Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

536528.jpg
    Last job of the year finished today. 11,000 gallon water tank part funded through the burren life programme and filling off the roof of the shed.

Looks like there wasnt much room to stand and strike the shuttering so close to the sheeting nextdoor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

300mm is 1ft?? seems massively overengineered imo. hardly need for two rows of steel as no pressure from outside inwards. Prob dept spec not having a go at you.

Might be because of ice? Years ago used always be a bit of a log left floating in tanks to stop ice cracking the walls.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

300mm is 1ft?? seems massively overengineered imo. hardly need for two rows of steel as no pressure from outside inwards. Prob dept spec not having a go at you.

You'd probably save €500 and its funded at 50% so €250 to go with 10" Walls and single row of steel. I don't really want to get a call in a few years that there is a crack in the tank and its leaking either, it would probably be grand but better to be sure of it.

K.G. wrote: »
    Looks like there wasnt much room to stand and strike the shuttering so close to the sheeting nextdoor

No, about 18" from the shed when the forms were up. Wasn't too bad to get them in either though.

What sort of filtration system is going on it to ensure the pipework don't get blocked?
    That's my bit done with it now but any I have seen don't have any, most would have their outlet up 6" from the floor level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You'd probably save €500 and its funded at 50% so €250 to go with 10" Walls and single row of steel. I don't really want to get a call in a few years that there is a crack in the tank and its leaking either, it would probably be grand but better to be sure of it.

100%. The actual concrete is the cheap part of a job. Only time it would make a real difference might be if it meant going from 1 load to 2 loads or 2 to 3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Don't really want to call this guntering as you don't gunter electrics. Had a few led floodlights that had blown and rather than replacing the full units I got some led chips and used them instead.
    Done this a few times now with chips from various sources. Supposedly the UK sourced chips have passed full QC, where as those on ebay coming from China may have not. Tbh I've not seen much difference in quality.

Strip out old led and driver and replace with new COB LED (circuit on board, so no driver required) thermal paste on back for heat dissipation, route wiring straight through into the chip.

Some more...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had LED lights myself that blew.
    I found out after the reason they blew was because there were incandescent lights on the same switch. Apparently led's only like led's on their power line.

I had LED lights myself that blew.
    I found out after the reason they blew was because there were incandescent lights on the same switch. Apparently led's only like led's on their power line.

All leds on same switch or were on their own switch. There is a bank of fluorescent tubes in another switch, but my guess /suspicion is they didn't like the small generator output that was owing them. Although to be fair that light is probably up for the guts of 10 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Had a bullock decide he didn't want to stay in the shed during the summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

You had almost show jumper quailty there rushvalley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

2 rows of steel are very beneficial for shrinkage crack control. Vital in a water tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

cjpm wrote: »
    2 rows of steel are very beneficial for shrinkage crack control. Vital in a water tank

steel is used where concrete will be in tension, was just pointing out the spec of grant aided building is way over the top (imho)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

ruwithme wrote: »
    You had almost show jumper quailty there rushvalley

Looks like "four faults" to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Does this count. No waste here. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Guaranteed to be the most played with toy in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Most definitely...................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Latest DIY project. Wardrobes in the daughters bedroom. 3 sheets of melamine covered mdf, 2 sheets of plain mdf, 70 ft of 20 x 15mm slip, a can of sherwin Williams primer and a can of PC satin coloured lacquer. All came to €290. Hinges and handles from ebay for another €32 so €322 and all done before calving starts.

Grueller wrote: »
    Latest DIY project. Wardrobes in the daughters bedroom. 3 sheets of melamine covered mdf, 2 sheets of plain mdf, 70 ft of 20 x 15mm slip, a can of sherwin Williams primer and a can of PC satin coloured lacquer. All came to €290. Hinges and handles from ebay for another €32 so €322 and all done before calving starts.

Very tidy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Excellent job and finish.
    Would you have any more pictures or hints as I have a similar space here needing a wardrobe and have got prices of 1000 for it.

Sami23 wrote: »
    Excellent job and finish.
    Would you have any more pictures or hints as I have a similar space here needing a wardrobe and have got prices of 1000 for it.

To be honest Sami I have access to a panel saw in a friends shed to cut out the carcasses. This is the easy part. I cut the doors there too.

The only advice I have is when finishing MDF use at least two coats of primer. I sprayed the doors, plinth, cornice and end panel. Finishing the edges of MDF do not kill yourself sanding it first. Ensure all saw mark's are sanded out but 120 grit is enough. Spray a coat of primer,then sand to 180 grit, prime again and sand to 180 again. That should leave a good base for your top coats. I sprayed the back once and the fronts twice sanding to 240 between coats.

Make sure that all hinges are bored etc before spraying to reduce scratches when fitting. Any other questions shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

How is that guntering as you didn't use second hand stuff a chainsaw or an axe?..........................................
    to a poor excuse of a nailbender like me that is proper carpentry..................

stock> wrote: »
    How is that guntering as you didn't use second hand stuff a chainsaw or an axe?..........................................
    to a poor excuse of a nailbender like me that is proper carpentry..................

Plain mdf is f*ck all ahead of second hand lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Figerty

stock> wrote: »

No sledgehammer or welder either..
    Get out of here.. that's proper work not guntering.

Fixed the idler wheel on the minidigger..
    I have access to lathe at work.

To qualify for guntering a sledge was involved....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Figerty wrote: »
    Fixed the idler wheel on the minidigger..
    I have access to lathe at work.

To qualify for guntering a sledge was involved....

Just having it in the photo doesn’t count :D

emaherx wrote: »
    Just having it in the photo doesn’t count :D

It was used,, and a thing of beauty!

Bearing on the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

This is probably not even up to guntering standards. I give you bluntering. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

NcdJd wrote: »
    This is probably not even up to guntering standards. I give you bluntering. :D

Thats butchery. You split the post with that coach bolt. tut tut tut.....

Advertisement