Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

148multi wrote: »
    Can be left on auto aswell.

Yea but he had a button at hand height to turn it on and off.

I wouldn't be a fan of a woodchopping machine that could "have a mind of it's own".
    I nearly reckon you'd be better off buying a machine. At least that way it's been safety tested and has all the safety features.
    But if you do go ahead with your build try and have all controls easy at hand from your working position.
    You only get one pair of hands.
    Be a fecker to loose them for the sake of a button or foot pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

kk.man wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of "Einhell" drills?

The local hardware is running an offer on them and seem reasonably priced. Are they worth a punt?

One if the cheaper german makes.
    Grand stuff, just don’t expect too much from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Yea but he had a button at hand height to turn it on and off.

I wouldn't be a fan of a woodchopping machine that could "have a mind of it's own".
    I nearly reckon you'd be better off buying a machine. At least that way it's been safety tested and has all the safety features.
    But if you do go ahead with your build try and have all controls easy at hand from your working position.
    You only get one pair of hands.
    Be a fecker to loose them for the sake of a button or foot pedal.

Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

kk.man wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of "Einhell" drills?

The local hardware is running an offer on them and seem reasonably priced. Are they worth a punt?

I had a corded hammer drill from them, 2 of them actually, one was replaced after I burnt out the motor. Burnt out the second one too.
    That being said I had the second one a long time, and did a power of work with it for the money, and being honest burning out the motor was more my fault than the drill.
    Found it very harsh if it bit drilling steel, would nearly snap your wrist, mate of mine said it was an unusual for a modern drill to have no clutch in it.

I wouldn’t hesitate buying another one if I needed one though, like I said, for the money it served me very well, and replaced no questions asked when I did blow the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Can be left on auto aswell.

Are you splitting firewood to sell? If not then an ordinary vertical one is more than ideal.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Are you splitting firewood to sell? If not then an ordinary vertical one is more than ideal.

Are you looking for a load 🀑🀑🀑

Are you looking for a load ������
    No, have my own.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anyone have an idea what price a length of 30x30x2mm(or within an ass's roar of that size) aluminium is? and an 8x4 sheet of plain aluminium? I gunthered up a handy little device but it's too heavy!
    Any recommended suppliers in the west, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Anyone have an idea what price a length of 30x30x2mm(or within an ass's roar of that size) aluminium is? and an 8x4 sheet of plain aluminium? I gunthered up a handy little device but it's too heavy! Any recommended suppliers in the west, thanks.

Banner steel, 065 6822260

No, have my own.

U have a nice bit of whitethorn, the pallets make a great job of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

U have a nice bit of whitethorn, the pallets make a great job of it.

Why up on pallets

wrangler wrote: »
    Why up on pallets

Plastic pallets stop the bottom timber from soaking dampness. They also allow air to get well in underneath and dry them out. They were going in a skip where I worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

wrangler wrote: »
    Why up on pallets

We used to do that. It prevents the timber sucking up moisture from the floor of no DPC was fitted. The big benefit is it allows air to circulate the entire stack during the summer months. Over time that will allow it to drop to 18-20% moisture content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

It's probably a long shot but I'm wondering if it's possible to make DIY calf feeders, as in buy the teats and fit them to an ordinary plastic container.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Plastic pallets stop the bottom timber from soaking dampness. They were going in a skip where I worked.

That famous skip. I'd say a lad could build a house pulling out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's probably a long shot but I'm wondering if it's possible to make DIY calf feeders, as in buy the teats and fit them to an ordinary plastic container.

Yea it’s simple.
    We’ve made a few in our time.

Have a 4 teat feeder made from a large plastic parts bin from a factory.
    2 teat feeder made from 20l food grade drum.

We used the teat kits you bolt through the hole.

Work as well as the two jfc 8 teat feeders we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

You could try the pull through teats if the plastic container is of a suitable thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Muckit wrote: »
    That famous skip. I'd say a lad could build a house pulling out of it :D

Could dam well try!

emaherx wrote: »
    You could try the pull through teats if the plastic container is of a suitable thickness.

Have tried this, very hard to get a container with appropriate wall thickness for these to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Make them with the horse buckets here. 22mm hole and pull through peach teats. Careful drilling as not to split plastic. 3 teats is ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea it’s simple.
    We’ve made a few in our time.

Have a 4 teat feeder made from a large plastic parts bin from a factory.
    2 teat feeder made from 20l food grade drum.

We used the teat kits you bolt through the hole.

Work as well as the two jfc 8 teat feeders we have.

I'd like to try this, I wonder where would I buy suitable thread on teats.
    I'm also making some calf pens and wondering if I could use some 12mm ply I have, or would it be toxic because of the glue if they were licking it?

Edit... I can see pink threaded 'peach' teats online but can't see or understand just what they thread into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm also making some calf pens and wondering if I could use some 12mm ply I have, or would it be toxic because of the glue if they were licking it?

I couldn’t imagine the glue would be an issue. It’s secure between the plys. Could only be an issue if they were eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Edit... I can see pink threaded 'peach' teats online but can't see or understand just what they thread into.

Most glues and paints are water based now to avoid this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Odelay wrote: »
    I couldn’t imagine the glue would be an issue. It’s secure between the plys. Could only be an issue if they were eating it.

Sheets of cubicle mats against gates perhaps? Won't soak water and easily power hosed

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

This works,just go easy with the drill.

They are threaded with a nut on the outside, gasket on the inside to make a seal.

These are the ones we've used..

0379946.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

The peach teat is the only job

476105.jpeg

We do allot of temp fencing around the yard on the spring to graze and give access to the yard for meal and shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    We do allot of temp fencing around the yard on the spring to graze and give access to the yard for meal and shelter.

I bloody like it

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    I bloody like it

Handy.
    Council have so many they just leave them along the road ;)

Advertisement