Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

SCOL wrote: »

Looking at that page they have a drill.bit sharpener. Anyone ever use one? Are they worth having?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It's really the file size, angle of filing and depth of rakers that have to be checked to see if they are right. Pitch is the distance between 3 consecutive rivets on the chain, divided by two.

Ok I was using the wrong terminology there but we’re thinking along the same lines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone got a handy way of cutting an IPE200 girder at an angle other than using a bandsaw? I was looking at Chopsaws but they won't cut that big.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone got a handy way of cutting an IPE200 girder at an angle other than using a bandsaw? I was looking at Chopsaws but they won't cut that big.

A 12 inch consaw with a new disc would be the simplest way. Might be a bit primitive and you'd need a steady hand to get a neat cut but fast and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

plasma cutter....................................................................................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well it is the guntering thread, we used a bevel gauge and a sharpie to mark it out then cutaway with a 9'' angle grinder, new disc helps. Tape on a broken ruler to the bevel gauge for an extension;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I was looking at the Evolution EVO355 Chop Saw, but it will only cut 95x180mm and an IPE200 is 200x100mm. Typical. They have a bigger 380 model but it doesn't seem to be avilable in Europe.

https://www.everydayweldingsupplies.com/evolution-evo355-raptor-14-inch-355mm-cut-off-saw-with-blue-metal-cutting-blade

I cut them before with a 3" angle grinder on the 100 sides and then a hacksaw along the middle flange. Nice clean cut....but kinda slow. :D
    I want a clean cut for welding.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Have you many to do?

blue5000 wrote: »
    Have you many to do?

Ya, thinking about putting up a shed. :rolleyes: This is the last piece of the jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

9" grinder with new blades to get into the web. I've cut dozens this way. Use a scriber for accuracy especially at an angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A bit of elbow grease and one of these

(joke of course)

Ya, thinking about putting up a shed. :rolleyes: This is the last piece of the jigsaw.

Try work the lengths of the pillars out so that one angled cut does the tops of 2 pillars IYKWIM. What's the price of steel like these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

49938137052_2516812660_c.jpgIMG_20200524_193854 by Emaherx, on Flickr

New poly tunnel under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

9 inch grinder with the skinny stainless steel discs will cut through very easily and have the small grinder with a grinding disc to dress up the edges afterwards.

A lot of crowds will cut the top of the pillars to the correct pitch of your roof it you ask leaving only the trusses to be cut at the ends wouldn't have to be too accurate if it's just a lean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

emaherx wrote: »
    49938137052_2516812660_c.jpgIMG_20200524_193854 by Emaherx, on Flickr

New poly tunnel under construction.

any more pics of the 135. She looks a clean one!!

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    any more pics of the 135. She looks a clean one!!

Love this thread.......
    It's always the back ground :D

Here you go
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskthP6Q8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Love this thread.......

Here you go

Lovely tractor. Still at mine for about 5 yrs :p

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Lovely tractor. Still at mine for about 5 yrs :p

Like this one for me, some times other things get in the way

https://www.flickr.com/gp/14733679@N07/D959e5

Like this one for me, some times other things get in the way

https://www.flickr.com/gp/14733679@N07/D959e5

That's one dirty sump filter. Was the torque convertor goosed in it?

That's one dirty sump filter. Was the torque convertor goosed in it?

Don't believe I have a picture of the sump filter there.... Possibly the oil bath air breather? It was a bit smokey when I got it :D

Pump and drive lugs needed replacing. But I had only split it to do rope seal.

Haven't had time to look at it since little one was born and Dad passed away nearly 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great photos, emaherx.
    You'll get it finished yet, the back is broken on the work.

Anyone ever hear about Green Dragon, how things are going?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Great photos, emaherx.
    You'll get it finished yet, the back is broken on the work.

Anyone ever hear about Green Dragon, how things are going?

I'm not too concerned. Had a very similar long pause with the 135, when the boys were born. I'm seeing a pattern there, I'll be very cautious about starting into another tractor. :D

Haven heard or seen anything from green dragon in a long while, be hard to compete with his work, he put a lot of time and effort into preserving original tin work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm not too concerned. Had a very similar long pause with the 135, when the boys were born. I'm seeing a pattern there, I'll be very cautious about starting into another tractor. :D

Haven heard or seen anything from green dragon in a long while, be hard to compete with his work, he put a lot of time and effort into preserving original tin work.

Great work there.

My wife says i only farm so I can break things and then spend the time fixing them since I don’t work at maintenance any more.

I think she may actually be right.

_Brian wrote: »
    Great work there.

My wife says i only farm so I can break things and then spend the time fixing them since I don’t work at maintenance any more.

Fixing stuff is the easy bit, painting small individual parts before reassembling can be torture. Sometimes I'm tempted to just put it back together the way it is but I'd probably regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

_Brian wrote: »
    Great work there.

What kind of maintenance did you work at if ya don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Love this thread.......

Here you go

Did you sell the cab? Or by any chance do you still have the support brackets for underneath the mudgaurds?

rushvalley wrote: »
    Did you sell the cab? Or by any chance do you still have the support brackets for underneath the mudgaurds?

I sold the cab. To someone on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Lads would any of ye have any ideas for covering a water tank 20ft x 17ft that wouldn't cost a fortune? Was thinking old slats but won't get them long enough. It won't be bearing any weight only its own. Just incase anyone would ever fall into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Lads would any of ye have any ideas for covering a water tank 20ft x 17ft that wouldn't cost a fortune? Was thinking old slats but won't get them long enough. It won't be bearing any weight only its own. Just incase anyone would ever fall into it.

Sheepwire?

• Advertisement

Drill tru holes near the top (before concrete sets fully), feed high tensile wire tru the holes and tension with a wire strainer like these;
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Fencing-Ratchet-Wire-Strainer.html

Advertisement