Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

stock> wrote: »
    How much water flowing in the drain? this will determine the size of pipe required. Twin wall is way easier to put in, but is in 6m lengths, so how big a crossing do you need? four concrete pipes may be cheaper, but it depends on your requirements...................................

there would never be more than a foot or two of water in the drain

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Any tips on welding vertically? God, it ain't easy.
    Bear in mind that this was welded from the roof of the tractor while holding the welding mask in one hand as head grip broke off.
    The right weld was done on the flat beforehand. I could only weld for about 10mm then the weld would get too hot and fall to the ground.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bear in mind that this was welded from the roof of the tractor while holding the welding mask in one hand as head grip broke off.
    The right weld was done on the flat beforehand. I could only weld for about 10mm then the weld would get too hot and fall to the ground.

I think you're supposed to weld from the bottom to the top but I find it welds tidier to go down, did you start from the bottom.
    I'm only a messer at welding so wouldn't know really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I can't weld down vertical but not too bad up. Turn the welder down to the lowest current for the size of rod. You'll probably have to fine tune to stop rod sticking. I use a weaving motion. Vertical up gives a more penetrating stronger weld. Grinding the area beforehand is a big help.

I can weld away on the flat no problem. Loads of experience at that. Today was the first time trying a vertical weld.
    I did it top down. Maybe bottom up might be better alright.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I can weld away on the flat no problem. Loads of experience at that. Today was the first time trying a vertical weld.

Maybe take down the shed and weld it on the flat is another option. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Maybe take down the shed and weld it on the flat is another option. :)

Would you start at the top or the bottom foxy:confused:?

Patsy if you can imagine a letter C lying on it's back, that is an ok pattern for welding vertically, start at the bottom. If it starts to flow just lift the rod off for a second, but don't move it away from where you stopped welding. With the old type mask when the weld stopped glowing that was when you put the rod back welding again in the same position where you took it off.

Hope this helps.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Same here.
    Add to that stuff your welding on farm is often rusty/painted/galvanised etc which doesn’t help.

Brother is a steel fabricator and makes it look piss easy.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Would you start at the top or the bottom foxy:confused:?

Patsy if you can imagine a letter C lying on it's back, that is an ok pattern for welding vertically, start at the bottom. If it starts to flow just lift the rod off for a second, but don't move it away from where you stopped welding. With the old type mask when the weld stopped glowing that was when you put the rod back welding again in the same position where you took it off.

Hope this helps.

When welding up like that, would the rod be pointing down?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Was always told bottom up when starting out. I'd always weave in U shape when doing vertical run, seems to tidy it up but too slow then it starts to run away on ya. Welder down a bit seems to work better I find. Vertical welding is nearly an art in itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

When welding vertical up you need to drop your amps by about 15% from where you would be were you welding on the flat, so for a 6013 rod you'd be around the 75Amps for a 2.4mm rod and around 90amps for a 3.2mm rod when welding vertical up on steel greater than 4-5mm thick.

Always weld bottom to top, welding from top to bottom there is almost no strength in the weld it is just used as a sealing weld.

Use a slight weave side to side, pausing for a split second on the outside edges to avoid undercut and move quicker when pulling the rod over the centerline of the weld to avoid crowning in the middle.

Electrode angle is important, 5 degree push angle is ideal, so plant the welding rod perpendicular to the joint and then bring your hand down slightly to give that 5 degree push.

Hold a tight arc, keep the tip of the rod about 2mm away for what you are welding, long arcing i.e. holding the tip of the rod further away will only increase your amperage, it's counter intuitave a lot of people think that moving the rod further away from the weld will "cool it" it won't, it'll only make it worse.

That's everything i can think of at the minute, good luck!

When welding up like that, would the rod be pointing down?

Tip slightly up. Tortoise has you sorted I think. Get rid of the paint/rust/zinc first.

That's everything i can think of at the minute, good luck!

That's great advice. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I have an automatic crush gate that’s giving a lot of bother with the 2 gates not closing/locking in place squarely - it’s about 10 years old.

Any tips on adjusting them to get them to close/lock in properly?

The adjusting bars above the gate are held together with lock nuts ....just wondering if you did get the gate adjusted right ....could the weld the bars above to stop any unwanted movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

you have plenty of advice Patsy. Did you weld it from the second side?

you have plenty of advice Patsy. Did you weld it from the second side?

Ya, welded on both sides. I tried a bottom up weld there now with lower amps and its better alright. Welder must be 30 years old and I've no idea of the amp settings. Just marks I put on it as guides for 2.5 and 3.5 rods. Maybe time to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Ya, welded on both sides. I tried a bottom up weld there now with lower amps and its better alright. Welder must be 30 years old and I've no idea of the amp settings. Just marks I put on it as guides for 2.5 and 3.5 rods. Maybe time to get a new one.

I'm sure the welder is fine ;):D

emaherx wrote: »
    I'm sure the welder is fine ;):D
    It fell from the roof to the bonnet of the tractor yesterday. Don't think I'd get away with a fancy inverter type. :D

It fell from the roof to the bonnet of the tractor yesterday. Don't think I'd get away with a fancy inverter type. :D

Or a fancy Tractor with their plastic bonnets :eek:

The inverters are so light you can put a strap on them and put it across your shoulder like a hand man bag.

We want pics of the welding too Patsy. Don't be cheating now and show us some weld you did on the flat on the ground. We're nosey bastards, we want to see the shed, what's in the shed, the weld and the tractor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Any machines in the background, however distant, also need explaining!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Any machines in the background, however distant, also need explaining!

Which will probably be identified by someone by nothing more than a hub nut in the corner of the shot!

I'm long enough posting here to know that all photos should be directed upwards towards the sky. :D

I'm long enough posting here to know that all photos should be directed upwards towards the sky. :D

Put the shed roof in your pic as well

A bit of an improvement. Was getting on grand and the welder died. Only about 5 mins to finish too. Think I burnt something from the fuse board to the socket. Must get it wired right.

526546.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

A bit of an improvement. Was getting on grand and the welder died. Only about 5 mins to finish too. Think I burnt something from the fuse board to the socket. Must get it wired right.

Power still a little high and hand a little shaky.
    Also lacking elbow grease should clean the steel a bit better would give a better weld

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Figerty

526546.jpg

Time to paint that shed!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

dzer2 wrote: »
    Power still a little high and hand a little shaky.
    Also lacking elbow grease should clean the steel a bit better would give a better weld

Tough crowd here tonight, Patsy:D

526546.jpg

What tractor is that in the reflection of the welding clamp? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

emaherx wrote: »
    What tractor is that in the reflection of the welding clamp? :D

How do you find the blue rope? , I've orange rope here, not overly impressed with it.

Advertisement