Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Here a few pics. of a canister I made years ago, to allow you pump oil into awkward places.
    Air tank off an old Ford lorry, with a galvanised pipe fitting welded on, and a matching threaded bung . Has a hole drilled and valve stem brazed on, to allow the tank be pressurised. Holds about 2 gallons.

Best thing ive seen in a while.
    What we use is this
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cgg500-500cc-oil-suction-gun?da=1&TC=SRC-gearbox%20oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Milton09 wrote: »
    Spent the night in the workshop under a John Deere 6930 fixing the front axle. Got it sorted eventually although steering function isn't quite what it was :)

Bruder do spare parts , look up the web site and the part number is on each part. In fairness they give great service at least they did in our day we moved on to 1 32 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not really farming related but a washing line that u finally got round to for herself.

Only took me 4 years :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reggie. wrote: »
    Not really farming related but a washing line that u finally got round to for herself.

Not quite finished yet Reggie ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

There's something missing............

You'll have to roof it now, bit of polytunnel plastic so the poor girl won't have to be rushing in and out at the mercy of the rain :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I made a clothes line like that over 10 years ago. Decided this year they wanted it gone. Cut it up and welded a frame for my weedlicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You'll have to roof it now, bit of polytunnel plastic so the poor girl won't have to be rushing in and out at the mercy of the rain :p
    Roof is ideal if you can have one. Neighbour has one made from sheets of polycarb (I think its called). Allows sunlight in and keeps the worst of the rain off.

Base price wrote: »
    Roof is ideal if you can have one. Neighbour has one made from sheets of polycarb (I think its called). Allows sunlight in and keeps the worst of the rain off.

A small poly tunnel would be a good job I reckon.

A small poly tunnel would be a good job I reckon.
    Ideal and you can grow some nice veg in them too. Two birds with one stone :)

• Advertisement

Oh the lines are on since smartarse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Base price, very sexist of you to call someone's wife a bird and you a women and all. Kovu - pls ban her::D:D

Well for a washing line I'd not have the plastic down to the ground, for breeze. However I reckon myself it'd have to come down a fair piece if the line isn't in a sheltered spot.

Could make up temporary sides of plastic covered frames for the growing season though.

Well for a washing line I'd not have the plastic down to the ground, for breeze. However I reckon myself it'd have to come down a fair piece if the line isn't in a sheltered spot.

Could make up temporary sides of plastic covered frames for the growing season though.
    I used to have a poly tunnel, about 12 ft long. Handy play pen on a wet day for the two lads when they were growing up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Today's guntering- a nice shiny new head for the 35 :)

Is it stainless steel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Is it stainless steel?
    Chinese cast iron I'd say !

Oh shiny :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Chinese cast iron I'd say !
    Indian or maybe turkish?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

did a repair job on the round feeder..Old tin snips came into user again. Worked grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Great job, very tasty!

Just wondering should you go all the way through on the bottom and stick bolts in them? Or even every second one. Always noticed the galvanise always came away on the bottom from sitting in ****e.

Figerty wrote: »
    did a repair job on the round feeder..Old tin snips came into user again. Worked grand.
    I'm doing one myself at the moment. I hope to have it finished this evening. The sheeting alone was €40 for each one and about €20 for the m6x50 hex bolts I used. At the price of the feeders new, you'd wonder is it worth it when you consider your time.
    What size sheet did you use? Mine is 0.9mm, and no bother to work with. In the local COOP, I see they have 0.5mm on them. Big difference. I welded on 2 bits of angle to the uprights at each end to better fix the ends. In the past, it was at the ends that it came loose first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Sometimes when you're out in the field a vice could be handy. Easy to mount almost anything on a LR Defender.
    €25 for the vice in Lidl a few bits of scrap a few bolts and thats what I came up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Sometimes when you're out in the field a vice could be handy. Easy to mount almost anything on a LR Defender.
    €25 for the vice in Lidl a few bits of scrap a few bolts and thats what I came up with.

Reggie has a rocket launcher and a machine gun mounted on his Defender I believe;)

cjpm wrote: »
    Reggie has a rocket launcher and a machine gun mounted on his Defender I believe;)

Ah crap and there was me thinking a bench fitted to front bumper would be the dogs testicles. In Syria is he?

Great idea.

Do you have to bolt that on and off every time or am l missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Ah crap and there was me thinking a bench fitted to front bumper would be the dogs testicles. In Syria is he?

No, Cavan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

very good idea maybe a first aid kit when you miss the vice and drive the sledge throu the back window..😗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Do you ever shut the door?!!!

Muckit wrote: »
    Great idea.

Do you have to bolt that on and off every time or am l missing something?

Yeah although i have come up with a better idea using a pin but would have to weld 2 ears to hitch plate. They're only M12x30 mm bolts anyway the holes on the crossmember are threaded to accept the bolts. 19mm socket and ratchet has em on off in no time.

• Advertisement

No, Cavan ;)

No difference really!

jerdee wrote: »
    very good idea maybe a first aid kit when you miss the vice and drive the sledge throu the back window..😗

I never miss ha so there!

No difference really!
    :eek:

just do it wrote: »
    Do you ever shut the door?!!!

Maybe in February and March depending on the weather

Told ya to keep that to yourself :rolleyes:

Cant hold your Piss :D

:eek:

You know we speak the truth :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

I suppose you would need a vice on the bumper. Wouldn't you be forever trying to fix them ould Landys!:P

Told ya to keep that to yourself :rolleyes:

Cant hold your Piss :D

Just say it's for personal protection. No questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

ford 5600 wrote: »
    I suppose you would need a vice on the bumper. Wouldn't you be forever trying to fix them ould Landys!:P

Yeah, a vise and a few new Hardy Spices. Like the ad. says, don't leave home without them!

• Advertisement

ford 5600 wrote: »

Bejaysus they're coming out of the woodwork now!

I'm doing one myself at the moment. I hope to have it finished this evening. The sheeting alone was €40 for each one and about €20 for the m6x50 hex bolts I used. At the price of the feeders new, you'd wonder is it worth it when you consider your time.
    What size sheet did you use? Mine is 0.9mm, and no bother to work with. In the local COOP, I see they have 0.5mm on them. Big difference. I welded on 2 bits of angle to the uprights at each end to better fix the ends. In the past, it was at the ends that it came loose first.

Anyone ever replaced the galv sheet with stokboard or ecosheet? Fix with few stainless steel bolts and no more fixing Only the frame to see after then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Brilliant idea foxy , maybe an idea to off set it away from the door if you are tweaking it again . Fierce handy for a lad that does a bit of fixing in the field though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

could ya modify it so that the plate bolted to the jeep has an eye(or 2) that you can then use a pin/bar to join the vice stand to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Anyone ever replaced the galv sheet with stokboard or ecosheet? Fix with few stainless steel bolts and no more fixing Only the frame to see after then.

It's a wonder that JFC never made one based on a giant corrie pipe ring. It'ld be nice and light for lifting as well

ganmo wrote: »
    could ya modify it so that the plate bolted to the jeep has an eye(or 2) that you can then use a pin/bar to join the vice stand to

Have something like that in my head. Would make it fast to fit and remove. The 2 bolts on it now keep it grand and tight. Not a stir out of it. Twill have to do for now anyway.
    Draper tools sell a special clamp that clamps a scaffold pipe to the ball hitch and a steel plate for mounting vice on, on top of pipefor 250+vat.😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Bejaysus they're coming out of the woodwork now!

Only joking. Grand job, and as handy as a small pot

On the resheeting the round feeder, a friend used to always put the new sheet inside the feeder, as he reckoned it was the weight of the silage shoved it off. I never heard of the theory from any one else. I often weld in an other bar or two up and down ways so that the sheeting has more tecs, and more support against the cattles legs.

Farmer wrote: »
    It's a wonder that JFC never made one based on a giant corrie pipe ring. It'ld be nice and light for lifting as well

They'd last for ever more. No demand for, or profit in making replacements.

Built in obsolescence

Muckit wrote: »
    Built in obsolescence

Thems awful big words youd be using Muckit. Did ya eat a dictionary or wha,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thems awful big words youd be using Muckit. Did ya eat a dictionary or wha,?

Could be his New Years resolution 'sound smart while insulting everyone!'

• Advertisement
Advertisement