Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Angle iron sections bolted down onto the concrete with heavy welded mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Put a railing along the top of the wall like a silage pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What happened here:
    42553024211_2b056e5c9c.jpg
    FB_IMG_15280922159792591 by Emaherx, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Lads would any of ye have any ideas for covering a water tank 20ft x 17ft that wouldn't cost a fortune? Was thinking old slats but won't get them long enough. It won't be bearing any weight only its own. Just incase anyone would ever fall into it.

Surely if it is wired off correctly with wire mesh this would be the standard procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

What happened here:
    42553024211_2b056e5c9c.jpg
    FB_IMG_15280922159792591 by Emaherx, on Flickr

:D

The story behind it is much worse than the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emaherx wrote: »
    :D

The story behind it is much worse than the picture.

We have time on our hands....:pac:

We have time on our hands....:pac:

Yes Sheriff that is my tractor, but at the time of the alleged incident I was neither owner or operator of the machine.

I was baling and another genius was drawing the bales out of the field. I was sent this picture and I couldn't figure out what had happened because that ditch is on the wrong side of the tractor.

So what happened is:
    that's a very narrow private lane (stone surface hasn't seen much traffic since donkey and cart days) driver of the tractor was drawing bales out of the field lost a bale, which is no big deal, you'd leave it till later right. But no he decided he'd collect the bale on the way back to the field sure he'd collect it with just the right spike and keep coming without unhooking the trailer. As he drove along the side of the verge the bank collapsed and tractor and trailer went straight into the ditch.

The trailer had already been recovered when the picture was taken.

The operator of the tractor is reminded regularly that he is probably the only person in the history of farming to loose a tractor, trailer and a bale on the way back to a field and picture sent to him anytime he needs to be reminded of silly choices.

It was a reasonable plan until:
    the bank collapsed

Sounds like something I'd attempt. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

I was Guessing he was on tik tok and drove into the dyke.

893bet wrote: »
    I was Guessing he was on tik tok and drove into the dyke.

I doubt it, when that happened it would have taken 10 min to upload the still image to Bebo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I doubt it, when that happened it would have taken 10 min to upload the still image to Bebo

In my day, we'd have to wait to collect the photos from the chemist shop:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

cute geoge wrote: »
    Surely if it is wired off correctly with wire mesh this would be the standard procedure

Ya it would probably be ok but would think it be a better job to have it covered as opposed to fenced off. Tank is 9ft deep and God fobid a young lad climbed over a fence and fell into it.

In my day, we'd have to wait to collect the photos from the chemist shop:D

There is a major gap in photographic history where most photos taken at the end of the 90's and begining of the 00's are grainy and pixelated. Photos from the cheapest disposable 35mm film camera were far superior to early digital cameras and leagues ahead of early phone cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Lads would any of ye have any ideas for covering a water tank 20ft x 17ft that wouldn't cost a fortune? Was thinking old slats but won't get them long enough. It won't be bearing any weight only its own. Just incase anyone would ever fall into it.

Steel grating / walkway. Beams required but straight forward and save to walk on

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Yes Sheriff that is my tractor, but at the time of the alleged incident I was neither owner or operator of the machine.

I was baling and another genius was drawing the bales out of the field. I was sent this picture and I couldn't figure out what had happened because that ditch is on the wrong side of the tractor.

So what happened is:
    that's a very narrow private lane (stone surface hasn't seen much traffic since donkey and cart days) driver of the tractor was drawing bales out of the field lost a bale, which is no big deal, you'd leave it till later right. But no he decided he'd collect the bale on the way back to the field sure he'd collect it with just the right spike and keep coming without unhooking the trailer. As he drove along the side of the verge the bank collapsed and tractor and trailer went straight into the ditch.

The trailer had already been recovered when the picture was taken.

The operator of the tractor is reminded regularly that he is probably the only person in the history of farming to loose a tractor, trailer and a bale on the way back to a field and picture sent to him anytime he needs to be reminded of silly choices.

You have the same tractor as myself, do you ever plan on moving on the 390T ?

49801 wrote: »
    Steel grating / walkway. Beams required but straight forward and save to walk on

Ya the likes of that would be perfect. Would be easy enough run a few girders across the length of it to support them. I wonder where it could be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya the likes of that would be perfect. Would be easy enough run a few girders across the length of it to support them. I wonder where it could be got.

Heaton Buckley Limerick have them;
    http://www.heitonsteel.ie/products/walkway

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Be a few pound now... but a lifetime job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

49801 wrote: »
    Be a few pound now... but a lifetime job!

Looks an expensive job...

Be cheaper to just put a galvanise roof on it would it?

josephsoap wrote: »
    You have the same tractor as myself, do you ever plan on moving on the 390T ?

There is too many old tractors with high hours here. I'd like something more modern eventually, but I think the 390T will be here for a long time. I'll probably sell the 698T and 365.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

What is the end use of the water?

A roof will help stop the water turning green,keep out wind blown debris and wildlife, as well as keeping swimmers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Set 3" tubing and tec screw secondhand cladding to the tubing.

What is the end use of the water?

A roof will help stop the water turning green,keep out wind blown debris and wildlife, as well as keeping swimmers out.

Maybe it will be good enough. Its a job we are doing for a fella, not my own. It's right beside the road and the top of the tank is below the level of it so it's dangerous enough. It's just a storage tank for watering cattle.

514706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

It's right beside the road and the top of the tank is below the level of it so it's dangerous enough .. and 9 ft deep!.

There you have it, the sorta destination I would have made a sunday out of investigating as a kid, and thankfully nothing happened.

You need to provide a proper job, I would say secure roof, factory style, you want to keep vermin out too. then some sort of access in case maintenance needed, that might mean galvanized platform just inside - perhaps safety ladder down into water.. Sounds like over doing it, but we all know how slatted tanks were as safe as houses.... until access is needed.

Where does the overflow go to?
    How do you access it it empty it - can this be done quickly?

Steel checker plate is what I'd do it with. Although, not matter what you do, you'll need to have some central supports for whatever covering you're using. In that case could you not shutter a central column and span it with 3m pre-stressed lintels and then cover with the slats of your choice with a manhole to get a pipe in to empty it if required.

It's the sort of thing I'd prefer to do with a solid enclosure. But you're not the one pay the bill.

He's after ordering new precast slabs from McGraths for it. It's probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

He's after ordering new precast slabs from McGraths for it. It's probably the best option.

Expensive but a lifetime job. If its gravity filled even with the slabs of is cheap on the whole compared to well,pump,esb connections ongoing maintenance.

Grueller wrote: »
    Expensive but a lifetime job. If its gravity filled even with the slabs of is cheap on the whole compared to well,pump,esb connections ongoing maintenance.

Ya it's gravity filled alright. Just a lot of people drawing off the same inch pipe and he's at the top of the hill, he has no water then in weather like this. Tank is standing about 5.5k. 12" walls and floor with a double row of 12mm mesh. It's nearly at the highest point on the farm so will be able to supply all the drinkers from a gravity flow aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Myself and the uncle sandblasted and painted the chassis of the 135 today.

49957126247_90916e4916.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49956840201_6465dd8d6e.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49956841051_f0afc42dbe.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49957124552_4aa4832a66.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49956839326_3446819ed1.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49957123147_ab0a20dbd5.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49957123142_8cebf3c11e.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49956338248_58a00fc7e4.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49956836716_9ebe2a7e2a.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr
    49957119687_7c498ea1cb.jpg135 blast and paint by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Took this yesterday and thought ye would appreciate the uncles workbench

49956910538_4966babfe0.jpgreceived_668389810682554 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

Advertisement