Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Reminds me of every father and son doing any job together. Jayus what is he fecking complaining about now

So true. Just looked at that again comments are gas, who's driving the tractor, they're not even the height of the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Lads I'm thinking of putting on a ram on my front loader for the locking pins I had a loader years ago made by a crowd called kiverco from NI .. have any of ye done this wat size ram etc to get

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Best washers around.

54-B0828-A-80-A5-4-BC9-A91-A-79681-DD19-EC9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

Reminds me of every father and son doing any job together. Jayus what is he fecking complaining about now

Except he is alone. No one on the tractor! Just has it in low gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Very interesting youtube channel, testing tools amongst other things.

Have a pto driven power washer with a hairline crack in the housing, weeping a drop of oil. Could I put jb weld over it? Or is there anything more suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

timple23 wrote: »
    Have a pto driven power washer with a hairline crack in the housing, weeping a drop of oil. Could I put jb weld over it? Or is there anything more suitable?

I successfully repaired a cracked cast aluminum sump on a car once with isopon (2 part).

I drained the oil and cleaned it spotlessly inside and out before repairing, but it never leaked again.

A "non gunterer" would have replaced it or got someone to weld it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

blackbox wrote: »
    I successfully repaired a cracked cast aluminum sump on a car once with isopon (2 part).

I drained the oil and cleaned it spotlessly inside and out before repairing, but it never leaked again.

A "non gunterer" would have replaced it or got someone to weld it.

What is isopon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A bit of chemical metal worth a try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Forcefield mx6s fence looks like a few components shorted out. Do any of you lads know do they do resonable repairs or do I need to dust off the soldering iron

• Registered Users Posts: 19,550 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

893bet wrote: »
    Best washers around.

54-B0828-A-80-A5-4-BC9-A91-A-79681-DD19-EC9.jpg

Blades look like they were never used though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Possibly a gunterer's worst nightmare ? When doing a few jobs in a neighbour's farm yard as his cattle are being housed in a couple of days, the power goes and i say to the brother "hold on I'll check the trip switches in the fuse box" and you encounter a nest of these little b@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

NcdJd wrote: »
    Possibly a gunterer's worst nightmare ? When doing a few jobs in a neighbour's farm yard as his cattle are being housed in a couple of days, the power goes and i say to the brother "hold on I'll check the trip switches in the fuse box" and you encounter a nest of these little b@stards.

That's what happens when you looking for trip switches in a fuse box. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

https://youtu.be/MMssklzoBAk

Came across this little nugget this evening.

I've a bag of them here. I tend to blow them when I go welding. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I've a bag of them here. I tend to blow them when I go welding. :D

Ha my brother's welder was the culprit. The last job of the day was to find and replace one of the spikes on his loader for the bales. He blew about 3 and then I said we'll have to switch to another outlet as there was only one of them long fuses left and his electric fence is running off that. He reduced the voltage on the welder which made a difference in the end. ( i haven't the foggiest about welding except to look away from the light. )

He's bringing the jenny next time.

Found thin foil in one of them when I unscrewed it!

We've persuaded him to get an electrician in in the summer to replace it and rewire to the sheds etc.. make life a bit easier for him. He's one of these lads who loves the hardship!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A bit of tin foil and your sorted :rolleyes:

Base price wrote: »
    A bit of tin foil and your sorted :rolleyes:

I don't know these things at all. All I went up to do was feed some of the horses and scavenge about the sheds for box steel and sheets of galvanise. Messed up my mojo them yokes did.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »

I'll never make a gunterer. Although I did see a fantastic bit of guntering done by a fella that used to work for him. It was a broken bath with the stopper and surround on it. It was bolted underneath with the aid of a T-Hinge. I cut off the hinge for the bath he's using for the cattle going into the shed so done that in memory of the original gunterer. Gone but not forgotten :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't know these things at all. All I went up to do was feed some of the horses and scavenge about the sheds for box steel and sheets of galvanise. Messed up my mojo them yokes did.
    You're better off and safer not knowing. You did the correct thing advising your neighbour to get an electrician in to sort it out.
    I had a stand off with OH one day in the main yard about 12 years ago. He was welding something using his ancient oil cooled Bantam welder that had a round three pin plug. There was only one round pin socket in the old dairy and it was used for that welder. The old type fuse blew and when he took it out the bit of wire that he used to connect the points had melted and he went looking for another bit of light wire to replace it. I took a hammer to the fuse and smashed it to bits - he was very annoyed but he got over it. We got an electrician in to install a proper fuse but welder still runs on it's original three pin plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,550 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Base price wrote: »
    You're better off and safer not knowing. You did the correct thing advising your neighbour to get an electrician in to sort it out.
    I had a stand off with OH one day in the main yard about 12 years ago. He was welding something using his ancient oil cooled Bantam welder that had a round three pin plug. There was only one round pin socket in the old dairy and it was used for that welder. The old type fuse blew and when he took it out the bit of wire that he used to connect the points had melted and he went looking for another bit of light wire to replace it. I took a hammer to the fuse and smashed it to bits - he was very annoyed but he got over it. We got an electrician in to install a proper fuse but welder still runs on it's original three pin plug.

100% on the hammer. Only solution for that messing. I know it's tempting to use it as an exception but then the exception becomes the rule and it is like that forever until it hurts someone.

127871167_3241942665915276_2597982269627925796_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=9CuXcXo_lCMAX_nUAK7&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=21cc42c6720709e6ae5d70c374f2960a&oe=5FE97970

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

ABlur wrote: »

He's not taking it good, an awful lot of time wasters ringing him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Figerty

emaherx wrote: »

Ah.. Silver paper of a goldflake box was a good work around!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

He's not taking it good, an awful lot of time wasters ringing him :D

I was trying to ring him all night. So was it you hogging the line. :)

Dead chuffed with myself. Managed to open a large nut on the back of the tractor that hasn't been opened since 1977. Soaked with wd40 yesterday. Kettle of water today and once it moved a bit, I tightened it a little in the opposite direction. Back and forth then with plenty wd40 and off it came. Used heavy duty socket and long pipe.
    I was sure I'd have to cut it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dead chuffed with myself. Managed to open a large nut on the back of the tractor that hasn't been opened since 1977. Soaked with wd40 yesterday. Kettle of water today and once it moved a bit, I tightened it a little in the opposite direction. Back and forth then with plenty wd40 and off it came. Used heavy duty socket and long pipe.
    I was sure I'd have to cut it off.

I'd say pure ignorance helped too :D

Advertisement