Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Took this yesterday and thought ye would appreciate the uncles workbench

49956910538_4966babfe0.jpgreceived_668389810682554 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

That's tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Took this yesterday and thought ye would appreciate the uncles workbench

49956910538_4966babfe0.jpgreceived_668389810682554 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr

I see he has some of his holiday snaps hanging on the wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

18-CF7397-DEEE-4-C62-9363-11-B5-FA6-B53-B0.jpg

8-D76-E419-324-F-4-B6-E-B114-4-FEC93-AC2-D80.jpg

Rough!

That yellow plastic is an old cows tag instead of a plastic insert!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

49959716223_ee59b0ed1a_c.jpgIMG_20200601_152317 by Emaherx, on Flickr

Poly tunnel taking shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are those trees as close to that house as they appear from the photo?

Tunnel taking shape well.

• Advertisement

Are those trees as close to that house as they appear from the photo?

Tunnel taking shape well.

Maybe not just as close, but pretty much.
    It's actually not a house but the primary School.

What are you for growing?

For me a few veg, but herself has bigger ideas as a nursery for flowers for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

emaherx wrote: »
    Maybe not just as close, but pretty much.
    It's actually not a house but the primary School.

Must be like a prison in there.

mayota wrote: »
    Must be like a prison in there.

Not many inmates at the moment :D

Well the whole school is not covered by trees like that, it's just one corner, I think it's prefabricated building that was dropped in after the trees were established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Pod123

Looking for advice. I want to bury an electric cable from one side of the drive to the other. I enquired about the bullet mole but no hire shop has one in galway.
    I was thinking of digging a trench on either side of the drive and drive a crowbar through the bank. It’s approximately 6 mts in width so about 4 crow bars would do.
    I would sleeve one to the other using a galvanise socket.
    Has any one tried something similar and worked.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

Pod123 wrote: »
    Looking for advice. I want to bury an electric cable from one side of the drive to the other. I enquired about the bullet mole but no hire shop has one in galway.
    I was thinking of digging a trench on either side of the drive and drive a crowbar through the bank. It’s approximately 6 mts in width so about 4 crow bars would do.
    Thanks in advance.

Not a hope of driving it. There's a lad on donedeal that will come out with an air compressor and attachment that will gradually hammer between two ditches and you can pull the cable through afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

Thanks in advance.

What do you intend to drive it with? Have done it in the past inch and a half galvanised heavy gauge tubing. Drive it with a 12 track machine. Under public roads and all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Thanks in advance.

Rather you than me but as with most thing's it could be done with ingenuity and ignorance in equal measure. An elderly neighbor of mine spend years working on the sites in England before returning to become a publican.

His speciality was what you have suggested, he'd dig a long trench parallel to the road on one side and a smaller hole on the opposing side. A crush pole or similar with a point welded to it would then be driven across under the obstacle with a sledge. It was hardship on an industrial scale but he could keep it dead level when driving it and mark the spot it would emerge on the other side before starting. I wouldn't manage it from one end of the year to the other but he's still going strong at 80 odd years old so it didn't do him much harm. Best of luck and be sure to let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Thanks in advance.

Won't work. Pm me and I'll get you someone to mole it if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have old tyres on trailer looks like 8 25 20. Would rubber duck excavator tyres come in this size or are the 8 25 20 tyres hard got. Trailer is used for just general use, holding fert, drawing fert etc

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Omallep2

Aravo wrote: »
    Have old tyres on trailer looks like 8 25 20. Would rubber duck excavator tyres come in this size or are the 8 25 20 tyres hard got. Trailer is used for just general use, holding fert, drawing fert etc
    I put rubber duck tyres to replace 8.25r20. Fitted axle fine but as they were new the outside diameter was larger. Great job as 16ply if you have the clearance.

Omallep2 wrote: »
    I put rubber duck tyres to replace 8.25r20. Fitted axle fine but as they were new the outside diameter was larger. Great job as 16ply if you have the clearance.

Last year I saw a similar trailer with rubber duck tyres but it was tight on clearance. These were used tyres that I saw. Looked a great job, better able for weight. The tyres on the trailer must be over 40yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    It starts with catching calves with a quad and ends up like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxl67R4-j9c

Fnck. That.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    It starts with catching calves with a quad and ends up like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxl67R4-j9c

The Top Gear of catching bulls! :pac:

There was another one about a month ago. I think ABC made it, of an Aboriginal family of ranch owners catching bulls in the bush.
    The whole thing was remarkable in that they're in the minority being Aboriginal Australian and owning a ranch. Their father or grandfather I think sold stock or something and put the money on a horse and won and gambled again on a horse in Gold Cup and won again and bought the farm.
    They take in disadvantaged aboriginal kids and train them in how to work on a cattle ranch and change their life around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Thanks Guys. Just spent the last hour and a half watching cattle mustering videos in Aussie.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Omallep2 wrote: »

Anyone know where to get 8 25 20 used rubber duck tyres. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any idea of readymix price per m3, west of Ireland area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

MfMan wrote: »
    Any idea of readymix price per m3, west of Ireland area?

E96 delivered to killala the last time i checked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

E96 delivered to killala the last time i checked

Thanks; I forgot to ask, what's a normal load contain generally, c. 7m3 is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

MfMan wrote: »
    Thanks; I forgot to ask, what's a normal load contain generally, c. 7m3 is it?

8m3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Thanks Guys. Just spent the last hour and a half watching cattle mustering videos in Aussie.
    You're welcome. I still reckon that the video that you posted a few years ago from the Azores shows the ultimate in cattle handling skills especially considering that they are super aggressive. I spent many hours watching those videos and not a raised voice was to be heard. I often wonder how the young lad fared after the calf charged into the group and hit him below the waist. I wonder did he go back to help the following year.

Advertisement