Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

rushvalley wrote: »
    Did you fix up the weed licker you bought last year?

I bought a new one, didn't get around to fixing the other one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's a fine wash bay you have there, Reggie.:)

Now there's an idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Reggie. wrote: »
    Now there's an idea :D

Did your numbers come up in the Lotto ??

You are splashing the cash lately!

ford 5600 wrote: »
    Did your numbers come up in the Lotto ??

You are splashing the cash lately!

Save like mad over the winter so that when the fine weather hits it's all go

These jobs aren't that expensive lads. About 500 will fill this with concrete. The shed so far stands at about 800 euro. It's all about doing it yourself at your own pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Blobber for spraying/fert on bare ground. Total cost so far is tipping 20 quid. Foam concentrate in the post. Need tube for outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Blobber for spraying/fert on bare ground. Total cost so far is tipping 20 quid. Foam concentrate in the post. Need tube for outlet.

Where did you buy this CM? would you mind putting up the link for both they blobber and the foam.

Edit - Having looked at the picture again, is that just a 12V air compressor strapped to a container. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Where did you buy this CM? would you mind putting up the link for both they blobber and the foam.

The Count, he linked to this a few days ago.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/174455-foam-marker-sprayers.html

Brilliant work!

Edit - Having looked at the picture again, is that just a 12V air compressor strapped to a container. :)

Ya, that's all. Compressor cost around 15 quid from amazon and has a nice long lead to plug into cig lighter in tractor.

Foam concentrate

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T6BWWBY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Compressor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0030FBSQ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Used parcel motel as foam doesn't dispatch to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

7Nkm2C2.jpg

Made it this evening as the sister redid part of the lawn and I'd found the bit of a roller in a ditch last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Would the filler spout that comes with the can with a flexi tube attached to it do??

• Advertisement

Wash area in at last. Bloody tired after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Washing line down wind of the wash bay? You'd want a cosy dog house built before the first tractor wash, it inevitable what'll happen! :P

Suckler wrote: »
    Washing line down wind of the wash bay? You'd want a cosy dog house built before the first tractor wash, it inevitable what'll happen! :P

Not a chance the wind comes from the direction I'm facing.

9935452 wrote: »
    Would the filler spout that comes with the can with a flexi tube attached to it do??

Wouldn't say so. Would want it trailing on the ground nearly to put in a straight line.

This is it with the screeds out. That much drying today I had to wet it down every 20 mins or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

This is it with the screeds out. That much drying today I had to wet it down every 20 mins or so

You might be better covering it with clear light plastic. Hosing it down with water doesn't really help unless the water is flowing enough to cool it down .
    The plastic will help keep it hydrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Do ya mind me askin how much that bit readymix cost Reggie ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    You might be better covering it with clear light plastic. Hosing it down with water doesn't really help unless the water is flowing enough to cool it down .
    The plastic will help keep it hydrated

I'm in the clear now bullocks but good info for the future. Hadn't any yo hand today. Didn't realise how dry it was gonna get today

Sami23 wrote: »
    Do ya mind me askin how much that bit readymix cost Reggie ?

Was 7m3. 40N with fibre. €77 a metre and he charged me €500

• Advertisement

What does the 40N with FIBRE mean ?

What does the 40N with FIBRE mean ?

40N is the strength of the readymix. That's silage slab strength as your average is 32 or 35N. The fibre is little bits of fibreglass that is added to the readymix that's supposed to make it bind better hence make it stronger

40N is the strength of the readymix. That's silage slab strength as your average is 32 or 35N. The fibre is little bits of fibreglass that is added to the readymix that's supposed to make it bind better hence make it stronger

Sound never heard of that fibre b4

Sound never heard of that fibre b4

Its supposed to be better than metal mesh as it won't rust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭mayota

Great value for 40n. You'd barely buy the cement for that.

mayota wrote: »
    Great value for 40n. You'd barely buy the cement for that.

What is 40N. 40% cement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What is 40N. 40% cement

It a crushing strength. Newtons per mm Sq.
    There are various mixes that can achieve this strength - varying cement content, amount of fine material and size of aggregate in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

What is 40N. 40% cement

I always understood it was related to the breaking strenght, not the % of cement.

mickdw wrote: »
    It a crushing strength. Neutons per mm Sq.
    There are various mixes that can achieve

Always wondered. Just knew it was one of the strongest concretes out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

mickdw wrote: »
    It a crushing strength. Neutons per mm Sq.
    There are various mixes that can achieve

Mick, ya got in before me, you have it bang on.

Odelay wrote: »
    Mick, ya got in before me, you have it bang on.

Quoted twice before I got a chance to finish and correct my spelling. Ye are on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

If you order 40N concrete and then tell the lorry driver to wet it into soup to make it easy to screed your finished cured concrete won't be anything close to 40N strength. There should be no water added before pouring by right as the batching plant have the different ratios worked out for the different mixes. Achieving the correct strength is an art. The slump test is an indicator of the water content and workability. The cube test is the real indicator of the final strength of a mix. This gives the final Newton strength.

If you order 40N concrete and then tell the lorry driver to wet it into soup to make it easy to screed your finished cured concrete won't be anything close to 40N strength. There should be no water added before pouring by right as the batching plant have the different ratios worked out for the different mixes. Achieving the correct strength is an art. The slump test is an indicator of the water content and workability. The cube test is the real indicator of the final strength of a mix. This gives the final Newton strength.

You can order a 'wetter' mix if you need it easily worked but yes adding water on site is a no no.
    Having said that, adding water where the job is a ground bearing slab in a farm yard is not going to be the end of the world.

Is that plus VAT or a cash price?

Even so there's no way you'd work it straight from the lorry without some water

Is that plus VAT or a cash price?

That was on the docket as in all in

That was on the docket as in all in

Bloody hell. 35N here is €78+VAT and no fibre. Conveyer belt is €10/mtr. extra.

Pricey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I was told by a certain concrete supplier that I should get 35N for €70-72+vat but he couldn't do it at it.

td5man wrote: »
    I was told by a certain concrete supplier that I should get 35N for €70-72+vat but he couldn't do it at it.

Would he not know off a few euros for your 1000m job :P

Would he not know off a few euros for your 1000m job :P

Not really interested in concrete, more money in stone.

• Advertisement

Not really interested in concrete, more money in stone.

Didn't know that.

Didn't know that.

Got a good bit of concrete for houses from him over the years, only has a small batching plant with a limited amount of cement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

You can get 40n for €70 m2 cash price around here but I'm only 5 mins from the plant.

Got a good bit of concrete for houses from him over the years, only has a small batching plant with a limited amount of cement.

He's not interested in the big jobs. More interested in selling the 804

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Always wondered. Just knew it was one of the strongest concretes out there

When i was an engineer on the construction of cork airport, we were using 50N concrete for all columns and beams. Particular floor slabs were 50N too but mostly 40N and no water added. Concrete of that strenght can be worked, you just need proper concrete men.

worked with 80N concrete in tunnels in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

you just need proper concrete men.
    thats fightin talk ;)

When i was an engineer on the construction of cork airport, we were using 50N concrete for all columns and beams. Particular floor slabs were 50N too but mostly 40N and no water added. Concrete of that strenght can be worked, you just need proper concrete men.

worked with 80N concrete in tunnels in London

I've no doubt it can be but pure hardship id say unless you've a way of working it. How much would it impact the strength by adding water?

I've no doubt it can be but pure hardship id say unless you've a way of working it. How much would it impact the strength by adding water?

There is a fair chance the concrete with the water added would still make the grade as the 40N mix would likely reach alittle over 40 in normal circumstances.
    I would say 10 percent reduction maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hire in an engine driven bull float. Looks like a strimmer with a float head.
    Brilliant bit of kit.
    (unless you're at it for the exercise!)

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hire in an engine driven bull float. Looks like a strimmer with a float head.
    Brilliant bit of kit.
    (unless you're at it for the exercise!)

Was bolloxed after it yesterday. Getting too old for it I reckon

Advertisement