Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dharn wrote: »
    You cant beat a bit of length :D

Its the width I'm told :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Shes being diplomatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Made this this morning. Not pretty, but done the job. Good and long, cause easy to brain yourself with a short driver and a short post, when the bottom edge of the driver catches on the top of the post.

Think they fired something at Thatcher out of that yoke in the 80's :D

The grips are fierce uncomfortable looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Made this this morning. Not pretty, but done the job. .

At first l thought it was a homemade incendiary device to blow up the trooper! :D But now I realise tis a post driver! Nicely made btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its the width I'm told :D

Na it's how u use it and more importantly how often😎😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Made this this morning. Not pretty, but done the job. Good and long, cause easy to brain yourself with a short driver and a short post, when the bottom edge of the driver catches on the top of the post.

Your jeep looks familiar I've seen it around:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

agriman27 wrote: »
    Your jeep looks familiar I've seen it around:pac:

Ha! Don't be shy, got loads of fencing on tomorrow :D

I use the front loader to drive stakes, much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I'm glad I' not from where you're from ;)

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    I'm glad I' not from where you're from ;)

They breed us tall up here.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

They breed us tall up here.....;)

I was thinking more of your location in the user detail panel on the left hand side :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I feed all my bales with a similar fork and always pushed bushes with that fork as the branches can't get to the bonnet grill when your pushing

My idea was a frame the width of the tractor with ( prob)5 tines at the bottom and a longer one centered and height to suit the centre of the bale
    Id only be handling 1 bale at a time so i could remove the centre and outer bottom tines if need be
    I could remove the long centre bale spike to use as light gauge forks for pallets/ barrels and for pushing bushes
    The closed back to protect the grill is good but maybe a strong steel meah for visibility
    Now what size / gauge of steel should be thinking of and are the brackets dear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

cjmc wrote: »
    My idea was a frame the width of the tractor with ( prob)5 tines at the bottom and a longer one centered and height to suit the centre of the bale
    Id only be handling 1 bale at a time so i could remove the centre and outer bottom tines if need be
    I could remove the long centre bale spike to use as light gauge forks for pallets/ barrels and for pushing bushes
    The closed back to protect the grill is good but maybe a strong steel meah for visibility
    Now what size / gauge of steel should be thinking of and are the brackets dear ?

Euro brackets can be got round the €80 ish mark, but could be up to €100 depending where you get them,

As for steel bare minimum would be say 80*80*6 for the time beam, but if you could go heavier I would, and definitly put in tine bushings, just drilling 2 holes you'll never keep the tines tight..

Personally I wouldn't be mad for taking times in and out as you'll never keep the buggers tight in it if you do. To be honest If your only gona put 5 tines in a fork the width of tractor I wouldn't be to worried about taking them out anyway, you'll have no problem getting them into bales, and if you use 32"tines they'll be long enough even for chopped bales.

We've just 2*42" tines here on the fork and I hate opening silage bales on it as the centre falls through half the time whilst you r cutting the net off and ends up caught in the bale. On the other hand place i work in has a fork the bare width of the loader with 5*32"tines and it's no bother picking up bales and easier to break up bales and spread them out with it

Zr105 wrote: »
    Euro brackets can be got round the €80 ish mark, but could be up to €100 depending where you get them,

As for steel bare minimum would be say 80*80*6 for the time beam, but if you could go heavier I would, and definitly put in tine bushings, just drilling 2 holes you'll never keep the tines tight..

Personally I wouldn't be mad for taking times in and out as you'll never keep the buggers tight in it if you do. To be honest If your only gona put 5 tines in a fork the width of tractor I wouldn't be to worried about taking them out anyway, you'll have no problem getting them into bales, and if you use 32"tines they'll be long enough even for chopped bales.

We've just 2*42" tines here on the fork and I hate opening silage bales on it as the centre falls through half the time whilst you r cutting the net off and ends up caught in the bale. On the other hand place i work in has a fork the bare width of the loader with 5*32"tines and it's no bother picking up bales and easier to break up bales and spread them out with it

Yeah think your right about puting tines in and out and thanks for trlling me about works fork
    What is 80'80'6 steel , 3" box ? And by go heavier is that size or gauge ?

80 millimeter square box , with a 6 millimeter thick wall. If you can get 100mm square with a 10 or 12 mm wall, would be ideal.

Yeah think your right about puting tines in and out and thanks for trlling me about works fork
    What is 80'80'6 steel , 3" box ? And by go heavier is that size or gauge ?

Yeah 80*80*6 would be close to 3inch, it'd be the modern equivalent, 3in would be closer to 75mm but it's either 70 or 80mm now!

As nec says 100*100 with 10mm would be better, But the 80 should be fine. I suppose it depends what sort of loader/power you have behind it and what sort of weight your lifting aswell!

, But the 80 should be fine. I suppose it depends what sort of loader/power you have behind it and what sort of weight your lifting aswell![/quote]

Old case 885xl , lifting 1 bale and bushes most listly the bulk of the work
    I thought 100 mm might be heavy but maybe not. It'd be lighter than the bucket i use

, But the 80 should be fine. I suppose it depends what sort of loader/power you have behind it and what sort of weight your lifting aswell!

Old case 885xl , lifting 1 bale and bushes most listly the bulk of the work
    I thought 100 mm might be heavy but maybe not. It'd be lighter than the bucket i use[/quote]
    I'd go as heavy as you can really, even heavier walled 80*80 would be no harm really

I'd go as heavy as you can really, even heavier walled 80*80 would be no harm really[/quote]
    Heavier guage (10 mm) Would be handier welded too i magine

• Advertisement

I'd go as heavy as you can really, even heavier walled 80*80 would be no harm really
    Heavier guage (10 mm) Would be handier welded too i magine[/quote]

Yeah it would as there is more steel to bite into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Thinking about throwing together a trailed milk tank for feeding calves, pull it behind the quad. Don't think anyone makes one yet. Prob buy one of those atv trailer kits. There bout €180 and locate a tank to put on top of it. Enjoy welding a lot so looking forward to it.

Any tips at all or advise regarding quad trailers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

something like this
    made already

http://www.donedeal.ie/feedingequipment-for-sale/calf-feeder/4461540

delaney001 wrote: »
    Thinking about throwing together a trailed milk tank for feeding calves, pull it behind the quad. Don't think anyone makes one yet. Prob buy one of those atv trailer kits. There bout €180 and locate a tank to put on top of it. Enjoy welding a lot so looking forward to it.

Any tips at all or advise regarding quad trailers?

GY A1 wrote: »

I like the lick bucket holder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

GY A1 wrote: »

It's actually only the transport I want. We could have ten groups of calves in different areas. They all feed on the 10 tit blue feeders hanging on a gate. So rather than having to carry buckets of milk around to 10 areas, it'd be handy fill this thing up and drive around to each pen. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

36mm spanner, I needed one thin enough to fit between the engine block and the fan on a landrover defender.
    It worked and took me about 15 minutes .
    Its as rough as they get though.

If it works... I made a 36 mm socket from some pipe cut 5 slots in it flattened each section around the nut welded the joins, perfect job, welded handel on to the side of it, removed blades off a topper

If it works... I made a 36 mm socket from some pipe cut 5 slots in it flattened each section around the nut welded the joins, perfect job, welded handel on to the side of it, removed blades off a topper

Nice...very nice

Finally got back to the "sprocket"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nice work. What's with the paint job on the drum? Is it camouflaged?

Odelay wrote: »
    Nice work. What's with the paint job on the drum? Is it camouflaged?

Ran a builders line on it and then sprayed over it to get the curved line. Look closely and you will see the line I'm following for the blades in pic 2

Ran a builders line on it and then sprayed over it to get the curved line. Look closely and you will see the line I'm following for the blades in pic 2

Ah, now I get it, thought the dark area was sprayed over the yellow drum but now see it's yellow sprayed over a steel drum.
    Sorry to be a nosey fooker again, but what is the tray/trough on the back wall? Know ya put a lot of thought into work, so curious as to its use......

Smart idea! I was about to ask had ya gone all fancy and using some special anti spatter spray :D

Looks like its for feeding a giraffe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Looks like its for feeding a giraffe

That'll confuse the grading machine but sure we've already had horse meat so why not :)

• Advertisement

Ah, now I get it, thought the dark area was sprayed over the yellow drum but now see it's yellow sprayed over a steel drum.
    Sorry to be a nosey fooker again, but what is the tray/trough on the back wall? Know ya put a lot of thought into work, so curious as to its use......

:D it's just a homemade feeding through that hangs on a gate

:D it's just a homemade feeding through that hangs on a gate

So you made a device to hang the feeding trough that hangs on a gate to store it??? :D I'm guessing there are no pallets and twine filling gaps in your place:pac:

So you made a device to hang the feeding trough that hangs on a gate to store it??? :D I'm guessing there are no pallets and twine filling gaps in your place:pac:

Nope it just haging on the side panels of the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Finally got back to the "sprocket"

Just needs a coat of MF red now :D

rushvalley wrote: »
    Just needs a coat of MF red now :D

Now there's an idea :D

Was wondering on a colour scheme for it
    Was thinking yellow drum and wheels with blue frame

Suggestions? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Nice job Reggie. It'll be interesting to see what difference it will do to a field.

Nice job Reggie. It'll be interesting to see what difference it will do to a field.

More than likely seed metal blades in the ground everywhere :D

What are your spikes made from

What are your spikes made from

Reversible plough points

Will the hardened steel weld to the mild steel

Will the hardened steel weld to the mild steel

Seems to have while I was tacking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Seems to have while I was tacking it

29 /9 rod if it doesn't. That should sort it.

Figerty wrote: »
    29 /9 rod if it doesn't. That should sort it.

I'm gonna MIG them

Quote: Mad4simmental

Sorry reggie but i cant find the op or photos , what did you make for tearing up ground ?

Quote: Mad4simmental

Sorry reggie but i cant find the op or photos , what did you make for tearing up ground ?
    A drum aerator

Look two pages back

• Advertisement
Advertisement