Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Want to make a cheap water heater here.
    Have a new one with parlour so don't want to buy a new one.

If I put an electric emersion in a steel lid and sat it in a 200l plastic barrel and wired to a timer would it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

If I put an electric emersion in a steel lid and sat it in a 200l plastic barrel and wired to a timer would it work?

Do ya need 200l of warm water? Big cost in heating that..
    I would use a thermostat as well as the timer to stop over heating... also I think good insulation is key for cost saving!

larthehar wrote: »
    Do ya need 200l of warm water? Big cost in heating that..
    I would use a thermostat as well as the timer to stop over heating... also I think good insulation is key for cost saving!

To feed 30 calves morning and evening. I was going to have timer set for 5 or so in morning and use at 6 and 3 in evening and feed at 4
    if I had 120 150l at 45/50° I'd have enough. Doesn't have to be boiling.
    If it was boiling I'd only need 50 l

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Guys i'm feeding silage in a creep area to 30 calves and currently using a wheelbarrow as access is the problem! A lot of barrows to keep them fed and was wondering of any other ideas of drawing the silage? Tractor not an option and not buying a quad so some cheap and easy idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

To feed 30 calves morning and evening. I was going to have timer set for 5 or so in morning and use at 6 and 3 in evening and feed at 4
    This is what you want
    http://www.kerbl.com/catalog/ShowArtikel.aspx?siteID=2&siteTyp=1&SKCatalogID=555068&SKLanguageID=2&SKTreeParentID=3411738&SKTreeID=2637102&SKProductID=2368025

ganmo wrote: »
    More money out :D
    yeah its a good option alright instead of mucking around with emersion and the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

might be another way around it

these have a header-tank with a heating coil in it, put cold water in, get hot water out
    simple out

http://www.navitron.org.uk/store/solar-panels-hot-water/water-heating/sfd30-58

ef560322902f591b55c58971d813682e.png

( wrong time of the day but might boil a tank for you a day ahead )

may not be as good in our lovely soft climate :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The higher the temp you heat it to - the more heat you'll lose to the air..
    Wrapping a cheap lagging jacket (or even an old duvet) round it will help too -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    The higher the temp you heat it to - the more heat you'll lose to the air..
    Wrapping a cheap lagging jacket (or even an old duvet) round it will help too -

If I heated 150 l to 40° I'd be happy.
    its just something to get me over this spring. Font Want To Spend much

• Advertisement

Guys i'm feeding silage in a creep area to 30 calves and currently using a wheelbarrow as access is the problem! A lot of barrows to keep them fed and was wondering of any other ideas of drawing the silage? Tractor not an option and not buying a quad so some cheap and easy idea?
    Bigger barrow or trolley - think there's some kind of 4 wheel wagon with a tipper on it . But it's still only gonna be a barrow or 2 ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Should work the finest, immersion should come with a stat, put the whole lot into an old fridge, drill hole for cable, should keep it nice and warm, & pick up a fridge for free from local recycling depot or bog hole

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Markcheese wrote: »
    Bigger barrow or trolley - think there's some kind of 4 wheel wagon with a tipper on it . But it's still only gonna be a barrow or 2 ...

The type for mucking out horse stables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Jfc do a decent size one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

More money out :D
    yeah its a good option alright instead of mucking around with emersion and the rest

http://www.connachtagri.ie/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=225&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Not wildly expensive, I wouldn't be a fan of messin around with electronics and liquid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

what about buying your own element and sticking it into a churn?
    that's all the Connaught one is.......

aside, surely there is an opportunity here somewhere to create a by product for hot water in a dairy.... after all the milk has to be cooled.
    would solar be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

http://www.brennancateringsupplies.ie/catering-appliances/beverage-machines/water-boilers/buffalo-water-boilers/
    We bought one of the water boilers like above for calves. They're not too dear and you can set them on a timer so it's ready when you want it and much safer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭anfieldrd

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    http://www.brennancateringsupplies.ie/catering-appliances/beverage-machines/water-boilers/buffalo-water-boilers/
    We bought one of the water boilers like above for calves. They're not too dear and you can set them on a timer so it's ready when you want it and much safer too!

How does that work, can you connect the water directly to it or have you to fill it yourself? Looks to be a safe option alright.

I'm not going to be taking lid off I can see how it would be dangerous if I was.
    I'll have a tap on barrel to take water out.
    Have a 12l burco but its a PIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

quote="Greengrass1;94707823"]I'm not going to be taking lid off I can see how it would be dangerous if I was.
    I'll have a tap on barrel to take water out.
    Have a 12l burco but its a PIA[/quote]

What about an inline water heater...
    https://www.aquahot.co.uk/redring-rp1-powerstream-instantaneous-water-heater-9-5kw

If you had an old electric shower at your disposal either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Passage scraper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Passage scraper

Clever lads. Be awhile cleaning the sheds here

There will be a shed here in the coming weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »

Fixed it. That'll be €2500 please.

Kovu wrote: »
    Fixed it. That'll be €2500 please.

Yes....... but I don't wear a green beret :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

What kind of shed are putting in Reggie, is it for stock or machinery

sea12 wrote: »
    What kind of shed are putting in Reggie, is it for stock or machinery

Still trying to make up my mind on that one. Was gonna build a calf rearing shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

In case you don't know already , put in ten or more ducts under the slab when its easy and cheap .

O.A.P wrote: »
    In case you don't know already , put in ten or more ducts under the slab when its easy and cheap .

Ducts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Ducts?
    Maybe its not spelled that way,
    Its empty pipes 2inch or bigger that you can use next year or maybe in 20 years time to supply extra services oil, water, gas, phone or ESB.
    What ever it is you don't think you need it now but things change and if ever the saying "your better off looking at it than for it" is true its when you need to break through walls and concrete to add something simple to a shed.

Its empty pipes 2inch or bigger that you can use next year or maybe in 20 years time to supply extra services oil, water, gas, phone or ESB.
    What ever it is you don't think you need it now but things change and if ever the saying "your better off looking at it than for it" is true its when you need to break through walls and concrete to something simple to a shed.

Ah I get ya now. Nope your spot on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What ever it is you don't think you need it now but things change and if ever the saying "your better off looking at it than for it" is true its when you need to break through walls and concrete to add something simple to a shed.

Good thinking

Coming along

Another step closer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think we have to re-name this thread 'Reggies inventions' or has anyone got more suggestions:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think we have to re-name this thread 'Reggies inventions' or has anyone got more suggestions:pac:

I think he's lining up his 10,000th post to be a pic of the 398 sitting parked under a shiny tin roof in this new shed :D:D

I think he's lining up his 10,000th post to be a pic of the 398 sitting parked under a shiny tin roof in this new shed :D:D

Now there's an idea but I think I'll have that shed up long before that

Not really farming but the fine weather spurred me on the finish up the BBQ area for the summer. Doing it at the same time as the shed

Not really farming but the fine weather spurred me on the finish up the BBQ area for the summer. Doing it at the same time as the shed

I see you left 'ducts' along the wall. Are you going to put in a urinal for the heavy tinnie (beer drinking) sessions in the future?:pac::pac:

I see you left 'ducts' along the wall. Are you going to put in a urinal for the heavy tinnie (beer drinking) sessions in the future?:pac::pac:

Nope. Poles will slot into them for the gazebos roof ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

Forget about a BBQ area ... Stick a proper roof on her steel door and you have a man's shed.

SCOL wrote: »
    Forget about a BBQ area ... Stick a proper roof on her steel door and you have a man's shed.

Ah you need somewhere to pan out in the summer

And you'll be able to depreciate it off against the farm as well, very good;) Tasty bit of block laying, did you do it yourself?

And you'll be able to depreciate it off against the farm as well, very good;) Tasty bit of block laying, did you do it yourself?

Not at all. Local man. Very tasty workmanship out of him. Every block layer is straight as a die. Very particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That's a fine wash bay you have there, Reggie.:)

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's a fine wash bay you have there, Reggie.:)

Was thinking of making one yesterday with the leftover concrete but didn't have enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Threw this yoke together this evening, be handy for bringing a few extra cans on the back rack of the quad when I'm going licking, just needs a bit of plywood on the bottom and a shot of spray and it's good to go.

Threw this yoke together this evening, be handy for bringing a few extra cans on the back rack of the quad when I'm going licking, just needs a bit of plywood on the bottom and a shot of spray and it's good to go.

Good job

But when you said "cans" I thought something different :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

what about buying your own element and sticking it into a churn?
    that's all the Connaught one is.......

aside, surely there is an opportunity here somewhere to create a by product for hot water in a dairy.... after all the milk has to be cooled.
    would solar be an option?

Many years ago I plumbed a two stage plate cooler for a fella. The waste water was plumbed down the pit to drop hoses and he had "warm" water for washing cows etc. he was delighted but I offten wondered was it worth while.

_Brian wrote: »
    Many years ago I plumbed a two stage plate cooler for a fella. The waste water was plumbed down the pit to drop hoses and he had "warm" water for washing cows etc. he was delighted but I offten wondered was it worth while.

Isn't that what most lads do ? Or just keep it for the wash down pump ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Did you fix up the weed licker you bought last year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement