Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

f140 wrote: »
    paint those welds. looks a mighty job

The whole thing is getting a paint job. I'm 99% there. Thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Reggie. wrote: »

Good job Reggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Spray?

just do it wrote: »
    Spray?

Nah. The auld brush id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Guntered a new floor into the small cowbox, sprayed the wheels, new mudguards and completely retired it with led lights. Have 4 new hub units in the post for it aswell because the backplates are all rotted away and it isint much good without brakes. Will stick up a pic when it's all finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Guntered a new floor into the small cowbox.

Great job! What happened the original floor? Would it not have had an aluminium floor originally?

Muckit wrote: »
    Great job! What happened the original floor? Would it not have had an aluminium floor originally?

It was but it had corroded somehow and there was a lot of small holes in it along with it having wore very thin. Got the sheets for the floor for 150 so wasn't too bad!

Rynn engineering in galway? Have a tractor cattle trailer floor to redo too. Not sure whether to use aluminium or ms chequer plate.

Very tasty lad. Almost ready for the donedeal :D

Rynn engineering in galway? Have a tractor cattle trailer floor to redo too. Not sure whether to use aluminium or ms chequer plate.

No, got it off a fella on the Clare/Galway border. Thought it would cost a lot more to be honest. It's hardly heavy enough for a tractor trailer though, 2mm I think it is, same as what I took out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Guntered a new floor into the small cowbox, sprayed the wheels, new mudguards and completely retired it with led lights. Have 4 new hub units in the post for it aswell because the backplates are all rotted away and it isint much good without brakes. Will stick up a pic when it's all finished.
    Fine job. The same box as myself. :D It's the old Ifor Williams, isnt it?
    Did you replace the timbers underneath? Mine has a steel floor. Usually rub old engine oil to it over the winter, but I may have to replace it soon.

Fine job. The same box as myself. :D It's the old Ifor Williams, isnt it?
    Did you replace the timbers underneath? Mine has a steel floor. Usually rub old engine oil to it over the winter, but I may have to replace it soon.

Ya that's the one alright, 10x5. No the timbers seemed ok so I left them as they were, surprised there's a steel floor in it. Must have been changed at some stage before??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nice job there, do you want to do another one:pac:, where did you get the lights? I hear you'd nearly be as well off getting a whole new axle instead of doing a hub.

Is the bar holding on the tailboard ok on yours?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice job there, do you want to do another one:pac:, where did you get the lights? I hear you'd nearly be as well off getting a whole new axle instead of doing a hub.

Is the bar holding on the tailboard ok on yours?

700 for a complete axle. Getting complete new hub units with cables for 100 a corner sent down from the north. All you need is a length of 2'' heavy duty box for the axles then. I could have bought a trailer cheaper than the ifor Williams replacements! The bar the ramp hinges on is it? If so there's a small bit of wear on it but it's alright. As far as I know the hinges can be replaced. Got the lights off eBay, 2 rear lights, 2 side lights on an arm about 6'' long and a number plate light for €60 delivered. All led and very bright. Thought they were cheap enough. Did away with the junction box and soldered it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

HofGPO.jpg
    We didn't want to put concrete down here because we have idea of putting 100ft slurry tank infront of shed and cubicles in it next yr.
    So we did this works very well with minimal waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Quarry belting? great job!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Quarry belting? great job!

Cubicle mats we have that haven't been used. Last yr all nuts got wasted going into the ground. None if that this yr

jTbvko.jpg
    Filling up on grub

Trailer finished, just need to get a few stickers for it now!

Trailer finished, just need to get a few stickers for it now!

Lovely job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Letter of complaint gone in already

How dare they :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

delaney001 wrote: »
    Log splitter made by neighbour. V straightforward, spool valve forward and reverse. Slow enough to be v safe but quick enough to motor through timber. Yet to meet a block it couldn't split. Think we split about 15 tractor-loader-buckets worth yesterday in about 5 hours. Two man job. Ram off a digger, blade off side of a bucket.

Forgot pics

Forgot pics

Very nice job there del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Forgot pics

Does the curve on the "axe" not make stuff rise off it an awful lot? Ours has worn back a bit and it lets stuff slip up an odd time, I've thought of welding a bit of a sharpened pin onto the top Thatd stick forward about half an inch to stop it but haven't got round to it yet

No, the only way work slides off the top is if there is a wicked slanted back angle on the piece of timber. 99% bites in immediately and if its anyway dry will split straight away. A lot of times you wont need to extend the ram all the way. The angle at the bottom sort of pulls the timber down and in as well, which helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Excellent simple design, the only change I would make is to add a cradle where the log will sit in front of the blade, rather than balancing it on the beam

dharn wrote: »
    Excellent simple design, the only change I would make is to add a cradle where the log will sit in front of the blade, rather than balancing it on the beam

I know what ya mean, but if your cutting a large round (3ft diameter), it's handy to be able roll it into and keep clipping off the edge of it. Don't think you'd be able do that if you had a cradle

The first field test. Results so far seem good. Had no water ballast and it penetrated 4-5 inches. Didn't dig up the ground much and left a nice slit for slurry etc.

• Advertisement

The first field test. Results so far seem good. Had no water ballast and it penetrated 4-5 inches. Didn't dig up the ground much and left a nice slit for slurry etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Did the teeth on it hold up or any breaks?

I said wrote: »
    Did the teeth on it hold up or any breaks?

Only did about an acre. Teeth seem more that capable. When i hit a rock the barrel would lift so seem strong at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Only did about an acre. Teeth seem more that capable. When i hit a rock the barrel would lift so seem strong at that

Fine job Reggie, I'd love to hear what your non farming nabourghs say when they see you going down the road with it!

Fine job Reggie, I'd love to hear what your non farming nabourghs say when they see you going down the road with it!

It'll turn a few heads for sure :D

One more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Spreading slurry after aerating is the worst thing you could do. You'll smother the earthworm population which will result in compaction.

Spreading slurry after aerating is the worst thing you could do. You'll smother the earthworm population which will result in compaction.

Didn't know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Didn't know that
    Only use it in very dry time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you could dispatch your enemies with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Spent the night in the workshop under a John Deere 6930 fixing the front axle. Got it sorted eventually although steering function isn't quite what it was :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Milton09 wrote: »
    Spent the night in the workshop under a John Deere 6930 fixing the front axle. Got it sorted eventually although steering function isn't quite what it was :)
    Did Santa hit a bump in the road? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Milton09 wrote: »

Environmentally friendly suspension...

Never thought about this, but l'm sure it would depend on the rate of spread? With GLAS on the horizon l can see most lads getting contractor in with injector. Would be thinking about this measure myself.

As regards Reggies field test, grqnd to see if engineering is up to scratch but if you can bring a machine like that into a field this time of year it's probably safe to say it does need aeration!

'Loosing the welly' is as good a test as any!

Never thought about this, but l'm sure it would depend on the rate of spread? With GLAS on the horizon l can see most lads getting contractor in with injector. Would be thinking about this measure myself.

As regards Reggies field test, grqnd to see if engineering is up to scratch but if you can bring a machine like that into a field this time of year it's probably safe to say it does need aeration!

I see a field the brother blackened too heavy with slurry last year and a heap of worms came out of the ground and died . It's has a right pan on it now and has more water sitting on top of it than the one next store .
    I wonder can you buy worms or encourage them back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Bullocks wrote: »
    I see a field the brother blackened too heavy with slurry last year and a heap of worms came out of the ground and died . It's has a right pan on it now and has more water sitting on top of it than the one next store .
    I wonder can you buy worms or encourage them back ?

I'm sure you can, on a large scale I don't know. I'd start by looking up various wormeries. FYM and that type of thing is great for them.

We are on hilly heavy soiled land. Never seen an aerator in its time and very large machines on it every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm sure you can, on a large scale I don't know. I'd start by looking up various wormeries. FYM and that type of thing is great for them.

Lots of good ,well rotted fym - will work wonders - -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Here a few pics. of a canister I made years ago, to allow you pump oil into awkward places.
    Air tank off an old Ford lorry, with a galvanised pipe fitting welded on, and a matching threaded bung . Has a hole drilled and valve stem brazed on, to allow the tank be pressurised. Holds about 2 gallons.

Here a few pics. of a canister I made years ago, to allow you pump oil into awkward places.
    Air tank off an old Ford lorry, with a galvanised pipe fitting welded on, and a matching threaded bung . Has a hole drilled and valve stem brazed on, to allow the tank be pressurised. Holds about 2 gallons.

Good job there nek

That would save a bit of cursing and swearing in awkward places , fair play Nek

• Advertisement
Advertisement