Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

I see Lidl have a 4 in 1 Petrol Garden Multi-Tool for sale this week. It has a strimmer, brush blade, hedge trimmer and pole saw (chainsaw). All for €150.
    I know it looks too good to be true, but I bought the battery hedge trimmers before and it's a great little machine.

Anyone have one already?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/leaflet/monday-10th-wednesday-19th-feb-2020/view/flyer/page/20

Bought one 2/3 years ago just for the pole saw. It's ideal for clipping low branches in the way of machinery but its really only a toy at the end of the day. I couldn't see it lasting long if being used constantly but does what I want it for.

Its easy enough to start and light on petrol but does have a few little issues.
    There's a noticable amount of power lost when using the extension bar but still capable of cutting a decent size branch if given time.
    The the bolts on the clamps for joining sections together kept coming lose from vibrations while working so took them out and put in bolts with lock nuts.
    Mine came with a star blade for the strimmers head but for some reason it vibrates so badly that you can't hold the machine - works perfectly fine with the cord attachemnt :confused:
    Haven't used the hedge trimmers attachment as I already have a normal one but wouldn't imagine it would be fit for much

Saying all that I can't complain for what it cost in comparison to the likes of a stihl polesaw aswell as a 3 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

rushvalley wrote: »

Mine came with a star blade for the strimmers head but for some reason it vibrates so badly that you can't hold the machine - works perfectly fine with the cord attachemnt :confused:

I had the same problem with a Stihl FS81 strimmer - I was inserting the washer the wrong way around - the shouldered part should have been uppermost. The one that looks like the top right washer in this link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-For-Strimmer-Brushcutter-Replacement-of-Metal-Gearbox-Blade-Nut-Fixing-Kit/164043505697?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D225114%26meid%3D2291c9e570f543a7a4d9c8b0a5310373%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D332633596318%26itm%3D164043505697%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have one of these for about 12 months.

Great value for money, but you want to be a bit sympathetic to machinery. When joints get a bit loose you need to tighten them etc.

Carburetor came loose on mine and wouldn't run smoothly (air getting in) but simply tightening up the bolts sorted it perfectly. Could have brought it back, but it was less effort to fix it than go to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

rushvalley wrote: »
    Bought one 2/3 years ago just for the pole saw. It's ideal for clipping low branches in the way of machinery but its really only a toy at the end of the day. I couldn't see it lasting long if being used constantly but does what I want it for.

That's all Aldi/Lidl gear in a nutshell. Its aimed at homeowners/DIYers. If you don't bull in thinking you've a professional's machine they generally last for years. If you're looking to use every day and make a living with the machine, buy a professional Stihl or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭pms7

That's all Aldi/Lidl gear in a nutshell. Its aimed at homeowners/DIYers. If you don't bull in thinking you've a professional's machine they generally last for years. If you're looking to use every day and make a living with the machine, buy a professional Stihl or similar.
    That is true.
    Got Aldi chainsaw for occasional use, €99 with 3 year warranty. Warranty up in March this year. Spark plug cable broke in Nov, posted new one free, fitted it, now engine wont turn, seems to lock after small pull of cord. Told them, said no replacements available, but due full refund on my warranty, just take it back to shop.
    The way they honour their 3 year warranty is super. Had a hammer drill collected at door and new better model dropped off few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Upgraded the mirror arms on my 390T to make towing new cattle trailer a bit safer.

49735677461_6e192192cc_c.jpgIMG_20200404_161109 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49736005352_edb7ce3510_c.jpgIMG_20200404_162826 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49735677311_02de5b7a1b_c.jpgIMG_20200404_162838 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49735134693_aedbdd516d_c.jpgIMG_20200404_162931 by Emaherx, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Can you give details on them and how you mounted them. A xl cabbed IH here needs new mirrors and arms and I would like to mount them out there rather than the middle of the door like originally. Very hard to adjust there.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Can you give details on them and how you mounted them. A xl cabbed IH here needs new mirrors and arms and I would like to mount them out there rather than the middle of the door like originally. Very hard to adjust there.

They are just bolted to where old ones were. There is 4 holes in new arm two of the lined up with the old holes in the cab. I'm gong to make brackets to secure the other 2 holes but going to leave it a few days to make sure I'm happy with location.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

emaherx wrote: »
    Upgraded the mirror arms on my 390T to make towing new cattle trailer a bit safer.

49735677461_6e192192cc_c.jpgIMG_20200404_161109 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49736005352_edb7ce3510_c.jpgIMG_20200404_162826 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49735677311_02de5b7a1b_c.jpgIMG_20200404_162838 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49735134693_aedbdd516d_c.jpgIMG_20200404_162931 by Emaherx, on Flickr

Where did you get the telescopic arms? I've an IH XL cab too and would like to change to arms like those.

Where did you get the telescopic arms? I've an IH XL cab too and would like to change to arms like those.

https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/Telescopic-Mirror-Arms-for-Tractors/Mirror-Arm-LH-RH-Extendable-400-620mm-Arm-15mm-Spring-loaded/27628

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

_20200408_205157.JPGDehorning crate revamp.

1. New timbers for base,
    2. Lengthened lever at head area.
    3. Old lawnmower wheels added
    4. Lifting arms for moving around

Cheap job, that might make things a bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Bit of stone-age guntering here..
    Tractor on out farm not running well yesterday, the filter in the lift pump was horrendous looking.
    Bought two diesel filters and of course, when fitting and bleeding them one bleed screw threads stripped.
    Twig to the rescue..

Em0sc6D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

We have a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Tractor on out farm not running well yesterday, the filter in the lift pump was horrendous looking.
    Bought two diesel filters and of course, when fitting and bleeding them one bleed screw threads stripped.
    Twig to the rescue..

Em0sc6D.jpg

Diesel and timber???? What could go wrong :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Diesel and timber???? What could go wrong :D

The dry twig will expand when soaked in the diesel, forming an air tight seal! :D

They don't teach this sort of stuff in Reaseheath!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

international-harvester-844-xl.jpg

For an xl cab these style are the best job.

Apparently they're from the maxxum series.

Pricey though I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

international-harvester-844-xl.jpg

For an xl cab these style are the best job.

Apparently they're from the maxxum series.

Pricey though I believe.

Nice looking Nasher there lad..................................

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Twig to the rescue..

Em0sc6D.jpg
    Fiat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

stock> wrote: »
    Nice looking Nasher there lad..................................

I wish.

I've a rougher 4wd 885xl

With rough to non existent wing mirrors. Those fancy ones in the above pic and on the wishlist though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Twig to the rescue..

Em0sc6D.jpg
    Odelay wrote: »
    We have a winner!

We may as well close the thread now, we've reached peak guntering:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The dry twig will expand when soaked in the diesel, forming an air tight seal! :D

They don't teach this sort of stuff in Reaseheath!

However I do remember JM in gorta bog saying you should always have a hammer a chisel and a vice grip in the toolbox. Looks like you had a penknife as well.:D

Did you get the jeep passed? Mine has been postponed.:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    However I do remember JM in gorta bog saying you should always have a hammer a chisel and a vice grip in the toolbox. Looks like you had a penknife as well.:D

Did you get the jeep passed? Mine has been postponed.:cool:

No, needed a headlamp adjusted, two rear bumps tops, and there was a steel brake line he didn't like the look of.
    Now that lots done, the test centre is closed...
    I suppose the 3 weeks test period won't commence till they open again?

Some cheap cameras from eBay to go with my new telescopic mirrors.

49760343133_ca53df1e59_c.jpgIMG_20200411_144634 by Emaherx, on Flickr

49760342998_3dd80d15f8_c.jpgIMG_20200411_145225 by Emaherx, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

That is a great job. I would love to have a removable camera. Could have it on slurry tanker and also on trailer. Have had things robbed at mart days in the past, so would stop that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Nice upgrade - what kind of weight is that trailer unladen ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Nice upgrade - what kind of weight is that trailer unladen ?

Unladen? Not a clue.
    Max laden weight is 8,000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Some cheap cameras from eBay to go with my new telescopic mirror

Some job...Is that wireless?
    If not how is it worked?
    Could you pm me a link to that camera if you don’t mind

Sillycave wrote: »

Some job...Is that wireless?
    If not how is it worked?
    Could you pm me a link to that camera if you don’t mind

Camera is wired. Personally I prefer things like this to be wired where possible, it makes them more reliable and there is no need for charging. There is only one more cable to hook up when attaching trailer so it's hardly an issue. Cable is routed through channels on trailer along side the lighting wiring loom. Camera uses a single cable for video and power.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183920448738

The kit came with 2 cameras so I'm going to put the other one on another trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I've a 17 ft heavy gate to hang, its across the roadway up to the yard. I've an rsj to hang it on. It has to be cut, and wondering if I can get two posts out of it.
    What depth would I need to go down with the rsj to be sure it doesn't lean under the weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭enricoh

Camera is wired. Personally I prefer things like this to be wired where possible, it makes them more reliable and there is no need for charging. There is only one more cable to hook up when attaching trailer so it's hardly an issue. Cable is routed through channels on trailer along side the lighting wiring loom. Camera uses a single cable for video and power.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183920448738

The kit came with 2 cameras so I'm going to put the other one on another trailer.

Good kit for that money, there's a lad beside me that installs them and dash cams etc. He'd have no problem charging 5 or 600 for that. Some mark up.

Advertisement