Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Some of the mad limosins from the west of Ireland would find it a minor inconvenience on their journey to the neighbours field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dharn wrote: »
    Some of the mad limosins from the west of Ireland would find it a minor inconvenience on their journey to the neighbours field

You can hold onto them flying burgers yourself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Ren the boards app has a habit of duping posts. I even uninstalled it myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    For the quad is it

Yeah, hope to use it in anger tomorrow.

Yeah, hope to use it in anger tomorrow.

Nice job. Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

OBFqZg.jpgA true bit of guntering.  Farmer ran out of space for maize filled up old IBC tanks and used them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

OBFqZg.jpgA true bit of guntering.  Farmer ran out of space for maize filled up old IBC tanks and used them

Have heard of lads using big squares before but ibc's is a first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Zr105 wrote: »
    Side of our crush is a little over 4ft high, the head gate is about 6ft now, have had on odd big bullock try to get over the side, if they get it in their head once they'll bloody well try every time...

Had limos here try to cross the head gate, sadly I don't have any of them now. :-)

• Advertisement

td5man wrote: »
    Had limos here try to cross the head gate, sadly I don't have any of them now. :-)

Predominantly limos here and it's a rare enough thing that one try's to jump to be honest, a lot of the time it tends to be bought in ones that do it, the last one that tried to jump tho was a big lump of a Charolais x cow.... She's been around a good while and quiet out but took some notion the last time she was in, she didn't actually get out tho but went to try

Zr105 wrote: »
    Predominantly limos here and it's a rare enough thing that one try's to jump to be honest, a lot of the time it tends to be bought in ones that do it, the last one that tried to jump tho was a big lump of a Charolais x cow.... She's been around a good while and quiet out but took some notion the last time she was in, she didn't actually get out tho but went to try
    A good slap to the head usually deters them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Usually deters people too

Aye sure that's why the wavin is so important :D

A shlap on the head ? When you hear them snorting and foam coming from their mouth, stay away from them :eek:

A shlap on the head ? When you hear them snorting and foam coming from their mouth, stay away from them :eek:

I've a bar that cures that.

I have a few only a shotgun would cure, they will soon be hanging by the back leg thank god, I have them over a year meal feeding, yet 2 of them will show sheer panic if I come close to them bought them from a farmer who said they were very docile !, saw they were in the mart a week previously now I know why they did not sell, were quiet when I collected them,

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Had a length of headlocking left over from a joblot I bought some years ago from Holland and wanted to use on my shed .the piping was too light to use on its own so hoping this will work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

jerdee wrote: »
    Had a length of headlocking left over from a joblot I bought some years ago from Holland and wanted to use on my shed .the piping was too light to use on its own so hoping this will work .

I'm sorry jerdee but that doesnt qualify as guntering at all, far too tasty plasma work there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Milton09 wrote: »
    I'm sorry jerdee but that doesnt qualify as guntering at all, far too tasty plasma work there :)

Indeed... not even a sharp burr to slice yourself on..

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

wait till you see my welding then you ll see burrrrrrrs

jerdee wrote: »
    wait till you see my welding then you ll see burrrrrrrs

Burrrrs or bird sh**?? :D:D

Not a great pic but the stand I built for the new diesel tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is it high enough? Where is the tank on rhe 390?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Plastic tanks are pure ****e.Take the stick out from under the front of the tank and put it under the timber base or leave the tank on the flat. If thats a new tank and it leaks under warranty that stand wont pass. Manufacturers want a full concrete base under their tanks now. First thing they do now if some one makes a claim is send out a technician with a camera. A cousin of mine does this for Kingspan and the number of claims rejected is huge.They wont fit a new or replacement tank unless the base is up to a certain standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Maybe a stupid question - why do you have the 2x3? under the front of the tank? We use a few bits of timber under the end of the tank when it is running out :D

I presume so as dirt, water etc will settle away from the outlet, he should shorten the legs on the other end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yea , those tanks have to be supported along the full length.
    put the 3 by 2 under the front legs. ( only joking but you know what I mean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I presume so as dirt, water etc will settle away from the outlet, he should shorten the legs on the other end
    Ah, you could be right. One never knows how good the quality of diesel we buy in, particularly buying in bulk, irrespective of the location of the outlet pipe on the tank ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭emaherx

Muckit wrote: »
    Is it high enough? Where is the tank on rhe 390?

On top of bonnet. You need the height to fill it.

• Advertisement

Bottom of tank is level with bonnet of tractor

Slant is on it to let dirt fall away from the hose but may change the timber to under the legs

Tank is secondhand so no warranty to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Slant is on it to let dirt fall away from the hose but may change the timber to under the legs

Nice tidy job, and you have rubbish storage underneath :P could always pick up a in line filter and leave it flat?

Nice tidy job, and you have rubbish storage underneath :P could always pick up a in line filter and leave it flat?

Yeah was going to put one on it. It could stay flat then could it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Yeah was going to put one on it. It could stay flat then could it.

Cant see why not, the outlet isnt right at the bottom anyway so the tank will still collect a bit of dirt and water. If you were able to get a see through filter bowl you can aslo see if its collecting water. Dont think water should be much of an issue with plastic and being inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yea but if they're gonna crack, its usually when they're full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You can buy a bunded tank ( tank inside a tank) but these leak too. Tanks indoors fail too so its not the weather that causes the cracking. Certain brands have a propensity for cracking. Google rotational moulding to see how they are made. Steel tank Is the way to go. That said I've 3 plastic tanks here holding oil. Replaced a steel tank over 40yrs old that spent all but 2 yrs outside with a plastic tank. Had a plastic tank for kerosene that failed after 5 yrs. Down my way lads are putting them indoors due to thieving s***bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

I can still see the teagasc manual showing a correctly positioned tank tipped back away from the outlet to allow dirt and water to settle away from the outlet. Annoys me when I see ppl with tank in rented houses tipped the wrong way to get every last drop of water and crap into the file line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah but dirt in an oil boiler is no major drama... It'd make ****e of yr engine ...
    Worse than the cost of a new tank and the oil in it ... What about your well ?(or the EPA coming after you for a fish kill or river clean up ) ... Neighbour up the road lost a full tank of Kero first they knew of the leak was when the couldn't drink the water... Had to get a new supply..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Hi all
    Ive had an idea all year to make a bale spike for a quickie front loader that could also double for lifting bushes for burnig
    Has anyone here made anything similar ?

cjmc wrote: »
    Hi all
    Ive had an idea all year to make a bale spike for a quickie front loader that could also double for lifting bushes for burnig
    Has anyone here made anything similar ?

A normal fork would do that job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A normal fork would do that job

? What do you mean by a normal fork ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

2 prongs on the bottom ?

Hydraulic bale carrier is a great yoke for gathering bushes the one where you take the rollers off and have 2 spikes left ,then you can widen out the spikes to pick up longer stuff, if it is just whitethorns etc a simple frame with 2 fixed spikes is grand ,can be used to feed bales as well

cjmc wrote: »
    ? What do you mean by a normal fork ?

This

Probably, but a frame with 2 bale spikes say 3 ft 6 apart would be better the prongs on that fork are too short

Probably, but a frame with 2 bale spikes say 3 ft 6 apart would be better the prongs on that fork are too short

I feed all my bales with a similar fork and always pushed bushes with that fork as the branches can't get to the bonnet grill when your pushing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I feed all my bales with a similar fork and always pushed bushes with that fork as the branches can't get to the bonnet grill when your pushing

Absolutely..wouldn't use anything else. Made a three spike (two down, one up) for a Quickie years ago when I used to move a lot of straw, could carry three bales at once and used to work well with bushes but useless with anything heavier..

Sure couldn't ya just take out the middle 4 or five tines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Made this this morning. Not pretty, but done the job. Good and long, cause easy to brain yourself with a short driver and a short post, when the bottom edge of the driver catches on the top of the post.

• Advertisement

Sure couldn't ya just take out the middle 4 or five tines

You cant beat a bit of length :D

Advertisement