Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Even lights in a shed?

Yes strictly for electric fence. When I got it in was told it wouldn't work anything else. There is no meter . You just pay ground rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

513009.jpg
    Sometimes the simple ones are the best. For years was thinking of putting some kind of box here, to stop things sliiding about.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sometimes the simple ones are the best. For years was thinking of putting some kind of box here, to stop things sliiding about.

Just think,if you'd fixed the box there you wouldn't have been able to carry something like the chainsaw ,because the box would be full of crap ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The ESB connection cost me €850. The supply will be cut off if anything other than an El Fence is connected.

How much then is the monthly charge???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

cute geoge wrote: »
    How much then is the monthly charge???

I'm paying 9 euro every 2 months

There's a low amp fuse in the supply if you overload it, it will blow.

They will replace it, but if its regular reoccurring they disconnect the supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

How do you find the saw? Want to buy another small saw but can't decide between another husqvarna 135 or what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Bought a small husqvarna saw in May 2018, it has very little work done. Can't start it this year. Others more knowledgeable than I tried, no joy. Saw on some forum, (not boards.ie) that Husqvarna are outsourcing the manufacture of the smaller saws and that these are not reliable - the same thread recommended Stihl for all sizes).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought a small husqvarna saw in May 2018, it has very little work done. Can't start it this year. Others more knowledgeable than I tried, no joy. Saw on some forum, (not boards.ie) that Husqvarna are outsourcing the manufacture of the smaller saws and that these are not reliable - the same thread recommended Stihl for all sizes).

Thant makes sense given how cheap they are. I was 5 minutes ago eyeing up a 135 from the UK for 210 euros. Seems cheap

Lots of 120’s around at 200 in Ireland....Seems cheap for the brand.

Are them ones too small to be useful? Have a big stihl.

Our last husk. I think a 335 or 425 or something like that wasn’t up to much. Worked fine for a year or two. Couple of small repairs. Full rebuild two years ago. In ****e now. Almost turned off the brand.

rushvalley wrote: »
    How do you find the saw? Want to buy another small saw but can't decide between another husqvarna 135 or what you have

Stihl MS170
    I bought it on Black Friday from Robert Kee in Donegal. Got it for €245 delivered.
    A bit pissed off when I saw that it was made in China by Stihl, but still. 12" bar and very light. You could hold it outright in one hand. Very happy with it overall. It's basic enough. The air intake filter is cloth like rather than a plastic mesh as in my MS250. No High or Low adjustment on the carburator either, so no need to adjust.
    Will be happy if it lasts as long as my MS250, which is an animal to cut by comparison.I have that over 20 years.
    The MS170 starts very easy first time. Ideal saw I think around the farm for light work.

https://robertkee.ie/product/stihl-chainsaw-ms-170

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Stihl MS170
    I bought it on Black Friday from Robert Kee in Donegal. Got it for €245 delivered.
    A bit pissed off when I saw that it was made in China by Stihl, but still. 12" bar and very light. You could hold it outright in one hand. Very happy with it overall. It's basic enough. The air intake filter is cloth like rather than a plastic mesh as in my MS250. No High or Low adjustment on the carburator either, so no need to adjust.
    Will be happy if it lasts as long as my MS250, which is an animal to cut by comparison.I have that over 20 years.
    The MS170 starts very easy first time. Ideal saw I think around the farm for light work.

Great saw for the money. I have one for years on a 14” bar. Keep her sharp and lubed and she’ll cut plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

I bought a husqvarna 135 few years back. It does the trimming etc easily but can struggle a bit on bigger branches. I've had it cut out the odd time after a bit of work while idling so I wouldn't be fully satisfied with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Stihl MS170

I've a MS 180, a lovely saw, I also have a 20 +yr old bigger stihl, I buy local , they've a good service guy so I like to support

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Ms 170 available online from uk for less than 200!

12 inch bar seems tiny but in videos doesn’t look that small.

Husk 120 vs Stihl 170......can’t decide!

The reason I went 12" on the MS170 is I have a 16" bar on the MS250. I wanted an ultra light saw for around the farm. Look at the power to weight ratio. Tells a lot about a saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

My little effort today for a broken trowel. New handle was previously from a scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bamayang

mayota wrote: »
    Great saw for the money. I have one for years on a 14” bar. Keep her sharp and lubed and she’ll cut plenty.

On the subject, how do lads sharpen. Is it just a little hand file and tip away little and often or any tips?

bamayang wrote: »
    On the subject, how do lads sharpen. Is it just a little hand file and tip away little and often or any tips?

I use a handfile and holder kit. It also has a depth gauge with flat file. Used it only yesterday. Very easy file with it.
    Similar to this;
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Stihl-Chainsaw-Sharpening-Kit-Round-File-Flat-File-Depth-Gauge-5605-007-1027/272047576440?hash=item3f574c9578:g:yWkAAOSwNSxU9xHY

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Stihl MS170

It mightn't be Chinese made, Stihl made that model in Virginia Beach in Florida for years.
    Of course, they may have switched production since.

Bought a "universal" seat off ebay for the international digger i have (with compressor on back). Took some guntering to get it in. Very awkward to work with the compressor in the way.

49901336631_826658a595.jpgIMG_20200516_134716 by KevHog, on Flickr

49901337021_e0f4df099e.jpgIMG_20200516_134725 by KevHog, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

bamayang wrote: »

Little and often is best. I use on of these
    https://images.app.goo.gl/j24d2n3NprVAF4o86

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I started using an electric chain sharper that I get cheap from Lidl/Aldi, It's got a rotating stone. I used it on an old chain
    and also used it to file down the rackers, it worked great.
    So I use the hand file normally and once every so often I use the electric file, it seems to put a good edge and keeps all
    the cutting edges the same.

I only cut for myself and my parents so would not be a heavy user.

SCOL wrote: »
    I started using an electric chain sharper that I get cheap from Lidl/Aldi, It's got a rotating stone. I used it on an old chain
    So I use the hand file normally and once every so often I use the electric file, it seems to put a good edge and keeps all

any pics of how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

One of my tenants has something similar,I've used it a few times, seems to do agood job and quick, plugs into a cigarette lighter, it's an oregon.
    Like this

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-575214-Suresharp-Handheld-Consumer/dp/B073GSGNLV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Does this work universally on all Stihl chains or do you have to get one specifically to match your bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

MfMan wrote: »
    Does this work universally on all Stihl chains or do you have to get one specifically to match your bar?

The bar doesn’t matter but the chain does. Different chains have different pitches on the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭older by the day

I use that tool too. Good job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea I use that too. Super job.

The bar doesn’t matter but the chain does. Different chains have different pitches on the teeth.

It's really the file size, angle of filing and depth of rakers that have to be checked to see if they are right. Pitch is the distance between 3 consecutive rivets on the chain, divided by two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

It plugs into the mains, something like this.
    https://ige.ie/electric-chain-saw-sharpener/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9WN8Gz7vcuF4OxpRAIPBarNHDugZV7KhytyUe2bk3mQzdyEQERyKxRoCx5IQAvD_BwE

Advertisement