Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Great idea - although it might be a bit strong for a 4ft gate.
    Cut off one tine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Base price wrote: »
    Cut off one tine?

I did think that - might have to give it a dummy run - plenty of broken tines about the place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Anyone know can you buy gate hangers for H/RSJ iron for the flat side of it, (the longest face), off the shelf.

I know I can buy a hanger with a bolt and drill through RSJ, but would rather not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

timple23 wrote: »
    Anyone know can you buy gate hangers for H/RSJ iron for the flat side of it, (the longest face), off the shelf.

I know I can buy a hanger with a bolt and drill through RSJ, but would rather not.

Like this?

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/RSJ-Hangers-Gate-Bottom/9001714?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyLjXyou17AIVRO3tCh1LGwU2EAQYAiABEgKdQPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

It's the channel face he's after a hanger for.never seen anything myself. Local forge hse might knock up something that would suit.

• Advertisement

For anyone with a railway iron in the ground that never got a gate hung on it,i only discovered these this year.the ones for the rsj don't fit that great and may even be dangerous with a heavy gate on railway iron.

https://iitc.ie/catalogue/agri-hardware/farm-maintenance/gate-and-farm-door-hardware/fieldgate-hardware/railway-type-gate-hanger/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Figerty

ruwithme wrote: »
    For anyone with a railway iron in the ground that never got a gate hung on it,i only discovered these this year.the ones for the rsj don't fit that great and may even be dangerous with a heavy gate on railway iron.

https://iitc.ie/catalogue/agri-hardware/farm-maintenance/gate-and-farm-door-hardware/fieldgate-hardware/railway-type-gate-hanger/

Getting harder to find..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Figerty wrote: »
    Getting harder to find..

I got them last year in Dan McInerney's in Ennis. Bought a good few of them. ;)

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

You paid well so! Nothing cheap in Dans..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Patsy's lockdown stockpiling list;
    Toilet rolls,
    Flour,
    Eggs,

Guinness,
    OH, and gate-hangers.

• Advertisement

Patsy's lockdown stockpiling list;
    Toilet rolls,
    Flour,
    Eggs,

Guinness,
    OH, and gate-hangers.

Guinness , God you know me so well ...............

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Great idea - although it might be a bit strong for a 4ft gate.

Saw a clever idea on a dairy farm, slip gate out of collection yard, frame up and over gate with roller door track set to a small slope on top. vertical uprights of gate extended and rollers attached. to open gate gate is rolled "uphill" and closes itself when released iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Anyone ever fit a sliding shed door with the running track higher than the roof of the shed?
    What’s the best way to do it?
    Have a shed with a lean to which is only 8ft at the back but want to keep the door 9ft 6 so when the door is open it will be higher than the roof iykwim.

Make L shaped legs to come out and up from existing pillars?? What about bi-fold door ( hinged like swinging gate at one side, hinged in middle, and supported at top on other corner with roller running in track) Only need track the width of door opening and safer than normal swinging door with wind.

Getting harder to find..

I just saw them earlier in Dairygold Raheen Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

Speaking of gate hangers, anyone know where a hanger as below may be got in western parts? Need to hang an older gate with eye hooks onto a round crush post.

https://ibb.co/BNq1y0m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Getting harder to find..

They were out of stock in a lot of places earlier in the year. Seems to be plenty available now

Robbed from facebook...

Robberd from face book part 2

Robbed from face book part 3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Spotted this out and about today;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Ah, that oul poly wire is nearly better than the baler twine.

Most knives won't cut it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

joujoujou wrote: »
    Widely known helical spring washer, used to prevent bolts/nuts from becoming loose.

wsl-xxxx-4.jpg

Well, NASA claims: A locknut of this type is useless for locking

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19900009424/downloads/19900009424.pdf

From AH, I bet you didn't know this thread would have a part 2.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114978908#post114978908

Any tips for cutting a straight line in sheet of steel, clamp a straight edge? (Only have an angle grinder)

Yip - that would be the best - a bit of flat bar so it doesn't impinge on the grinder as you work your way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Any tips for cutting a straight line in sheet of steel, clamp a straight edge? (Only have an angle grinder)

Have clamped on 40x40 angle before works well as long as your working with a nearly full disk.

Nice idea, but I think more travel per stroke would be better and with a load on trailer the main advantage of the jockey wheel is that you can raise the trailer up onto the rear axle and it is a lot easier to push about. So that could be easily resolved.

Plus that looks as if it will block the rear jeep door from opening. As it is hydraulic maybe they should look at its placement in order to create a free space for side hinged back door access which is an issue for all jockey wheels. That way they would really have a USP.

Maybe just gear up the existing jockey wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Anyone ever fix a front axle in a case 895 2wd? It’s cracked around the steering ram in two places, it’s not affecting the downward pressure the axle takes but the steering has nothing to pivot against now....
    It’s a friends tractor so I will try and get pictures later today. Or if anyone has an 895 that could post up pictures of where the ram sits into the axle that would be great.
    TIA

I lost the rachet spanner, short extension bar and 19mm socket from my Teng Tools socket set. I have it over 30 years as it used to be my Dad's. Gutted I am. I think I left it on the bonnet of the tractor when I changed the wheel with a puncture.
    I found the little tub of copper grease about 1/2 mile from the house and I know i used it with the rachet, Asked all me neighbour farmers and none seen it. I still have the plastic case it came in and never even lost a socket to date. Checked and double checked everywhere.

Guess what I found? :D Fecking delighted. Embarrassed to say where I found it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Guess what I found? :D Fecking delighted. Embarrassed to say where I found it.

In the neighbours wife knicker drawer????

Advertisement