Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Digger thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great idea but you are going to make ****e of that toplink! No need for it.

Muckit wrote: »
    Great idea but you are going to make ****e of that toplink! No need for it.

I know, l keep meaning to make up a bit of steel to suit. Great for piling bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

mayota wrote: »
    I know, l keep meaning to make up a bit of steel to suit. Great for piling bushes.

Guys on motorway construction clearing ditches here had Thumbs in all their diggers, first time I'd seen them and thought it was a very simple solution.
    They had to load the trees/bushes into trailers and draw them back to a mulcher........ they weren't allowed burn anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Diggers should have thumbs, can’t understand why it’s not common here.

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »
    Diggers should have thumbs, can’t understand why it’s not common here.

I think there’s a kind of snobbery about it. I got fed picking up trees and them rolling out of the bucket or trying to come into the cab with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think there’s a kind of snobbery about it. I got fed picking up trees and them rolling out of the bucket or trying to come into the cab with me.

Exactly, some say “if you had a good man on the digger.....” . Seen enough lads fluting around with a bucket to know in many cases it would be ten times faster with a thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Digger thumb.

Great job, toplink will only get let bent if you bend it....
    Spent many hours fooling around with the bucket and rocks and trying to get them up against the track, if I could have had a thumb I'd be spoilt, but I'm probably a better operator now!
    Anyone see the lad in the 360 loading the pass machine a few months back, he got the atm against the track and into the bucket then dropped it in the roof of a caddy.... some operator!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Great job, toplink will only get let bent if you bend it....
    Spent many hours fooling around with the bucket and rocks and trying to get them up against the track, if I could have had a thumb I'd be spoilt, but I'm probably a better operator now!
    Anyone see the lad in the 360 loading the pass machine a few months back, he got the atm against the track and into the bucket then dropped it in the roof of a caddy.... some operator!

Practice, practice and more practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

148multi wrote: »
    Practice, practice and more practice.

What did you buy lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Odelay wrote: »
    Exactly, some say “if you had a good man on the digger.....” . Seen enough lads fluting around with a bucket to know in many cases it would be ten times faster with a thumb.

Thumb and a blade on the digger are fierce handy. The blade gets the same snobbery in my experience.

Suckler wrote: »
    Thumb and a blade on the digger are fierce handy. The blade gets the same snobbery in my experience.

Have a blade on my 3 ton. Wouldn't buy another without it.

Is it any good for levelling or is it just to stop stuff going under the tracks or catching the tracks with teeth?

Probably drop her and keeps things steady when digging too?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Is it any good for levelling or is it just to stop stuff going under the tracks or catching the tracks with teeth?

Probably drop her and keeps things steady when digging too?

Good for all that you mention

Good for all that you mention

Agree. Turn the cab Hald way around and you can level all day long. Good for stability on uneven ground too. Although if you go too far with it the machine bounces a bit , kinda shudders.
    It's out of order the past while. The tracks got greased and one didn't tension. Think the seal is gone on the tensioner. Have to finish a forklift mast before I start the track job.

An example of recycling and guntering I saw on my travels. (or an early prototype heated tarmac body!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Some of my better guntering fencing some of the winterage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Scaffolding bars?

Super super job! I'd put the wire and insulator on the other side of that bend though

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Super super job! I'd put the wire and insulator on the other side of that bend though

Wouldn’t it be more likely to short against the pole though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Me too..... But bet it won't happen unless it breaks. :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Me too..... But bet it won't happen unless it breaks. :D

We're all the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I wouldn't tbh as it allows cattle to scratch the underside of their heads/chins on the top of the pole.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be more likely to short against the pole though?

Shouldn't at that angle, but if in doubt 2 insulators would sort it and leave fence stronger.

God it feels good to be "fighting" over stupid ****e instead of the protests!

Look Mukit, different opinions dose not constitute "fighting" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

At least lights aren't involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reggie. wrote: »

Yet:pac:

Reggie. wrote: »

Ah... Don't be so hard on yourself, we all know you've learned your lesson :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Base price wrote: »
    Scaffolding bars?

Just the 2" tubes like you use in a cattle crush. You can work away with a sledge and they fit between the cracks in the rocks. Couldn't drive timber posts there.

Advertisement