Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

timple23 wrote: »
    I hate that design of fitting, the T of the bolt can rotate when loosening and you will need to grip the bolt part with a vice grips to undo the nut.

This design is better because bolt can't rotate no matter how loose the nut is.

http://scafftex.ie/shop/pressed-steel-fittings/swivel-couplers/

Yes!!! That’s what i’m Looking for!
    Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

emaherx wrote: »
    Anyone short cubical space?

Check this out on Agriland - Old shipping container regenerated into cow cubicles https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/old-shipping-container-regenerated-into-cow-cubicles/

Anyone who uses containers for anything other than the specific task they were designed for is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

riemann wrote: »
    Anyone who uses containers for anything other than the specific task they were designed for is an idiot.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was over in Christchurch last year and the city centre was full of containers. Some used for holding buildings up, some for storage, some for shops/cafes. Anything a city needed was being provided for by those containers. This was a result of the earthquake that wrecked the city. Up the coast then there was thousands more containers lining the roads stopping debris from the roadside hills getting onto the road.

Just because something is built for one job, does not mean it can't and shouldn't be used for anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Talk like that dosen't belong on this thread........

It's sort of a thread about using things for anything but the specific task they were designed for! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Speaking about using things they were not designed for, a little alteration to digger bucket, to free up tractor when needed and a great bale splitter..

468251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

148multi wrote: »
    Speaking about using things they were not designed for, a little alteration to digger bucket, to free up tractor when needed and a great bale splitter..

468251.jpg

Remind me never to fall out with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

The uncle put a "second story" on his shed above the slated pens. He puts hay and stray up there with the digger and a similar thing to that. More like a bale spike with digger attachment. He can then just roll a bale of straw off it into the dry pens or hay into the feed passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

MeTheMan wrote: »
    The uncle put a "second story" on his shed above the slated pens. He puts hay and stray up there with the digger and a similar thing to that. More like a bale spike with digger attachment. He can then just roll a bale of straw off it into the dry pens or hay into the feed passage.
    We had an artic body mounted on blocks upside down over the weanlings and filled it to the roof with straw. While they were eating ration, just climb up a ladder and throw down a few bales into the bedding area and shake out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

We had an artic body mounted on blocks upside down over the weanlings and filled it to the roof with straw. While they were eating ration, just climb up a ladder and throw down a few bales into the bedding area and shake out.

Mounted upside down? Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

https://www.facebook.com/AgricultureTechnologies/videos/1199318060236576/?app=fbl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Odelay wrote: »
    Mounted upside down? Why?
    It was easier to clean out as the tractor was just a foot under the floor and it was easier to build the bales up around the central supports of the body. We didn't want to cut that off either as it was keeping the whole thing together.

There wasn't much room to the roof of the shed and the frame had more support on the blocks upside down.

I was over in Christchurch last year and the city centre was full of containers. Some used for holding buildings up, some for storage, some for shops/cafes. Anything a city needed was being provided for by those containers. This was a result of the earthquake that wrecked the city. Up the coast then there was thousands more containers lining the roads stopping debris from the roadside hills getting onto the road.

Just because something is built for one job, does not mean it can't and shouldn't be used for anything else

I'll admit my language was a tad over the top. Containers are a sore subject of mine as I've seen far too many people try to convert a long steel box into living accommodation.

Containers are designed for use as a transportable container used to store goods where temperature is not a concern.

They are used all over the world as lock ups on construction sites to store tools, perfect job for a transportable container.

I know several farmers who use them to store meal, again entirely appropriate.

A steel container which has one side cut away completely, to the extent it needs the introduction of addition structural support. Another side removed partially. Is then filled with sand, which will be combined with rainwater, urine and manure in due course. Cubicles then added, presumably with a sub structure.

In my humble opinion this is not an efficient use of time or materials. Nor is it an example of ingenuity. Rust will soon consume a steel material sitting in ****.

The alternative is a couple of rsj's and a few sheets of galvanised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'll admit my language was a tad over the top. Containers are a sore subject of mine as I've seen far too many people try to convert a long steel box into living accommodation.

Containers are designed for use as a transportable container used to store goods where temperature is not a concern.

They are used all over the world as lock ups on construction sites to store tools, perfect job for a transportable container.

I know several farmers who use them to store meal, again entirely appropriate.

A steel container which has one side cut away completely, to the extent it needs the introduction of addition structural support. Another side removed partially. Is then filled with sand, which will be combined with rainwater, urine and manure in due course. Cubicles then added, presumably with a sub structure.

In my humble opinion this is not an efficient use of time or materials. Nor is it an example of ingenuity. Rust will soon consume a steel material sitting in ****.

The alternative is a couple of rsj's and a few sheets of galvanised.

Lad i know got one for meal couldnt keep rodens out of it. Ended up dumping lots of it. Didnt want to risk feeding it to heavily pregnant ewes. Bags are a lot more conveniet in that sense

Lad i know got one for meal couldnt keep rodens out of it. Ended up dumping lots of it. Didnt want to risk feeding it to heavily pregnant ewes. Bags are a lot more conveniet in that sense

He should have used one without holes.

Its also quite easy to blow meal into a container rather than bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I want to put back pnsome Harris site fencing , can't get any of the rubber block bases locally, lots on done deal but 50 miles plus away.
    Was thinking of getting a few tyres, fill the middle with cement and push a round bar into each one. So the leg of the fence would sit Into it. Then Leave some bit of rope or chain in also to lift it.
    Good or bad idea, or hardship?!!
    In North tipp if anyone has some!
    Time to make and time to go collect would probably be the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I want to put back pnsome Harris site fencing , can't get any of the rubber block bases locally, lots on done deal but 50 miles plus away.
    Was thinking of getting a few tyres, fill the middle with cement and push a round bar into each one. So the leg of the fence would sit Into it. Then Leave some bit of rope or chain in also to lift it.
    Good or bad idea, or hardship?!!
    In North tipp if anyone has some!
    Time to make and time to go collect would probably be the same....
    Id imagine they should be in a builders merchant. Are in the local one here anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭anfieldrd

I want to put back pnsome Harris site fencing , can't get any of the rubber block bases locally, lots on done deal but 50 miles plus away. Was thinking of getting a few tyres, fill the middle with cement and push a round bar into each one. So the leg of the fence would sit Into it. Then Leave some bit of rope or chain in also to lift it. Good or bad idea, or hardship?!! In North tipp if anyone has some! Time to make and time to go collect would probably be the same....

Have them in stakelums plant hire Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Can you weld? Bit of flat steel, make a +, and weld two spuds for the fencing tubing to drop down into, or a bit of wider tubing or box instead.
    Can be dear enough them feet to buy new, probably a euros worth of steel in each one

enricoh wrote: »
    Can you weld? Bit of flat steel, make a +, and weld two spuds for the fencing tubing to drop down into, or a bit of wider tubing or box instead.
    Can be dear enough them feet to buy new, probably a euros worth of steel in each one

Yes i can weld but I'd be a while cutting and welding about twenty!!

I thought the feet were made from recycled car tyres.

Think the tyres could be the way to go, have the tyres and sand, mixer, and some cement that's there since last year. Maybe a bit of rebar shoved down as I don't have much tubular piping, and I'd keep that bit for a gate hanger. Although the price of them now wouldn't pay you to make a hanger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

If the price of them isn't the problem you'd be quicker to drive the 50 miles and buy them than have to go and make 20

I bought 14 panels today, and five feet, 200 quid. So I can knock up ten bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Anyone know of a simple way of getting a tyre of a rim other than sledging or taking it to tyre depot. as in cutting it off i mean as tyre is only junk. the grinder would work but i,de rather not go down that road

something like a hacksaw blade on steroids?? small lorry tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TalkingBull

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

ruwithme wrote: »
    Anyone know of a simple way of getting a tyre of a rim other than sledging or taking it to tyre depot. as in cutting it off i mean as tyre is only junk. the grinder would work but i,de rather not go down that road

If you’re not environmentally enclined the you could just burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

ruwithme wrote: »

When I need to break down a rim, I stand it up against a mass concrete wall, place the transport box just under the lower level of the rim, and reverse!! (Slowly!!)

This may or may not comply with H&S requirements / regulations, but it works. Make sure the tyre is deflated and the wall is robust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The possibilities to injure/brain yourself with a crowbar are endless, bring it to a tyre place and give them the tenner or whatever..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Avns1s wrote: »
    When I need to break down a rim, I stand it up against a mass concrete wall, place the transport box just under the lower level of the rim, and reverse!! (Slowly!!)

This may or may not comply with H&S requirements / regulations, but it works. Make sure the tyre is deflated and the wall is robust!!

Similar here. Leave the rim flat on the ground, tilt the cutting edge of the bucket on the loader facing down and press it down with the loader of the tractor. Tyre levers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sick of calves sucking twine and rope , so it's chains and shackles from now on in the calf / calving shed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Patsy you'll need a small piece of twine to hold the bolt in the D shackle, they're a curse when they fall in the straw bed;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement