Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Figerty

Mf 35 Restoration..
    Going Back to its original colour,... like most of the women in the country

511890.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Figerty wrote: »
    Mf 35 Restoration..

Was it an industrial one?. Lovely job on the paintwork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Figerty wrote: »
    Mf 35 Restoration..

You could do a whole thread on just that.
    Or even link a photo album of the whole job like flickr etc. Nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Figerty

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Was it an industrial one?. Lovely job on the paintwork

Yes, an Industrial JNM serial number,. 1962 It's going back to work when done! Hydraulic pump done last year and the Hydraulic Piston replaced. Engine done about 15 years and perfect.

I have a good few photos so an put them up. A lot of learning. It's abit like father Teds car.. once you start, you can't stop at it..And as someone said, to me, the thing about rust is that it's always worse than it looks.

Import from the UK about 40 years ago painted Red. About 20 years ago the indsutrial brakes were taken off the back. part couldn't be gotten, but I regret that now. Apparenlty most have had the same done as the dual brakes stop working. I'm sorry we didn't keep the back axles as it was more original.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Don't have a lot of shed storage space.

Was wondering if one was to lay out silage bales in a field, on the round side. And when hay is made, to put the hay bales on top of the these silage bales, also on the round side in between them. And maybe a 3rd layer on top of more hay. So hay wouldn't be touching the ground, and taking in moisture. And then cover the whole lot with a tarpaulin.

How would this sound?

• Advertisement

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Don't have a lot of shed storage space.

Was wondering if one was to lay out silage bales in a field, on the round side. And when hay is made, to put the hay bales on top of the these silage bales, also on the round side in between them. And maybe a 3rd layer on top of more hay. So hay wouldn't be touching the ground, and taking in moisture. And then cover the whole lot with a tarpaulin.

How would this sound?

we put rounds of hay on pallets last year and tarp over. Had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

we put rounds of hay on pallets last year and tarp over. Had no issues

Yep.

I’ve seen hay stored on blocks with lengths of 6*3 and polythene over them. Came out perfect. Just choose a sheltered site. 2 blocks high off the ground to allow air in under them.

_Brian wrote: »
    Yep.

I’ve seen hay stored on blocks with lengths of 6*3 and polythene over them. Came out perfect. Just choose a sheltered site. 2 blocks high off the ground to allow air in under them.

not as good as a shed i guess but did the job

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

not as good as a shed i guess but did the job

I saw bales that came out and they were great.
    See plenty worse in open sided “haysheds”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone make a gadget for uprooting ragworth? Theres too much of it there to be bending down and pulling.First cut silage field so no point in spraying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone make a gadget for uprooting ragworth? Theres too much of it there to be bending down and pulling.First cut silage field so no point in spraying.

This may be what you're looking for.

https://www.whitesagri.ie/product/easitools-multi-weeda-rag-fork/

That's just the first one in my search, there may be cheaper out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Tip-pull weeds when ground has plenty moisture More likely root to break when pulling if dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭endainoz

Looks a great product, I just picked one up. Not mad about the colour though!

endainoz wrote: »

Slap a dollop of paint on it, comes in under guntering then:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭endainoz

It'll be a grand handy way instead of pulling them, it might do for docks aswell?

It'll be a grand handy way instead of pulling them, it might do for docks aswell?

It will do thistles as well but I think the root of the dock goes too deep and is too big unless gotten to early?

I'm meaning to get one for a while for thistles myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Hi Guys ,
    I'm putting in an unmetered connection on an off farm for mains fence .
    Just wondering what any of ye that have this put in have put in place to secure the energizer unit from theft .
    Pictures would be great .
    Thanks in advance .
    R&S .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Hi Guys ,
    Just wondering what any of ye that have this put in have put in place to secure the energizer unit from theft .
    Thanks in advance .
    R&S .

There is anti theft boxes available, Box is electrified too. an insulated key opens it
    https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-farming-anti-theft-box-safebox-incl-mounting-post.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzN71BRCOARIsAF8pjfgXHSfXeuM3PxL-mFJXeyZ5qenCU7FqABifMoqXgy1wlsHeiIoBebMaAsSFEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

wrangler wrote: »

A good idea if you want to do away with some fella with an esb connection

wrangler wrote: »
    Cheers .. ya seen them .
    I was thinking of something a bit bigger that I could fit esb meter box inside and leave maybe a few pigtails and roll of white tape ... trying to avoid blocking ...
    Might have to go to drawing board .

• Advertisement

I ordered one from them a few weeks ago. The one that arrived was actually blue.

It will do thistles as well but I think the root of the dock goes too deep and is too big unless gotten to early?

I'm meaning to get one for a while for thistles myself.

It's not great against some of the larger spear thistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I had one last year and it’s a great job. Pulling it before it Flowers is a waste of thins but that will work.

It’s no quicker than pulling but it’s easier and it will get the root every time which doesn’t happen with pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Hi Guys ,
    Thanks in advance .
    R&S .

How much does it cost to get this unmetered connection installed? Would it run a water pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

How much does it cost to get this unmetered connection installed? Would it run a water pump?

The ESB connection cost me €850. The supply will be cut off if anything other than an El Fence is connected.

The ESB connection cost me €850. The supply will be cut off if anything other than an El Fence is connected.

Even lights in a shed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Aravo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has made up an hydraulic ram system for moving a roller on wheels. Photographs and tips welcome

This is made by Fleming, swivels at the front of the frame. Ram is double acting. If I was doing one from scratch I'd make the drawbar telescopic for sowing grass seed with a spinner and put a bit of a frame on top to pick up the odd stone that needs picking.

It sways a bit on the road, so maybe the wheels would want to be further apart. Hope this helps.

512583.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Aravo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has made up an hydraulic ram system for moving a roller on wheels. Photographs and tips welcome

My advice would be to try and replicate the end tow rollers. There would be less issues with the width of it nipping about wee roads and gateways.

Take a look at this one. It could be simplified to use the same drawbar for both road and field towing.

This one is a bit more convoluted:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Home made version with reuse of the drawbar:

• Advertisement

I'll let ya know once they come back to me after this lockdown .

Advertisement