Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Odelay wrote: »
    Try pumping the clutch, it that doesn’t work it’s probally the clutch release bearing. Best to replace the clutch while at it.

If you're lucky it could be the slave cylinder, or even the flexibke pipe down.
    Take a look in daylight and you'll see if there is a fluid leak .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you're lucky it could be the slave cylinder, or even the flexibke pipe down.
    Take a look in daylight and you'll see if there is a fluid leak .

A few lads mentioned the slave cylinder so possibly that. I'll look again tomorrow but I'm not mechanically minded so wouldn't hold my breath. It's fierce annoying cause I find it near impossible to get lads to fix anything despite paying them. I also have no transport without it so I'm stranded at the house and the stock in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First check the fluid level in the reservoir.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A few lads mentioned the slave cylinder so possibly that. I'll look again tomorrow but I'm not mechanically minded so wouldn't hold my breath. It's fierce annoying cause I find it near impossible to get lads to fix anything despite paying them. I also have no transport without it so I'm stranded at the house and the stock in the mart.

The mart should have the number of someone to drop the cattle out to you

First check the fluid level in the reservoir.

Which reservoir am I looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

My Jeep gave up this evening outside the Mart. The best way I could describe it is the clutch pedal is dead, the slightest pressure and it falls to the floor. I backed up to the chutes and when I went to pull out the Jeep wouldn't budge out of reverse.
    Typically these things only happen at half 5 of a Saturday evening so I had to unload the trailer and abandon all there. A few lads suggested it's a slave cylinder that's lost pressure? Anyone encounter similar with a D4D Land cruiser?

Sorry if this is obvious but did you check the clutch fluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Which reservoir am I looking at?

The clutch fluid reservoir, it has one or two steel pipes coming out of the bottom, has a black or yellow lid I think, with an aluminium or silver assembly beneath. It holds less than 500 ml fluid. usually under the bonnet and close to the wipers close the the steering wheel. If your unsure just check them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

My Jeep gave up this evening outside the Mart. The best way I could describe it is the clutch pedal is dead, the slightest pressure and it falls to the floor. I backed up to the chutes and when I went to pull out the Jeep wouldn't budge out of reverse.
    Typically these things only happen at half 5 of a Saturday evening so I had to unload the trailer and abandon all there. A few lads suggested it's a slave cylinder that's lost pressure? Anyone encounter similar with a D4D Land cruiser?

Not sure about that jeep but it could very well be as simple as a leaky slave cylinder. Went in my car before. They are a cheap and easy thing to replace. I replaced myself in 20min with few simple tools. Was it hard to get into gear for a while before? There is usually a little resevoir possibly on bulkhead that feeds the system.
    If there is a leak this will be down and could/should have brought on a light in dash.

Hopefully it's this and not your clutch.

Did u get it home?

Also most insurance policies will have breakdown assist on it. Good to know if in a pickle and away from home.

If it is the slave cylinder just topping the resevoir up with brake fluid would get you home.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Sorry if this is obvious but did you check the clutch fluid?

I didn't as it was dark and I was pissed off tbh. Maybe it's a lack of fluid but if this was the case I would have assumed that the problem would have occurred gradually rather than suddenly. It was driving sound up until today, would low fluid levels make a difference that quickly?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Not sure about that jeep but it could very well be as simple as a leaky slave cylinder. Went in my car before. They are a cheap and easy thing to replace. I replaced myself in 20min with few simple tools. Was it hard to get into gear for a while before? There is usually a little resevoir possibly on bulkhead that feeds the system.
    If there is a leak this will be down and could/should have brought on a light in dash.

Hopefully it's this and not your clutch.

Did u get it home?

It was driving normally until today, the issue occurred suddenly. I'd say it went from perfect to stationary within a few miles. There was definitely no light on the dash, I'm not mechanically minded but I do look at the dash every so often.

It was driving normally until today, the issue occurred suddenly. I'd say it went from perfect to stationary within a few miles. There was definitely no light on the dash, I'm not mechanically minded but I do look at the dash every so often.

Clutch issues won't come up on the dash lights.

Dash light would usually be for the brake fluid resevoir.
    If the pedal seemed normal up until you backed up to the ramp, its probably not the trust bearing.
    You didn't get your boot caught under the pedal getting out, I suppose?
    Saw me do that once with a car and the little rod that the pedal pushes got pulled out of place.
    Clutch went straight down and stayed there next time I pressed it.

I have a leyland here and it needs a bit of work. I did the steering box and that's tight as a nut now.

The brakes are sticking, is it a cab off job? Looking at it there now I think I can jack it and pivot it on the front cab bolts.
    I don't know what model or year it is. I got the numbers off the chassis
    Atj7831/7832 is on the transmission beneath the seat.
    37d3477 12e1 or 12ei is on the block.
    Any ideas? I think it may be a 344.
    Cheers.

If it has the usual square type Leyland cab, then the cab hinges backwards, leaving everything from the mudguards down, still in place.

Won't help with access to the brakes anyway.
    Take off the seat, to give yourself a bit more room.
    There is an outer plate on each side, remove this. The right hand side one has the hydraulic control quadrant bolted on, so loosen that also.

Remove the expanders and clean them.
    You might need new steel balls( when they wear oval, they can cause the brakes to stick "on") or if you can find all new expander assemblies, all tbe better.
    Put in new disks as well. 2 each side.
    Hopefully the housing isnt too worn.
    All the pins and linkages under the cab should be removed and freed up, and greased.
    These are always seizing up.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If it has the usual square type Leyland cab, then the cab hinges backwards, leaving everything from the mudguards down, still in place.

Won't help with access to the brakes anyway.
    Tske off the seat, togive yourself a bit more room.
    There is an outer plate on each side, remove this. Tbe right hand side one has the hydraulic control quadrant bolted on, so loosen that also.

Remove the expanders and clean them.
    You might need new steel balls( when they wear oval, they can causethebrajes to stick "on") or if you can find all new expander assemblies, all tbe better.
    Put in new disks as well. 2 each side.
    Hopefully the housing isnt too worn.
    All the pins and linkages under the cab should be removed and freed up, and greased.
    These are always seizing up.

I was looking at it, thought it would hinge forward actually! It needs to rotate up about 20 degrees, take the wheel off and I will have good access.
    Will try take off the plate first and see what happens. Just the bottom bolt seens to be the dodgy one. May not have enough room to rotate it out far enough. Was thinking of cutting it - and plugging it after... Might not need to move the cab at all.

Have the cab to put back on the 996 first.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone deal directly with Dairymaster for parts rather than through local agents. I'm after being asked to fit a second hand scraper but need a few bits. Ram isn't great and missing limit sensor. Local agent charges through the nose and not fond of selling parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone deal directly with Dairymaster for parts rather than through local agents. I'm after being asked to fit a second hand scraper but need a few bits. Ram isn't great and missing limit sensor. Local agent charges through the nose and not fond of selling parts.

You can get parts from the factory, just walk in the side door and tell them what you need. Might be a bit of a drive for you though.

Saw this photo on a UK site.
    Very handy way to get concrete to a height.
    frgOSLv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

My specialized hammer for nailing on horseshoes gave up the ghost today. She succumbed to a crack that’s been plaguing her for some years, a curse only held at bay by copious amounts of insulation tape.

Today at long last, she calved.

Luckily the farrier supplies van will be in my area on Thursday and can furnish me with a (ludicrously expensive) replacement.

But what am I to do until then???

Ta-da.

Yet more magical insulation tape and a few galvanized nails as splints.

She’ll do fine till her younger sister arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

TheFarrier wrote: »
    My specialized hammer for nailing on horseshoes gave up the ghost today. She succumbed to a crack that’s been plaguing her for some years, a curse only held at bay by copious amounts of insulation tape.

Today at long last, she calved.

Luckily the farrier supplies van will be in my area on Thursday and can furnish me with a (ludicrously expensive) replacement.

But what am I to do until then???

Ta-da.

Yet more magical insulation tape and a few galvanized nails as splints.

She’ll do fine till her younger sister arrives

Sure why change it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Reggie. wrote: »
    Sure why change it

Now the handle matches the head perfectly

148multi wrote: »
    Now the handle matches the head perfectly

Its like something outta forged in fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its like something outta forged in fire

Needs baler twine.

Bought a lovely pair of Jack Jones jeans, was sitting down and could feel something sticking into me... security tag left on! Guntering time!

Tried a heavy speaker magnet. No good. Ended up hack sawing off the plastic cap on the big part and the spring and ball bearing popped out releasing the pin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

Muckit wrote:
    Tried a heavy speaker magnet. No good. Ended up hack sawing off the plastic cap on the big part and the spring and ball bearing popped out releasing the pin

Muckit wrote:
    Bought a lovely pair of Jack Jones jeans, was sitting down and could feel something sticking into me... security tag left on! Guntering time!

Tell the truth, you stole them didn't you

Tell the truth, you stole them didn't you

The swine

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Muckit wrote: »
    security tag left on!....... releasing the pin

Lucky it wasn't those dye filled tags that were on the jeans! Could have been some mess if they smashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Any good ways of making a gate higher without welding. Had a heifer decide she didn’t want to stay in the pen this evening. Lucky not to break both legs the bitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Any good ways of making a gate higher without welding. Had a heifer decide she didn’t want to stay in the pen this evening. Lucky not to break both legs the bitch!

Electric fence across the top? Try one of the spring gate things.

Advertisement