Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ah now now who do I be insulting?! :)

Thems awful big words youd be using Muckit. Did ya eat a dictionary or wha,?

Worse thing a company can do is have their product(s) too well engineered. They make as much on selling spare parts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Muckit wrote: »
    Worse thing a company can do is have their product(s) too well engineered. They make as much on selling spare parts etc

Something Land Rover owners know all too well!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Something Land Rover owners know all too well!!!!

Although to be fair, a hardy Spicer for a Ninety driveshaft costs about 15 euro, the same for a HiLux is nearer 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 p dogg

Hello all, I am gonna to make a silage pusher for the farm and am unsure of which type would suit best. The two types I'm considering are the wedge mounted to the tractor at an angle or the rotating wheel on a frame for a spike. I have to add that we only use round bales. I have seen videos of both on you tube etc but they only ever do be pushing in well chopped pit silage, my head is telling me the wedge option is more robust and suited to bales, I would be very grateful if anyone has experiences with silage pushers for bales and could advise me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

p dogg wrote: »
    Hello all, I am gonna to make a silage pusher for the farm and am unsure of which type would suit best. The two types I'm considering are the wedge mounted to the tractor at an angle or the rotating wheel on a frame for a spike. I have to add that we only use round bales. I have seen videos of both on you tube etc but they only ever do be pushing in well chopped pit silage, my head is telling me the wedge option is more robust and suited to bales, I would be very grateful if anyone has experiences with silage pushers for bales and could advise me!

The wheel is a Great job with pit or diet feeder. Whuure of a yoke with bales tho. Bar the bale is more than half eaten it's too much weight on the wheel. Wedge would be better if your predominantly bales IMO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Although to be fair, a hardy Spicer for a Ninety driveshaft costs about 15 euro, the same for a HiLux is nearer 100.

Probably because of higher turnover with the landy ones:D Any Jap (main dealer) part you have to pay through the nose.

P dogg no experience of pushing in bale silage, but if I was making something I'd go with a wheel, the bigger the better.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Ein Schaf-Zufuhrung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Ein Schaf-Zufuhrung

Nice job.
    What's the poster in the background Nek ?

mayota wrote: »
    Nice job.
    What's the poster in the background Nek ?

Thanks, Mayota.
    The poster was for a protest demo in Cavan about 4 years ago, protesting about the disbandment of the REPS scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

your abit of a hoarder nekarsulm!!

visatorro wrote: »

Where's your evidence? :D

When you do a clear-out, you invariably need something you just dumped, usually in the next few days...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Thanks, Mayota.
    The poster was for a protest demo in Cavan about 4 years ago, protesting about the disbandment of the REPS scheme.

Certainly different, remember being at a protest with the father in Sligo years ago with 'GATT out' posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Ein Schaf-Zufuhrung

Das ist Scheiße ! Ah no, nice job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

visatorro wrote: »

That's a gunters shed right there :D

Where's your evidence? :D

When you do a clear-out, you invariably need something you just dumped, usually in the next few days...................

I think it was edison who said 'all you need to be an inventor is a vivid imagination and a pile of junk'.

I think in farming the 7 year rule (chuck it out if you haven't used it in 7 yrs) does not apply, it's more like 7 decades.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think it was edison who said 'all you need to be an inventor is a vivid imagination and a pile of junk'.

I think in farming the 7 year rule (chuck it out if you haven't used it in 7 yrs) does not apply, it's more like 7 decades.

I work in a factory where a lot of metal got dumped over the years. A lot of it ended up in my shed at home. I've found use for at least 90% of it over the years. I'm putting up a small shed door at the moment and the only part I had to buy were the hinges. The sheeting on it is 2mm stainless steel.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Here I m making a garage heater to keep the rubbish at bay and the chill out of air . Used a old water tank must connect up the flue out through the wall .

335273.JPG"]jan2015 907.JPG[/URL] (1.92 MB)
    335274.JPG"]jan2015 908.JPG[/URL] (1.81 MB)

• Advertisement

I work in a factory where a lot of metal got dumped over the years. A lot of it ended up in my shed at home. I've found use for at least 90% of it over the years. I'm putting up a small shed door at the moment and the only part I had to buy were the hinges. The sheeting on it is 2mm stainless steel.:D

Amazing what some people throw put. Neighbour of mine works for a multinational medical devices company. About 3 years ago they had an FDA Audit and underwent some restructuring. He heard that the stores were doing a spring clean and that there might be something handy being thrown in the skips. We went up with a 8x4 trailer one morning when factory was on go slow during holidays. In the yard they had 3 skips filling.
    It would make you cry to see some of the stuff they were dumping. Full rolls of air hose, piping and pipe fitting of every description. Linbins still unwrapped, workstation seats. Sheets of various metals and plastics. A hoarders paradise. We had a nice haul of stuff coming home. Only thing that stopped us going back was the CCTV.

jerdee wrote: »
    Here I m making a garage heater to keep the rubbish at bay and the chill out of air . Used a old water tank must connect up the flue out through the wall .

Seemingly you can't be done for burning rubbish if the smoke comes out a chimney.
    Carry on!

How will you take the ashes out? Ash vac or scoop out?

Amazing what some people throw put. Neighbour of mine works for a multinational medical devices company. About 3 years ago they had an FDA Audit and underwent some restructuring. He heard that the stores were doing a spring clean and that there might be something handy being thrown in the skips. We went up with a 8x4 trailer one morning when factory was on go slow during holidays. In the yard they had 3 skips filling.
    It would make you cry to see some of the stuff they were dumping. Full rolls of air hose, piping and pipe fitting of every description. Linbins still unwrapped, workstation seats. Sheets of various metals and plastics. A hoarders paradise. We had a nice haul of stuff coming home. Only thing that stopped us going back was the CCTV.

Same here when a few of the barracks were closing. If it was in the skip it was fair game

Bottom has opening roughly about 8 inch bolted to hold in bag and vented from inlet pipe pic to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcmKVt1O2U

Came across this waste oil burner on you tube, ~~I like the way he used a pyrex dish from the OH kitchen.

• Advertisement

I know, large companies with redtape etc can't sell on stuff, so it all goes in the skip. No joking but I have kitted out a whole workshop from dumped stuff. Best of all was a large tool cabinet with keys. Two of us could just about lift it. The brother got the pick of two of them and the second one was for me, if I would go collect them with the 4X4 and trailer. 'No problem' - says I.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Seemingly you can't be done for burning rubbish if the smoke comes out a chimney.
    Carry on!

Actually burning rubbish is illegal full stop, chimney or not, this was changed to rule out chimney type burners in the last review..

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/burning_household_waste.html

Who has pictures of the Solid Fuel stove built from the transmission case of a Fordson Major? Saw it somewhere on the web a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Who has pictures of the Solid Fuel stove built from the transmission case of a Fordson Major? Saw it somewhere on the web a couple of years ago.

Blue5000 I think!

Someone had one built on this thread. Pics and all.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Actually burning rubbish is illegal full stop, chimney or not, this was changed to rule out chimney type burners in the last review..

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/waste_management_and_recycling/burning_household_waste.html

looks like smokeless fuel only so and timber.....

jerdee wrote: »
    Bottom has opening roughly about 8 inch bolted to hold in bag and vented from inlet pipe pic to follow.

thinking maybe airline to boost airflow to start it off

Would one of those small 220v extractor fans deliver enough airflow to do the job? They run fairly quietly as well.

I seen the heat generated ones that they put on stoves to kick out the heat.i think only for starting it should be good enough��

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

_Brian wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up, I have been burning loads of household rubbish and some silage wrap in an old outhouse with a chimney. Thought you were in the clear if you had a chimney.

Could you burn money? You know if you were making it hand over fist at summer grazing and we were tripping over it??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Could you burn money? You know if you were making it hand over fist at summer grazing and we were tripping over it??

Na, you would need it to pay the fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ein Schaf-Zufuhrung
    We have a hay feeder for calves that looks like your pic. Although our one was made many years ago as a sheep feeder from tines from an old horse drawn hay rake.

Happened to call to a man who is very experienced in all types of welding a weeks ago to get a price to repair the hanging brackets on a few 12 teat milk feeders.
    He had a stove/burner throwing out some serious heat into his workshop.
    It was a cylinder thingie about 2' tall x 8/10" diameter with lots of small holes drilled for air vents and a flue out the back near the top.
    It is fuelled from waste oil that he collects from changing the car/jeep/tractors that he and his family have.

Base price wrote: »
    Happened to call to a man who is very experienced in all types of welding a weeks ago to get a price to repair the hanging brackets on a few 12 teat milk feeders.
    He had a stove/burner throwing out some serious heat into his workshop.
    It was a cylinder thingie about 2' tall x 8/10" diameter with lots of small holes drilled for air vents and a flue out the back near the top.
    It is fuelled from waste oil that he collects from changing the car/jeep/tractors that he and his family have.

Where was this?

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Where was this?
    Longford.
    I will take some photo's when I am there next time. Seems to be a simple enough system. Oil flows into the bottom by gravity. He lights it with a small bit of oily rag or paper.

Longford.
    I will take some photo's when I am there next time. Seems to be a simple enough system. Oil flows into the bottom by gravity. He lights it with a small bit of oily rag or paper.

We have the very same thing in the workshop. He bought it just like us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

We have a hay feeder for calves that looks like your pic. Although our one was made many years ago as a sheep feeder from tines from an old horse drawn hay rake.

we have one of them down the lane here, could you put up a pic of the finished hay rack

Great idea. There are still some of those rakes stuck under hedges. Thinking about making a stronger one to take a silage bale. Hard to bend the curved bars evenly, be even harder with a heavier bar. Have to consider how to let the bale in gently. When you cut the netting a chopped bale falls asunder.

Bit of guntering at the kitchen table. Replaced the cracked screen on phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Is that a samsung s3. I have screen bought to do mine but scared about heat screen to Un stick glue. what way did you do it

Ok be honest...how many spare bits were left over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I got a new phone lately and your man in the shop gave me tempered glass that sticks onto the screen and is unbreakable. He was stabbing his to show how good it was . Could be worth getting as it's only €20 .
    Now in saying that mine broke after a couple of days in my pocket but he reckoned it was a faulty one and told me to call in for a replacement!

The outer glass is cracked on mine with 4 months. Ordered one before early Dec but got email Xmas eve saying it had been returned undelivered. Got one delivered last Thursday. Must track down hair dryer to heat screen. Have seen youtube vids but some say it doesn't always work after refitting. Was quoted 200 to replace it back in September. Feck that.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    we have one of them down the lane here, could you put up a pic of the finished hay rack
    I will during the week, but it is in 2 pieces at the minute. Bullock decided to jump it and didn't quite make it :mad:

Advertisement