Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

At least with metal you can weld it back together and grind it back flush so it looks perfect, ready to cut it too short again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was making a cowl top for over a water heater in the shed for suck calves and general washing.

The exhaust/chimney on it is not ideal for a shed environment with dirt and dust so I decided to make a cover for top, but as soon as I finished it, I realised I could have made it a lot more simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Bit of guntering, always like weighing calves at birth/within 8hrs. Used to weigh myself, then lift calf & weigh both of us on bathroom scales. Grand when they were small AAx calves but not now with bigger LMx calves!

Old rusted dehorning crate stripped down, replaced few bars & sheeting, using a crane scales (300kg limit) of Amazon & some new chains. Lift with tractor loader.

Checked it with bags of nuts & good accuracy on it. Save my back & less stress on calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mex10

Some magnetic aids in the milking parlour, first is an earth magnet for a welder, bolted to a threaded connector that's welded to pipe iron, magnet is so strong it has to be slid off. Second, I saw the magnetic blanks online, but at €30 for three I decided just to modify my own. Hot glue was used to fill the inside and a rawlplug set into it, magnet is strong, power hose won't knock it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Putting the post driver on the front using the frame of the bale spike, post driver can still be used on the front or back of tractor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I like to re use fence insulator eggs, the wire on one end was perfect but usually it’s a tough job to undo high tensile wire from an egg with a fencing pliers or vice grip etc. Had a brain wave this time and used the cordless angle grinder. It will be going in the fencing bucket in future.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

You could cut the wire about 5 inches away from the egg, keep it and next time you want to use it have a wire wrapped around a strainer and just use a gripple grapple to join onto it and tension the wire. Saves having to rewrap wire around the insulator again. Won't work in every situation. 8 inch bolt cutter just as handy and has no batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mex10

Retractable clothes line bought on amazon for less than a tenner. Used with a gatebreaker to fence off gaps/portions of a yard. Been used for over two years. Only suitable for quiet stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'd been thinking of a similar system, that would come in handy. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did anyone get the plasma cutter in Lidl?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

No, but got the one that has the compressor inside it, only. The one in lidl requires a compressor, but has pilot arc torch. I will probably by the pilot arc torch from lidl germany as it seems a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If your tractor won't start and you blame the battery and buy a new battery.

And she'll start after it goes in. And won't after. And then you blame the starter and buy a new starter.

And when you put it in and it still won't start. ( All this time pre new battery starting on jump leads. )

And you're still stumped.

Check the cables from the battery and give them a little jig or have someone on the ground while you're on the key give them a jig.

I cut the end off the power cable stripped the sheath. Cut a copper pipe to length of the battery connector, then cut lengthways again. Split it open. Put the cable in and clamped it several times with a vice grips to fit in the connector. Put it in the connector, tightened up. On the battery. Turn the key and in a millisecond the tractor starts.

New tractor. Better than I ever had since I bought her. The previous owner or garage man had tape on half the cable to fit into the connector. So it was already half a connection.

Pic before I slid in the copper pipe, cable combo.

Is that a ford 10 series with AP cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You can tell all that from a battery cable? Wow.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Reminds me of Fr Jack and the sound of the wine bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭9935452

We had similar with a TM155.

Every now and then it would nt turn the starter at all

Wiggle the wires a bit and off it would go , no issues for weeks.

It happened me one day and i found a similar bad connection .

Cut a small piece of tin about 10mm by 25mm, screwed back both screws on the battery clamp, slid in the tin on top of the wire and tightened the screws , so the tin squeezed the wire in the clamp. . 3 years on , still going strong

Your fix is a little bit tastier though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Suckler

Not just battery connections, but you'd be amazed the amount of problems caused by bad earth connections.

A jubilee clip will usually fit perfect into the battery clap....cut off the excess

Mounting points for front linkage/loader brackets are ford, paint is ford blue. Reason I asked is because if it was a 10 series, the bolts are way too long and could short off the metal bonnet as you're driving.

• Advertisement

What else would an armchair farmer be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What model is your Zetor and how do you find it? Might have to swap our loader tractor in the next 12 months as it is getting a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nice big table on that log splitter, the one thing that bugs me about mine is the small one, I keep meaning to do something about it.

It's a 100hsx, I only put 100hrs/ yr on it so couldn't really recommend it. It's the one I like least of all the Zetors I have had. I've had Crystals since the seventies and never had much problems, My previous one was a proxima 9641 and only changed it because it hadn't a shuttle and my left knee was giving a lot of hassle, The 9641 never gave any trouble and look to be value on done deal now.

The knee never gave any trouble since I got rid of 90% of my sheep either........ says it all really

Yea, it was only lluck that I bought that one, I didn't realise the advantage of the wide table at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Quick tip - get the height of the table set to suit your height. It looks a bit low to me. I set mine at about 1.0m and I can work it all day without back trouble...... and I get a lot of back trouble.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

And the way to measure it. Stand facing the table, hold your elbow by your side, hold out your forearm, turn hand down at the wrist. At your fingertips is your working height

Sounds very high for that job, most of the blocks are 10 -12 inches, so the working height would be 10inches higher than the table as you'd be holding the top of the block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Probably is too, I remembered it for measuring up for kitchen worktops.

Advertisement