Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Farmer wrote: »
    ...but maybe it would be feasible to circulate it through a small tank with thermostatically controlled heater that keeps the water at a degree or two?

yes that would work.
    on standby generators, which have to come on load (2MW) in less than 12 seconds (from stationary, start, up to speed, altemator sync, and on load) there is a secondary circulation pump for the water when the engine is not in use. this goes through a tube heater which keeps the water temperature at a pre defined setting.
    the engine is up to temp all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

yes that would work.
    on standby generators, which have to come on load (2MW) in less than 12 seconds (from stationary, start, up to speed, altemator sync, and on load) there is a secondary circulation pump for the water when the engine is not in use. this goes through a tube heater which keeps the water temperature at a pre defined setting.

:-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

yes that would work.

:-) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

heating cables inside insulation, would need a stat control to kick on when temp hits 2/3. already in use on central heating systems.
    would be a pain to retrofit on buried pipes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This problem has been in the back of my mind for a few months. I have been too focused on my own concerns to think about it and I am annoyed with myself for letting that happen :(
    Friends of family keep sheep and a few sucklers. They are getting on a bit in the years, he is 74 in Nov and she is 68 next year. They have family but they both live abroad in ZA and AR .
    While I was visiting them we talked amongst other things about the physical workload and difficulties for older farmers handling livestock. The major issue them is when there is a problem with a ewe yeaning. Both of them have arthritis and find it painful to kneel down to handle a ewe on the ground. Mattie reckoned if he could put the ewe into a half barrel (with the end cut off) at table height it would make life a lot easier.
    So I was thinking -
    Could I convert a hospital bed for the purpose.
    The reason that I think a hospital bed might suit is that you can alter the height by pushing on the pedals, lower to put the ewe in and higher to attend to her.
    It has large enough wheels so that it could be moved around from pen to pen.
    Leg, neck braces could be attached to still the ewe from moving about.
    As far as I know, discarded hospital beds can be sourced relatively easily as long as they are going to be scrapped.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially dimensions, measurements - even detailed drawn plans to scale :)
    Oh, forgot to mention - I have the ideas but not the where with all to execute them :confused:
    OH would have to do the physical end of things like welding etc. Unfortunately he is flat out with his own work trying to keep our boat afloat and has not had the time to consider let alone plan this task.
    So I am relying on you lads and lassies to help if ye can.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Heres a bit if kit we made up.
    Our slatted shed was all singles up to last spring when we had to change the slats for gangs. We'd been lifting te singles with a set if hooks.
    The crappy design I the shed meant no agitating point would work.

So we have a gang slat split in half inside the door.

We made up this dolly from parts from a forklift mast, steel bearing wheels.
    The rail is 80x80 heavy box. Made a jig similar to the jig used by the slat company for the pully block to lift the half slats. Once lifted the rail runs them down the shed out of the way, no manual lifting involved.
    Doesn't remove the danger of having slats lifted but takes out the danger of manually lifting slats.

33dcwhj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    This problem has been in the back of my mind for a few months. I have been too focused on my own concerns to think about it and I am annoyed with myself for letting that happen :(
    Friends of family keep sheep and a few sucklers. They are getting on a bit in the years, he is 74 in Nov and she is 68 next year. They have family but they both live abroad in ZA and AR .
    While I was visiting them we talked amongst other things about the physical workload and difficulties for older farmers handling livestock. The major issue them is when there is a problem with a ewe yeaning. Both of them have arthritis and find it painful to kneel down to handle a ewe on the ground. Mattie reckoned if he could put the ewe into a half barrel (with the end cut off) at table height it would make life a lot easier.
    So I was thinking -
    The reason that I think a hospital bed might suit is that you can alter the height by pushing on the pedals, lower to put the ewe in and higher to attend to her.
    As far as I know, discarded hospital beds can be sourced relatively easily as long as they are going to be scrapped.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially dimensions, measurements - even detailed drawn plans to scale :)
    Oh, forgot to mention - I have the ideas but not the where with all to execute them :confused:
    OH would have to do the physical end of things like welding etc. Unfortunately he is flat out with his own work trying to keep our boat afloat and has not had the time to consider let alone plan this task.
    Thanks in advance.
    maybe post this in the sheep forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »
    maybe post this in the sheep forum?

Hospital beds often turn up in our scrap metal dealers yard. Along with crutches and lockers and all sorts of stuff. Stuff you would imaging could get a disinfecting and be put in a container for more needy areas of the world.

Anyway.

Hospital beds have quite a slow method of raising and lowering, by a handle on a threaded bar. If you changed it to a bottle jack, it would be a lot easier for a more aged person to raise and lower. Bit like the Motorcycle mechanic height adjustable workshop benches.

(I have a window guard made for the tractor, for hedgecutting, from a hospital bed. Must take a photo next time its on)

A month without any guntering, here's two different thingies from a couple of years ago.

One gets a lot more use than the other..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

image.jpg
    An action pic of lawnmower trailer. Saved me a lot of time this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mayota wrote: »
    image.jpg
    An action pic of lawnmower trailer. Saved me a lot of time this summer.

This is the one you needed mesh on wasn't it

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A month without any guntering, here's two different thingies from a couple of years ago.

One gets a lot more use than the other..........:D

Fair lump of a drawbar there nek

Reggie. wrote: »
    This is the one you needed mesh on wasn't it

That's the one.

That's the one.

This has been on my mind for a while..

HOw much of the side towards the mower is open ??

When cutting and turning and mowing does grass not miss the trailer altogether??

Could you stick up some more pics please.. Or if the plans were online could you link ..

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Base price wrote: »
    So I was thinking -
    Thanks in advance.

As far as I know the Stanley roll over crate leaves sheep lying on their side for attending to.
    http://stanleyengineeringservices.com/sheep-equipment.html

Fair lump of a drawbar there nek

Ten inch by ten inch, RSJ. I had a 12 x 10, but even I thought it would be a bit much!

Ten inch by ten inch, RSJ. I had a 12 x 10, but even I thought it would be a bit much!

Few rods used there

_Brian wrote: »
    This has been on my mind for a while..

HOw much of the side towards the mower is open ??

When cutting and turning and mowing does grass not miss the trailer altogether??

Could you stick up some more pics please.. Or if the plans were online could you link ..

Cheers..

1200mm long. 850mm high. 1000mm wide at rear, 950mm at front. Bottom 150mm closed at front. Missing the trailer is not a problem but has to be watched, kept drawbar as short as possible without catching wheels.Attachment not found.image.jpg

Few rods used there

I think it was two and a half boxes of rods. It was a Ford Cargo 16 tonner from a County Council auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

1200mm long. 850mm high. 1000mm wide at rear, 950mm at front. Bottom 150mm closed at front. Missing the trailer is not a problem but has to be watched, kept drawbar as short as possible without catching wheels.Attachment not found.image.jpg

I guess once you have the headlands done you just pick a straight border. Does it hold much more than a bag? How do you keep tail door shut?

• Advertisement

C0N0R wrote: »
    I guess once you have the headlands done you just pick a straight border. Does it hold much more than a bag? How do you keep tail door shut?

Just a pin at the bottom to keep it closed. An auto tailgate could be designed. I'd say it holds about 5 bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Just a pin at the bottom to keep it closed. An auto tailgate could be designed. I'd say it holds about 5 bags.

Wow holds quite a bit! Makes me want a ride on!! Auto tailgate and a tipping mechanism wouldn't be to hard to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

image.jpg
    An action pic of lawnmower trailer. Saved me a lot of time this summer

you should put a patent on that design and stop some cute hoor stealing your idea from here. that trailor idea is very good,and they would sell to every landscaping crowd in the country!
    some serious money could be made from that trailor......

image.jpg
    An action pic of lawnmower trailer. Saved me a lot of time this summer

you should put a patent on that design and stop some cute hoor stealing your idea from here. that trailor idea is very good,and they would sell to every landscaping crowd in the country!
    some serious money could be made from that trailor......

too late
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h6TnXAuBQ0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

rangler1 wrote: »

the same principle applies to any of the "inventions" on display here....if it works well, it will taken and mass produced by some engineering firm.
    patent it first, then show it off to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭king_m

heres a bit if kit we made up.
    Our slatted shed was all singles up to last spring when we had to change the slats for gangs. We'd been lifting te singles with a set if hooks.

Hi Brian, just a question how did you split the gang slat, was it with a conc saw and cut from from the top and bottom, looking to do something very similar with my own tank, a three bay with agitation point on one end, it takes an eternity in the summer to agitate as it is not put out until after silage...

king_m wrote: »
    heres a bit if kit we made up.

Hi Brian, just a question how did you split the gang slat, was it with a conc saw and cut from from the top and bottom, looking to do something very similar with my own tank, a three bay with agitation point on one end, it takes an eternity in the summer to agitate as it is not put out until after silage...

Yea split with con saw but supplier split them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnsey

Is it necessary to be able to lift the sheep up ? Could the sheep not walk up a short ramp onto a platform at table height and this could b mounted on wheels for moving around .most sheep around lambing time will follow a bucket anywhere. I'm not able to post pictures but if you google goat milking stand you might see the idea I'm talking about. I find the simpler these things are kept the better they work

Pics of the bale extension
    C6qCNXDl.jpg
    cGnpSfVl.jpg
    PhEDyvJl.jpg
    ATkpuZsl.jpg

• Advertisement

More. This is how it's connected to the trailer
    jajiOGNl.jpg
    B2jVtJXl.jpg
    hyj8V1Ll.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Dunno reggie.

apart from the duct taped pipe that looks a bit tidy to be guntering

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Dunno reggie.

apart from the duct taped pipe that looks a bit tidy to be guntering

I thought the pipe would make it qualify for guntering :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Pics ofbale extension

Good man. Was thinking would have to slide into chassis. I think nugent do a similar job. Have you a pic from underneath of where it slides into chassis?? Thanks

Muckit wrote: »
    Good man. Was thinking would have to slide into chassis. I think nugent do a similar job. Have you a pic from underneath of where it slides into chassis?? Thanks

Here ya are Muckit. Now if only my bootiful assistant Kovu could embed the pics please :D

TotuiOrl.jpg
    z5QkMjWl.jpg
    MdGFBPol.jpg
    Ze6v1RRl.jpg

Reggie.. I'll be nosey..
    Are the uprights of your shed 3" Gun-barrel ?? Am I right from the pics that the roof is structurally all timber?? Did you do the shed yourself ??

• Advertisement

Here ya are Muckit. Now if only my bootiful assistant Kovu could embed the pics please :D

I've done my trailer the same way, more greedy than you, extended the trailer by a full bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reggie.. I'll be nosey..
    Are the uprights of your shed 3" Gun-barrel ?? Am I right from the pics that the roof is structurally all timber?? Did you do the shed yourself ??

You're not the first one to ask. He'll be along shortly once nappy duties are out of the way :D

just do it wrote: »
    You're not the first one to ask. He'll be along shortly once nappy duties are out of the way :D

How did you know it's bedtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

How did you know it's bedtime

I'm off duty tonight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks for pics Reggie. I suppose it's a loader job to shove on and off?

• Advertisement

Reggie.. I'll be nosey..

6" and 5" gun barrel. And the roof is all timber. I helped to build it but can't take much credit. Did put up the uprights myself tho :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks for pics Reggie. I suppose it's a loader job to shove on and off?

No I can get the bottom part on by myself with a little struggle but it's really a 2 man job. The racks are a loader job tho

just do it wrote: »
    I'm off duty tonight ;)

Well I only get to do the last bottle with the day job so have to have the quality time

Reggie.. I'll be nosey..

Here ya are Brian
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057270612/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

C0N0R wrote: »

That is tidy looking work. Would it be possible to make a 2ft chute to come off the back of the mower into the trailer. If it was made of something flexible, like the pipe for sucking up slurry, it would bend rather than break. When it comes in contact with the edges of the trailer on a v tight turn, it would press against them and maybe close in a bit but would help with loosing grass.

Two pics of a guard for the tractor, made from the frame of one of those elevating hospital trolley's. Opens like the door of a Massey 2640, for those of you old enough to remember. Also made a plywood guard for the engine side panel.

Two pics of a guard for the tractor, made from the frame of one of those elevating hospital trolley's. Opens like the door of a Massey 2640, for those of you old enough to remember. Also made a plywood guard for the engine side panel.

Very tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Nott much good for keeping out wind and rain :mad:

dharn wrote: »
    Nott much good for keeping out wind and rain :mad:

I have a new glass in the shed, but door frame needs a bit of welding first. Fiats are famous for letting the entire glass fall out if you hit a sudden rut.

Never let a passenger lean up against the door glass, due to the design of the rubber seal, you could easily end up driving across them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Ya had an 80-90 best engine for torque I ever had, but the cab bonnet etc rusted off it

• Advertisement
Advertisement