Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I did just that. Works fine. Takes about 2 mins to hoist up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110073644&postcount=15

If you had a second pulley mounted somehow that would keep tension on the winding chain. Drive this pulley with a crank handle or better still a battery drill or small motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If you had a second pulley mounted somehow that would keep tension on the winding chain. Drive this pulley with a crank handle or better still a battery drill or small motor.

Good idea. The second pulley would have to fit the chain too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

For those of us who think we can weld. This guy is brilliant ... and no bullsh1t from him either. A lot of other good videos on his channel too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dunno if this counts, but a bit of guntering none the less. Small man got a work bench for Christmas and it’s pure flimsy. So I’m modifying an IKEA filing drawer to make him a proper bench for his birthday. Will move some of the accessories from the other bench. I’ve a peg board half made for the top. If it turns out ok, I might try make a few tools for it. All depends on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

Dunno if this counts, but a bit of guntering none the less. Small man got a work bench for Christmas and it’s pure flimsy. So I’m modifying an IKEA filing drawer to make him a proper bench for his birthday. Will move some of the accessories from the other bench. I’ve a peg board half made for the top. If it turns out ok, I might try make a few tools for it. All depends on time.

Very impressive

• Advertisement

jaginsligo wrote: »
    Very impressive

Thanks, getting sick of all the plastic toys everywhere. The lads has great craic assembling it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Thanks, getting sick of all the plastic toys everywhere. The lads has great craic assembling it with me.

I bought my young fella a tool kit a couple of years ago. Real tools just child sized. He got some use out of them. He was always hammering something or cutting a bit of timber. He used to take the wheels off his toys and bike to give them a service. I even used his little spanners on the odd occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

jimini0 wrote: »
    I bought my young fella a tool kit a couple of years ago. Real tools just child sized. He got some use out of them. He was always hammering something or cutting a bit of timber. He used to take the wheels off his toys and bike to give them a service. I even used his little spanners on the odd occasion.

Was that the set with the wooden handles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Was that the set with the wooden handles?

This is the one

This is the one

I had one of them when I was a kid lol. Great little set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭893bet

Old post in back ground was an untreated spruce that died.
    Tantilised post not much better
    Hydro piping
    Baling twine.

We all do stuff like this.

2-A6-CF671-DA33-48-D2-892-F-A01473-E6-BAD0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Figerty

893bet wrote: »
    Hydro piping
    Baling twine.

Here's one for you. Hydradare is made back by addding Carbon black. Carbon black is a conductor so you will lose some power through that pipe! Not much is used but it does contribute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

893bet wrote: »
    Hydro piping
    Baling twine.

In my fathers tkme an insulater was a fertiliser bag wrapped around a post and wire tied to it with baler tyne

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

K.G. wrote: »
    In my fathers tkme an insulater was a fertiliser bag wrapped around a post and wire tied to it with baler tyne

Still the way here, especially for temporary fences. Baling tine would be optional. Just wrap the fence around the post. Keeps the bag in place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭893bet

Figerty wrote: »
    Here's one for you. Hydradare is made back by addding Carbon black. Carbon black is a conductor so you will lose some power through that pipe! Not much is used but it does contribute.

If you saw the rest of the fence you would realise that’s the least of the problems....

This is the one

I love it. A friend had similar when we were younger and I was so envious. But he will have to be slightly more mature before I get it. Can see my 1yo being sawed in two.

This is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Thought it was fred dibnahs mine shaft take two for a while & some claim the youth won't work with manual labour jobs.

This is mad.

The Russians are big into digging large diameyer water wells like above but most by mechanical means. Plenty vids on YOUTUBE.
    I had a couple of uncles who dug a well by hand sometime back in late 50s early 60s. The got the local school master to divine for it. Then they started digging. The farm is over a gravel bank so wasn't the worst for digging.
    What came out of the hole they screened. They acquired a block making machine and made blocks with the screened gravel. Once they hit water they then lined the well back up with the blocks. The well is still there today but it's not ideal for a submersible borehole pump as there's isn't a great depth of water at the bottom. The only solution is to lie the pump horizontally in the water.

Oh yeah did I mention that they had to dig down 56 ft before they hit water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The claustrophobia would kick.in big time here after the second liner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There is a hand dug well in our yard, I think there was once a hand pump on it.
    Blue stone flag over it now.
    The father once told me that he cleaned out the bottom of it when he was a teenager.
    Lowered down on a rope, something like 30 feet along with a galvanised bucket .
    There was a ledge 6 feet from the bottom that you could stand in under
    so that there was room to let the bucket up past you, filled with sediment....
    Madness looking back at it ....

Back in the 80s while on holidays I saw my uncle to go down the above well on homemade timber ladders strapped together with blue poly rope. I think he was crossing over and back the line between bravery and stupidity. It was an Aquadare pump he had at the time and for some reason water flow had dropped so he figured the foot valve needed checking and moving. I was given the job of putting the crowbar through the ladder rungs to hold the ladders that were down the well while he tied on the next extension:rolleyes:

My uncles dug a well like the one in the video as teenagers in the 70s. Think it's 5 or 6 rungs down. Hard graft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    The claustrophobia would kick.in big time here after the second liner...

On a training session one time we had to crawl through a 15" corripipe.i got in as far as the hips and started to lose it. One of the other lads started to push me further in by my ankles. I started to panic and kick like a jackass and one of the kicks landed on the other lads hand and dislocated his thumb. So no, I would not be going down that well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

One wonders foxy was there any shuttering to keep the side s while they went down as that gravel would be prone to slipping.read a story of a hotel in London where they put in a whole new floor under ground lately. Donegal men went in and dug shafts down 50 or 60 feet under all mainstucture and brought them back up with concrete to support the building and then they could clear the rest of the floor.they said it couldnt be done but they did it

K.G. wrote: »
    One wonders foxy was there any shuttering to keep the side s while they went down as that gravel would be prone to slipping.read a story of a hotel in London where they put in a whole new floor under ground lately. Donegal men went in and dug shafts down 50 or 60 feet under all mainstucture and brought them back up with concrete to support the building and then they could clear the rest of the floor.they said it couldnt be done but they did it

I've only one uncle alive now but he was in the States when the digging was going on so he doesn't know about the finer details. He did say that when they came out one several mornings that the sides had slipped in places. If they were near the bottom and even a pebble dropped youd know about it.
    There was a local man now dead that claimed that originally they lined the walls back up with block on edge. At some stage it caved in and the whole lot had to be dug out and it was relined with the blocks on the flat. Yer man was daft as a brush so i wouldn't pay much heed to the claim. If true it must have been some dose.

It's plain crazy from a health and safety point of view. Imagine trying to do what the Russians did above, in a modern construction site. It would be a cheap way of putting in a well in Ireland for cattle. You wouldn't have to go down that deep anyway. :D

I remember Reilig, an old poster on here, talking about putting in one before with large concrete pipes. He just dug it with a digger, stacked in the pipes and back filled the sides with clean gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's plain crazy from a health and safety point of view. Imagine trying to do what the Russians did above, in a modern construction site. It would be a cheap way of putting in a well in Ireland for cattle. You wouldn't have to go down that deep anyway. :D

I remember Reilig, an old poster on here, talking about putting in one before with large concrete pipes. He just dug it with a digger, stacked in the pipes and back filled the sides with clean gravel.

We have a well like that at home - just dug a big hole and threw in some wide concrete pipes and away you go...
    Was done when I was small, the land had since been reclaimed and now the well Is lost - everyone else that was there that day is dead and I was only about 6 so can’t really remember where it was :)

Wasn’t some of the first underground done like the Russian lad - a massive brick cylinder was built and then they just started removing the earth from underneath it and down they went...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There is a hand dug well in our yard, I think there was once a hand pump on it.
    Blue stone flag over it now.
    The father once told me that he cleaned out the bottom of it when he was a teenager.
    Lowered down on a rope, something like 30 feet along with a galvanised bucket .
    There was a ledge 6 feet from the bottom that you could stand in under
    so that there was room to let the bucket up past you, filled with sediment....
    Madness looking back at it ....

An old neighbour of mine, he's dead now, but as a child he had to do the same thing. Go down a well to clean out sediment.

For about a week before it the old lads were telling him stories about all the treasure he was going to be finding down the well. By the time the cover came off the well he was well revved up with all the excitement. Different times alright.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement