Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Figerty wrote: »
    Wet day job,.. No stand leg for the Haybob.
    Aldi wheel barrow wheel about €10.
    30mm Gavanise blue band pipe. Cut at the correct angle to make the wheel roughly on centre.
    Pin for an arm made the axle. Clip to hold it in.

Welded a bolt on the top to steer with spanner if needs be.. but it works fine without it.

Can you push the haybob into a corner of a shed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Figerty

timple23 wrote: »
    Can you push the haybob into a corner of a shed now?

Yep. Can steer it like a trike,, with bad steering , but yes. I can.
    Very easy to push on concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I object to this!! this is not labour saving and definitely not guntering ...............

spotted a cattle box recently with a 7 up bottle covering the bearings where the cap had gone missing and he was moving too fast for me to get a picture..........................................................that is proper guntering..................

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Bar using a sledge is there any other way of crimping/flattening blue band tubing. Christ it’s solid stuff. Hand about to fall off from the belting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Bar using a sledge is there any other way of crimping/flattening blue band tubing. Christ it’s solid stuff. Hand about to fall off from the belting.

If not too long I used the vice to crimp it

Don't crimp it,, cut it and grind it,, then weld it. Crimping is ugly..
    Or get a notcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, looks like a fork-lift one, turned upside down.
    The back wheels would have been either side of that narrower bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Don't crimp it,, cut it and grind it,, then weld it. Crimping is ugly..
    Or get a notcher.

+1 on the notcher but not worth buying if only a one off job. If you’ve a chop saw it’s very easy notch them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Cavanjack wrote: »
    +1 on the notcher but not worth buying if only a one off job. If you’ve a chop saw it’s very easy notch them though.

I am making a feeding barrier gate for a shed i done up. There is a good bit of crimping to be done. Would you mind explaining how to go about notching the pipes?

I am making a feeding barrier gate for a shed i done up. There is a good bit of crimping to be done. Would you mind explaining how to go about notching the pipes?

https://toolsidee.co.uk/product/hbm-pipe-pipe-notch-P3427.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk4-k2raz6wIVyIBQBh3vrA23EAQYASABEgKEafD_BwE

Cheap one using holesaws. These work very well.
    If it's a 90 degree joint, cut at 45 on both side of centre line and a littl tidying with the grinder.

Blue band is very heavy for a pipe (shears) notcher. A cheap one won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

You just cut an angle off two edges of the end of the pipe. I’ll look for a video on YouTube and send the link. If I can’t find one I’ll pm you a picture

https://www.google.ie/search?q=notching+tube+with+a+grinder&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ie&client=safari#kpvalbx=_zyZEX8CJOaWf1fAPodif8AY49

This is one way but he is making a big job of it

https://youtu.be/CZ8nBKFdfNk
    This with the chop saw is a better method and if using a grinder you are better do it this way too. Much quicker

Some guntering.
    Have welded up and repaired the king pins on the steering of the Ford 4000.
    I have also repaired the front axis pivot shafts and bushes.
    Welded up first, flapper well to grind back slowly and use the new bushes to size it.
    It's like new now.
    Bushes, and thrust bearing on both sides replaced now.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=524172&d=1598305597

524173.jpg

524174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

AF1QipPD3ucTqg-5As_qeme65lDkong2bd_JeorMjvxF

Why I hate working on Deere's! Had to make this "spanner" to remove the starter motor on a 3650 last night!

524461.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

I turned a very battered old IBC into a relatively square meal bin today.

50253516458_71db7b62a7_c.jpgIMG_20200821_151720 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

50324258772_574d93fc01_c.jpgIMG_20200909_172316 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

50323412998_ea5a47fa23_c.jpgIMG_20200909_172331 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

emaherx wrote: »
    I turned a very battered old IBC into a relatively square meal bin today.

50253516458_71db7b62a7_c.jpgIMG_20200821_151720 by Farmer Ed's Shed, on Flickr

Nice job. Stick a 3x2 frame on the underside of the ply lid. Will stop it twisting over time. It's the end of plastic bags for emherx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nice job. Stick a 3x2 frame on the underside of the ply lid. Will stop it twisting over time. It's the end of plastic bags for emherx

I might just do that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Very good. We have 2 ibr side by side in the calving shed, a full sheet of plywood across the top, used as a makeshift bench. With your design, they could easily double as storage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I definitely may do similar. Was getting away with ton bags till I went to move half full one from the shed of the few late born calves in June, lifted it and meal flowing out the arse of it, and a huge rat wobbled away from it, too fat to even bother running ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Timmaay wrote: »
    I definitely may do similar. Was getting away with ton bags till I went to move half full one from the shed of the few late born calves in June, lifted it and meal flowing out the arse of it, and a huge rat wobbled away from it, too fat to even bother running ha.

IBR plastic won't keep out rats, they can chew through tougher than that. I have seen them to chew half way through a shed teak door (boiler house) where a bag of meal was temporarily left overnight.

Timmaay wrote: »

At least you knew the nuts were good... Would you get 3.60/kg for the rat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I accidentally made an IBC fountain one day back in 2018 during the drought. I had about 20 ft of 1" pipe on the outlet valve that I pushed onto a philmac gate valve. Put it filling and forgot about it. Came back after 45mins and a jet of water was shooting 30 ft into the air from the vent on the filler cap. It had swelled out like a balloon pushing the cage out before it. Here's a pic soon after I turned off the water. The swelling had subsided somewhat but it was some sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭older by the day

At least you knew the nuts were good... Would you get 3.60/kg for the rat?

I used to keep nuts in my jeep and I hopped in one night, driving out the yard I heard rustling beside me . I taught how did the cat come in. I turned on the light and the biggest fffuing rat with a tail 2foot long sitting in the passenger seat beside me, !aaaaaH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Looking to put in a crossing over a drain about 4ft - Corripipe or concrete..Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Looking to put in a crossing over a drain about 4ft - Corripipe or concrete..Any suggestions?

We've always used concrete pipe here. Is it 4ft deep or wide? What will be crossing it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

blue5000 wrote: »
    We've always used concrete pipe here. Is it 4ft deep or wide? What will be crossing it?

Probably both - both 4ft wide and deep---Not much goes through that drain but want a lifetime job - What will be crossing it? - Probably sheep twice or three times a year and a few cattle the same...would not be used regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

How much water flowing in the drain? this will determine the size of pipe required. Twin wall is way easier to put in, but is in 6m lengths, so how big a crossing do you need? four concrete pipes may be cheaper, but it depends on your requirements...................................

• Advertisement

stock> wrote: »
    How much water flowing in the drain? this will determine the size of pipe required. Twin wall is way easier to put in, but is in 6m lengths, so how big a crossing do you need? four concrete pipes may be cheaper, but it depends on your requirements...................................

I put in Corrigated pipe a few years ago.. you litterly kick it into the drain.
    Gravel on top etc. and it was grand.

Advertisement