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colchester-Student-MKII-Lathe/163366138363?hash=item26096171fb:g:c6YAAOSwPGtb5vTX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrison-Metal-Lathe/253982821539?hash=item3b228e4ca3:g:C0sAAOSwq2xb7auF

Also, older lathes might not be able to cut metric threads, if that was important to you.

Get as many accessories and tooling as possible, these cost a fortune to buy seperately.
    If it has changd gears, instead of a "quick change" gearbox, be very sure a full set of gears come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ya I think a good lot of them are just pulley driven, so it would be just a case of ensuring you have the same output, to match up machine speeds.
    See a lot about those VFD’s but don’t know much about them. Maybe their an easier route?

Second lathe is a fair piece of kit for the money. It’d break your heart looking at gear in UK. Those machines would be a couple hundred more at least if on DoneDeal in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Lad near me has a three phase one, the price of getting three phase into his shed was silly money for what he’d be at, but he built a frame around the lathe and mated a 1.6 petrol engine to it. It worked. And it was so unbelievably safe that he dismantled it immediately.

• Advertisement

Took a pic of this the other day. It's the back of a gate bracket.
    Before I got the mag drill, had no way of drilling holes so had this length of bar with 2 holes on it already. Cut, put on bolts, marked, welded and hey presto.
    The things you do.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Took a pic of this the other day. It's the back of a gate bracket.
    Before I got the mag drill, had no way of drilling holes so had this length of bar with 2 holes on it already. Cut, put on bolts, marked, welded and hey presto.
    The things you do.

Def thinking outside the box there Patsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Looking to bore 30&32mm holes through steel here to make up loader brackets, I see metal hole saws online for small money, would they do the job or is it a mag drill job?

Damo810 wrote: »
    Looking to bore 30&32mm holes through steel here to make up loader brackets, I see metal hole saws online for small money, would they do the job or is it a mag drill job?

You need a mag drill and a good quality cutter liek these;
    https://holemaker-technology.com/collections/broach-cutters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Hole saw will cut up to 15mm steel you need plenty of cutting fluid. If you are only boring a couple the hole saw in a Pillar drill would do the job. Save the expense of a mag drill.

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    Hole saw will cut up to 15mm steel you need plenty of cutting fluid. If you are only boring a couple the hole saw in a Pillar drill would do the job. Save the expense of a mag drill.

I know they will do the job, and I've used both, but there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

I know they will do the job, and I've used both, but there is no comparison.

Hire a mag drill from local plant hire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Hole saws will work but mag drill way nicer to use.
    Just check exactly what size you need before you purchase or start.
    Afaik pin sizes are imperial . The closest you will get is 29mm and 32mm .
    Ive made a fair share of brackets and machinery at home.
    For the 50hx 32mm is the pin size for the loader
    For the likes of a bale handler we drill the category 2 holes for the lift arms at 29mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In case your wondering this isn’t me in the video, I doubt it’s even recorded in Cavan.

https://www.facebook.com/POQUITOLIVE/videos/815867038611021/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    In case your wondering this isn’t me in the video, I doubt it’s even recorded in Cavan.

Don't know..... Looks like Cavan fencing to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

9935452 wrote: »
    Hole saws will work but mag drill way nicer to use.
    Just check exactly what size you need before you purchase or start.
    Afaik pin sizes are imperial . The closest you will get is 29mm and 32mm .
    Ive made a fair share of brackets and machinery at home.
    For the 50hx 32mm is the pin size for the loader
    For the likes of a bale handler we drill the category 2 holes for the lift arms at 29mm.

My 50HX has hooks on top and four receiving brackets at the bottom. The outer ones are 32mm and the internals are only 29mm which is a balls. Must inquire with local plant hire about the mag drill, will make up a few at a time.

emaherx wrote: »
    Don't know..... Looks like Cavan fencing to me! :D

This is Cavan fencing .......

Bp4ph93.jpg

8dEKXU9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The skimping on posts and top strands was a total giveaway!! :D:D

Muckit wrote: »
    The skimping on posts and top strands was a total giveaway!! :D:D

Well!
    What a bleedin liberty!
    Those posts are 4 good paces apart!

Talk about cheek....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    This is Cavan fencing .......

Bp4ph93.jpg

8dEKXU9.jpg

Do you just pull the top and bottom strand. I would never consider that good enough, that's the reason I always use a clamp

• Advertisement

Yep, just the top and bottom rows.
    In the old days, with soft wire you had to pull each strand.
    But with the high tensile it strains "en masse" to a degree, and I find it adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

By Cavan fencing I assume you mean the tractor will be left in place as a strainer:p

Mooooo wrote: »
    By Cavan fencing I assume you mean the tractor will be left in place as a strainer:p

At least I took off the Hayes strainers before driving away

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A different type of guntering. An old slate from a shed that was knocked down the yard. My mother painted it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    A different type of guntering. An old slate from a shed that was knocked down the yard. My mother painted it for me

Have something very similar here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Have something very similar here

She painted 5 of them and we all got 1 each

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

whelan2 wrote: »

Love getting things that my mam made as presents. She is in her late 70s and I know in time they will be real treasures.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

My Jeep gave up this evening outside the Mart. The best way I could describe it is the clutch pedal is dead, the slightest pressure and it falls to the floor. I backed up to the chutes and when I went to pull out the Jeep wouldn't budge out of reverse.
    Typically these things only happen at half 5 of a Saturday evening so I had to unload the trailer and abandon all there. A few lads suggested it's a slave cylinder that's lost pressure? Anyone encounter similar with a D4D Land cruiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

My Jeep gave up this evening outside the Mart. The best way I could describe it is the clutch pedal is dead, the slightest pressure and it falls to the floor. I backed up to the chutes and when I went to pull out the Jeep wouldn't budge out of reverse.
    Typically these things only happen at half 5 of a Saturday evening so I had to unload the trailer and abandon all there. A few lads suggested it's a slave cylinder that's lost pressure? Anyone encounter similar with a D4D Land cruiser?

Try pumping the clutch, it that doesn’t work it’s probally the clutch release bearing. Best to replace the clutch while at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Odelay wrote: »
    Try pumping the clutch, it that doesn’t work it’s probally the clutch release bearing. Best to replace the clutch while at it.

I tried pumping it but it's totally limp, the slightest touch and it falls to the floor. The pedal has to be lifted afterwards, there's no resistance to pump against is the only way I could describe it.

Advertisement