Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Fair play to ye reggie that's some work there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Reggie. wrote: »
    A drum aerator

Look two pages back

Absolutely smashing work there. V tidy, even down to keeping the hydraulics tidied away. If you don't mind me asking, do you have much of a selection of machines, or are you working off the standard farmer kit (welder, grinder and hammer...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

delaney001 wrote: »
    Absolutely smashing work there. V tidy, even down to keeping the hydraulics tidied away. If you don't mind me asking, do you have much of a selection of machines, or are you working off the standard farmer kit (welder, grinder and hammer...)

Standard kit. Welder, hammer, grinders.

Have the backup of a workshop if required but rarely use it but handy to have it all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Is the drum very heavy ? Would a 3 pt linkage on a 4wd tractor carry it make it so much simpler, like your standard roller setup

dharn wrote: »
    Is the drum very heavy ? Would a 3 pt linkage on a 4wd tractor carry it make it so much simpler, like your standard roller setup

Was going to go that way but it would be heavier on the back of a tractor I thought. This setup would be easier pulled on land and the road

Of course, very impressive but added a lot of cost to job for what might be questionable results, you are only going down a few inches, would do little for compaction

Of course, very impressive but added a lot of cost to job for what might be questionable results, you are only going down a few inches, would do little for compaction

To add the axle at the back cost me about €200 which was the ram and hoses. What I learned making it is worth more to me as it was a challenge :D I did it mainly as if it was on the lift arms it would lift the front of the tractor on the headlands which might damage the field, where when it's lifted on the axle there is a small bit of weight put on the tractors tyres so less chance of ripping.

The blades are 6 inches high. Most aerators have blades that length. Noticed that blades any longer had reinforcing on the sides which I believe interfered with them penetrating their full length. Most compaction here is in the first 3 inches so they should be long enough to penetrate through.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

I looking at making a cattle crush gate. I have a simple desing in mind just one that holds the head with a lever bolted to a frame with a catch on top.

Has anyone made one before ? pictures would be a good help.

SCOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

SCOL wrote: »
    I looking at making a cattle crush gate. I have a simple desing in mind just one that holds the head with a lever bolted to a frame with a catch on top.

Has anyone made one before ? pictures would be a good help.

SCOL

Waste of time skimping on a crush gate. The cheapest one you could buy with the bars going all the way to the ground would be better and safer than anything you could make. Penny wise and pound foolish if they go to go down.... and they will go down

• Advertisement

would agree a hundred percent, although i made up my own copied an automatic closing one still not 100 % reliable , bad crush gate is a disaster, you only get 1 chance with some cattle

68 blades later. My back is gonna feel this tomorrow :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Some job! How did you hold the spikes in place while you got the first spot on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭mengele

Some job! How did you hold the spikes in place while you got the first spot on them?

would a magnet hold them? that is a super job. how did you go about making the bearing? timber?

Held them by hand. Put a good spot weld on one end then tap it straight with a lump hammer before the weld cools. Then spot the front of the blade

mengele wrote: »
    would a magnet hold them? that is a super job. how did you go about making the bearing? timber?

Yeah the bearing was made from teek. Bored out a 2" hole out of the middle of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

68 blades later. My back is gonna feel this tomorrow :(
    ya really should have put them on the other way around, rip the slot as they come up rather than smoothing it and holding water:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

dar31 wrote: »
    ya really should have put them on the other way around, rip the slot as they come up rather than smoothing it and holding water:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Don't worry, dar, he can either take out the drum and put it into the frame the other way around, or convert the entire outfit to front mounted .

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Don't worry, dar, he can either take out the drum and put it into the frame the other way around, or convert the entire outfit to front mounted .

Or roll in reverse:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Reggie did you start off with an ordinary roller ?

dar31 wrote: »

I don't follow

• Advertisement

Reggie did you start off with an ordinary roller ?

Yeah the frame rotted off the roller so I inherited it :)

ya i have a similar roller except the drum is a bit bashed but you have me thinking, did you cut the plough tips in half ? how much in total did the 'knives' cost

ya i have a similar roller except the drum is a bit bashed but you have me thinking, did you cut the plough tips in half ? how much in total did the 'knives' cost

Yeah cut them straight in the middle and you should get 5 and a half inches in height from each one. Knives are 12 inches apart on the row and each row is 9 inches apart.

Got the plough points for €3.60 each so 35 were near €128

is it really necessary to spiral them i know it would be a bit bumpiddy but unless the ground was very hard the knives would be sinking in to it anyway

is it really necessary to spiral them i know it would be a bit bumpiddy but unless the ground was very hard the knives would be sinking in to it anyway

Yeah it stops the thumping while your driving along. With the spiral you can travel faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Reggie - stupid question but I assume that the roller is still intact and holds water. Would you not be afraid of damaging the steel when welding on the points and therefore causing it to leak?
    I know nothing about welding other than handing OH welding rods on demand :rolleyes:

Base price wrote: »
    Reggie - stupid question but I assume that the roller is still intact and holds water. Would you not be afraid of damaging the steel when welding on the points and therefore causing it to leak?
    I know nothing about welding other than handing OH welding rods on demand :rolleyes:

No the steel is good and thick so shouldn't burn through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Will a tack at either end of the blades be strong enough do you think or would it need a bead along the sides? Fair play again, its a nice bit of craftmanship

Will a tack at either end of the blades be strong enough do you think or would it need a bead along the sides? Fair play again, its a nice bit of craftmanship

Its only tacked at the minute. Mate will run the MIG either side and then I'll weld reinforcement on top of that again.

Poor reggie he'll never get it finished all day on the computer answering questions about it :)

• Advertisement

Poor reggie he'll never get it finished all day on the computer answering questions about it :)

Only get a few hours a week on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I think reggie should win a prize for that roller, a lot of work went into it.

I think reggie should win a prize for that roller, a lot of work went into it.

I'll second that. Wait till its finished tho :)

Nekarsulm wrote: »

It already is designed for front mounted tractors

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Lads it's not a roller at all, it's for clearing minefields:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Lads it's not a roller at all, it's for clearing minefields:eek:

Now your talking....either that or I'm watching too much of the walking dead

Can't take the credit for this one. Oul lads idea and it's a good one. Local lad did the work.

Before got it done l used a chain to keep the gate in open position, but there was still a gap that one could jump into next pen.

Not any more! :)

Ps kovu can you embed if you get a chance? Thanks!
    ezaxsmFl.jpg
    wAvSPT4l.jpg

Muckit wrote: »
    Can't take the credit for this one. Oul lads idea and it's a good one. Local lad did the work.

Before got it done l used a chain to keep the gate in open position, but there was still a gap that one could jump into next pen.

Not any more! :)

Ps kovu can you embed if you get a chance? Thanks!

Very handy them gates are. Few of them in the main yard

Are they the jourdain ones or homemade jobs? Stick up a few pics. Like stuff like that that's as much about the design as the manufacture

• Advertisement

Are they the jourdain ones or homemade jobs? Stick up a few pics. Like stuff like that that's as much about the design as the manufacture

Lots of home made gates in the main yard. Whole handling unit is handmade

Are they telescopic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

!

Your after giving me an idea. Putting in floors into a shed here and putting up new calving pens & creeps and I'm sort of stuck at one cate into the calving pen. This will work :-)

Are they telescopic?

Some of them are. If my memory serves me right.

Your after giving me an idea. Putting in floors into a shed here and putting up new calving pens & creeps and I'm sort of stuck at one cate into the calving pen. This will work :-)

Ya l was thinking of having another small gate hinged off this one having it telescopic is a much neater job. Only downside l can think of with telescopic is if they put pressure on it with two trying to squeeze out together, they could put a bend in bars and then wouldn't slide back! But think having plenty of bars on gate will stop this. Fingers crossed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

A bit of Sunday morning Guntering
    185328F1-FCF5-401D-94A8-97D65806F468-1901-0000027655574518_zpsb578d3fc.jpg
    C2601691-8023-4E09-B364-2F31C2CF61E5-1901-0000027672A5F348_zps81aecd27.jpg
    F5DC4F79-23CB-46FA-A854-2B70FA7415BF-1901-00000276A95E266A_zps0de91a78.jpg
    BE49DC2B-9C3E-43B3-86A0-8DB3D6B4B1D5-1901-00000276E58F3C74_zps6838d108.jpg
    8EED8C57-C690-4789-813D-CD2E07F826FD-1901-000002772A6C8D7C_zps6de87acb.jpg
    ABC6C69F-A0C2-4217-8053-8C9393A91D44-1901-00000277458FEFBC_zpsca66fa30.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is that the new dewalt impact ? They are a great job

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is that the new dewalt impact ? They are a great job

There a good job alright. Have the makita as well. Prefer the Mikita it's not as fast as dewalt. U can break the heads of screws with dewalt handy enought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Sligoronan wrote: »
    There a good job alright. Have the makita as well. Prefer the Mikita it's not as fast as dewalt. U can break the heads of screws with dewalt handy enought.

Are the batteries as good in the makita ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Are the batteries as good in the makita ?

Ya not bad have it 3 years and still get a half a day out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement