Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hate cast iron....

Tasty enough all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hate cast iron....

Was asked to weld an old cast iron garden seat about 12 years ago. A few of the cross bars were cracked. Turned into a total nightmare. As soon as i'd weld the crack it would crack within minutes right next to the weld. Had cast iron rods and gave it small picks of the welder but still no good. Found out after that heating with a torch is a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was asked to weld an old cast iron garden seat about 12 years ago. A few of the cross bars were cracked. Turned into a total nightmare. As soon as i'd weld the crack it would crack within minutes right next to the weld. Had cast iron rods and gave it small picks of the welder but still no good. Found out after that heating with a torch is a great help.

Slow cooling is the secret. If its a small enough piece, build a coal fire and get the broken pieces almost red hot. Weld them together and bury back in the coals.
    Leave it there till the fire goes out and cools.
    That handle is brazed. Brazing is easier, good oxy torch will do the job. Give it a few small heats afterwards and leave to cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Took the deck off lawnmower, got it sandblasted and then dipped. Hopefully extend it's life.image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

Great job, how much did it cost ?

• Advertisement

SCOL wrote: »
    Great job, how much did it cost ?

Friend sandblasted it and sent it too galvanisers. I'd say €20 for blasting and €20 if that for dipping.image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

mayota wrote: »
    Friend sandblasted it and sent it too galvanisers. I'd say €20 for blasting and €20 if that for dipping.image.jpg

Would you give it a coat of stonechip/ underbody sealer to help preserve the galavanise from the worst?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Would you give it a coat of stonechip/ underbody sealer to help preserve the galavanise from the worst?

Would the undersealer not leave it with the textured surface tho that grass would stick to where as the galv would be smooth and a quick rinse of a hose would knock most off?

Think I'll leave it as it is, it needs to be smooth for the grass not to stick.

mayota wrote: »

I said it before and ill say it again.....

Shiney :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

The ring feeders I repaired with 0.9mm galvanised sheeting. I also welded some angle to the inside as it was there the last sheeting started to peel away first.

The frame I welded up for the Drinking Bowl. I bolted it to the cubicle so I can move it if I like. What do you think, should I wrap some steel around the front, to stop the cows from breaking it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

The frame I welded up for the Drinking Bowl. I bolted it to the cubicle so I can move it if I like. What do you think, should I wrap some steel around the front, to stop the cows from breaking it?

I definitely would.

Some tasty work there. Well done.

With the weekend that's in it, Wrap that Rascal
    Very neat job there. :)

I'd see how ya go and if it looks like it needs it then weld away. Must put up a pic of my own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

TheBody wrote: »
    I definitely would.

Some tasty work there. Well done.

It wold be worth giving it a small bit of protection. Cattle have a habit of scratching off of anything. Personally id bend a short length of inch pipe with the same diameter of the bowl and weld it on.
    Nice job though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Here's a pallet forks i made up late last year, forks and euro brackets and 100mm flat cost about €180 and i had 100mm box left over after another job. Would be lost without it now.

raypallas wrote: »
    Here's a pallet forks i made up late last year, forks and euro brackets and 100mm flat cost about €180 and i had 100mm box left over after another job. Would be lost without it now.

You forgot the pic raypallas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Think you need around 25 posts before you can put up a pic. Pity as I'd like to see it

Here's my drinker bracket

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Here's my drinker bracket
    My cubicles are right into the wall, so I couldn't get a plate in at the back.

My cubicles are right into the wall, so I couldn't get a plate in at the back.

Its handy for lowering or raising the drinker

You forgot the pic raypallas

Sorry reggie can't stick one up! Goin to be a while i think its 50 posts!!! So its goin to be a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

If you use an image hosting site like photobucket or Imgur, I can embed the pics for you if you message them to me. :)

Kovu wrote:
    If you use an image hosting site like photobucket or Imgur, I can embed the pics for you if you message them to me. 

i am new enough to posting on boards, how do i pm you the pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

i am new enough to posting on boards, how do i pm you the pics?

Do you know how to use a hosting site like Imgur? Just upload the photos there and links will appear on the right hand side which you can copy & paste. Then click here and it will bring you straight to messaging me.

Kovu wrote: »
    Do you know how to use a hosting site like Imgur? Just upload the photos there and links will appear on the right hand side which you can copy & paste. Then click here and it will bring you straight to messaging me.

Hope the pics are civil now :D

Bender for rebar. 2 rollers off scrapped vibrating roller destined to make a concrete filled land roller. Couldnt locate a third one. Heavy enough to stay put when in use. Could bend 2 bars at a time but its hard work. Haven't used it on 5/8 bar but would be capable of doing it I'd say.

main pics too big.

main pics too big.

Very nice foxy

• Advertisement

Here are 2 more.

I'll try again

Third time lucky maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Do you do steel fixing for tanks etc foxy?

Third time lucky maybe.

A double acting ram and a spool valve to the tractor, and you'd be flying!
    Like the bench, engineered on a massive scale!

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you do steel fixing for tanks etc foxy?

Just my own jobs. Not a job I particularly like. First slatted house was done by contractor. Roof was almost on when i realised he had built house smaller than ordered. He finished job but at reduced price. Prxxk. Ever since any building to be done i tackle it myself. Silage slab and walls second slatted house workshop all done by myself and a bit of local help. Once i see what a job entails once it stays in my head

• Advertisement

Nothing like doing a job yourself. At least you know it's done right. What would sorry me though, is maybe putting the rebar in the wrong place etc. Hard to undo a mistake when the concrete is poured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Improvised Connemara bale trailer, could carry two round bales of straw at a time. Quad pulled it uphill and through mud easily, don't think it'd make it through anywhere soft mind you!

Photo too big, will have to add that off laptop in a while.

Is it a sled or a trailer? ! I'm curious now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

It's not as exciting as you think Muckit :p

A decent galvanised trailer with wheels that go round and everything. Sorry. Disqualified. Too good for the guntering thread! :D

Is that the sheep tunnel in background? Looking tasty.

• Advertisement

Neighbour had a BB Inspection lately. He was told to put a box around the fuseboard in the dairy . Old type 6 way screw in type fuseboard. Anyway Muggins here was asked to come up with something that would fit in a tight space. Made a 9x9x5 box out of flat galv sheet with a hinged perspex window. Forgot to take a pic of the finished article. Heres 2 without the window.

Neighbour had a BB Inspection lately. He was told to put a box around the fuseboard in the dairy . Old type 6 way screw in type fuseboard. Anyway Muggins here was asked to come up with something that would fit in a tight space. Made a 9x9x5 box out of flat galv sheet with a hinged perspex window. Forgot to take a pic of the finished article. Heres 2 without the window.

Very nice. Your abit of a dap hand at the auld guntering

Not mine but a nifty way of bending sheet metal. Half thinking of making one. I'll be able to make some feed troughs from all that stainless sheeting thrown out at work.

Not mine but a nifty way of bending sheet metal. Half thinking of making one. I'll be able to make some feed troughs from all that stainless sheeting thrown out at work.

Wouldn't be too hard to make id say

Very nice. Your abit of a dap hand at the auld guntering

Would prefer it to beef farming any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Upped the size of the wheels on the baler to 550 22.5 floatation. Consequently need to put in spacers over the axle to get enough clearance on the mudguards, 2 X 10mm plates each side - job done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mattsimis/850CSI/Pipe%20Flare/IMG_0851copy.jpg

found this one on the motors thread. 100 psi held together with jubilee clips.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mattsimis/850CSI/Pipe%20Flare/IMG_0851copy.jpg

It'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Till he starts it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

To be fair we all have air hoses for compressor with fittings held on them by jubilie clips and they have 100-150 psi in them

• Advertisement
Advertisement