Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

cjpm wrote: »
    Lads, looking for suggestions.

Living in a rented house with a rough concrete yard. No grass area for kids to play on. I got the bright idea to get a few cow mats to make a soft area.

Problem is there are slight gaps between the mats, and they are also curling up in the sun. Afraid kids will be tripping.

Want to cover the mats with a suitable covering. Any ideas? On a budget.....

Area of mats is 8m by 5m

You can get interlocking mats that probably wouldn't have curled up.

Anyways old carpet perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Living in a rented house with a rough concrete yard. No grass area for kids to play on. I got the bright idea to get a few cow mats to make a soft area.

Problem is there are slight gaps between the mats, and they are also curling up in the sun. Afraid kids will be tripping.

Area of mats is 8m by 5m

Duct tape them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Area of mats is 8m by 5m

Get rid of the kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Area of mats is 8m by 5m

Could you drill a fixing in to them into the concrete, use a large rubber washer in the top to ensure there is no sharp edges for the kids. Or maybe use Tec 7 mastic to stick the mats to the concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There was a guy on DD recently selling used artificial grass, be perfect fixed down on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Could you drill a fixing in to them into the concrete, use a large rubber washer in the top to ensure there is no sharp edges for the kids. Or maybe use Tec 7 mastic to stick the mats to the concrete.

Sounds like a simple fix to me- concrete screws would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Could you bed them on straw?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Could you bed them on straw?

LOL and spat out the coffee!

Mastic or something like it along the edges.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Odelay wrote: »
    Duct tape them together?

You can't do that!

I mean it would keep them under control but social services would probably be called. Political correctness gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

You can't do that!

I mean it would keep them under control but social services would probably be called. Political correctness gone mad!

I thought he’d have the tact to keep quite about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Odelay wrote: »
    I thought he’d have the tact to keep quite about it!

Might not have used enough of it across their mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

emaherx wrote: »
    Bit of fencing done yesterday.

First time using Clipex fencing and it won't be the last. It's very quick and easy to put up.

Are there corner posts for straining in two directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

893bet wrote: »
    Are there corner posts for straining in two directions?

There is but they're fairly expensive though. €96 + vat for the post and 2 props.

479659.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

emaherx wrote: »
    There is but they're fairly expensive though. €96 + vat for the post and 2 props.

479659.jpg

When the pressure comes on do they hold ? We were very close to putting up clipex wire apart from all the corners in the field

davidk1394 wrote: »
    When the pressure comes on do they hold ? We were very close to putting up clipex wire apart from all the corners in the field

Time will tell on that one, only did one section of fence so far with the eco strainer but can't see it budging too easily. You could always use more traditional strainers in the corners and Clipex for line posts if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Area of mats is 8m by 5m

You could use a few mushroom fixings. I put them in mats here when the bull started rooting them up and they are grand. The artificial grass would be lovely but I have no idea of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

emaherx wrote:
    You could always use more traditional strainers in the corners and Clipex for line posts if you wanted.

This is what I would be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone made anything with corriboard? :D

Muckit wrote: »

Is Muckit building forts out of election posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Muckit wrote: »

All my shed gates are sheeted with election posters if that counts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

At least some use comes out of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Come winter time..... election posters are the perfect size for covering the windscreen against frost.
    They’re very handy to have.
    Some of the cabinet doors in the workshop are election posters aswell.

A giant Maria Walsh looking in at me would def keep the chill away! (The fact she's a lesbian and I'm almost 7 years happily married is irrelevant!!:D :D)

visatorro wrote: »
    At least some use comes out of them!

Off topic but in this age of using less plastic and protecting the environment, posters should really be banned.

If they are to be used.
    Then every parish should have an election board or wall where candidates are only allowed one poster be put up and people of the parish can go to view the posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

Off topic but in this age of using less plastic and protecting the environment, posters should really be banned.

If they are to be used.
    Then every parish should have an election board or wall where candidates are only allowed one poster be put up and people of the parish can go to view the posters.

Politicians will never vote for that. Besides its the only way to know who's running because you'll not see them for a few years.

visatorro wrote: »
    Politicians will never vote for that. Besides its the only way to know who's running because you'll not see them for a few years.

Peer pressure might change their tune though.

The posters are not recyclable though. The politicians say they are but all end up in landfill.
    (Bar the few changes of use mentioned above). :pac:

There was a time when posters were made from cardboard till they were "improved" to be more weatherproof and now are made from crude oil.:rolleyes:

It's hypocrisy at it's finest for politicians to preach about being concerned about the environment when their posters are blocking some water drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Theres a female candidate for the co council elections in the Tuam area with "posters" made from white material with her name & picture printed on them.... certainly stands out and probably more environmentally friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Election posters are fierce handy for laying on wet ground under a Jeep or truck. Myself and one the lads do a ferocious scavenge on election nights. Gather a stash for the year. Shed full here at home and his yard

Every parish should have an election board or wall where candidates are only allowed one poster be put up and people of the parish can go to view the posters.

This is how they do it on the continent, well in France anyways l think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Election posters are fierce handy for laying on wet ground under a Jeep or truck. Myself and one the lads do a ferocious scavenge on election nights. Gather a stash for the year. Shed full here at home and his yard

Canvassers are getting wise to is around here, they only place posters at locations where there is cctv

Advertisement