Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Figerty wrote: »
    Any chance they are damp. By the time you have gotten to half way they are dried out.

Possibly. The Oerlikons are open with nearly 12 months and should be as damp but they worked fine last night. I'll need a new box of rods tomorrow so I'll see if the new ones are any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I leave them beside the central heating boiler. They can get to dry over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Figerty wrote:
    I leave them beside the central heating boiler. They can get to dry over time.

Use the hot press at home myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any chance they are damp. By the time you have gotten to half way they are dried out.

Sounds like this is what's going on..
    Possibly. The Oerlikons are open with nearly 12 months and should be as damp but they worked fine last night. I'll need a new box of rods tomorrow so I'll see if the new ones are any better.

Nothing as bad as welding with damp rods, you'll never get decent welds as the steam will keep disrupting the weld pool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Not farming related but had to put it up.

Young lass is staying in the parents for a few days but an old cot they had was a bit damaged at It's end. So this was my father's solution :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »

Young lass is staying in the parents for a few days but an old cot they had was a bit damaged at It's end. So this was my father's solution :D

If it looks stupid but it works......it's not stupid :D

Edit-Goddammit Reggie I wasted my 9000th post on you. I'll have to go delete one now.

Thats a warning for projectile vomit, diarrhoea, wind, wailing and thrown toys!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Twasn't from the side of the road you picked up your guntering skills so?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I thought he was going to use a pallet and baler twine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Odelay wrote: »

Thought that myself. ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

and a red lamp in case the child got a bit of a chill!

locky76 wrote: »
    and a red lamp in case the child got a bit of a chill!

Now there's an idea :)

Some real guntering.. had to repair the vicon wagtail hopper.
    Had galvanise left over so it cost the prices of a good tube of mastic and 6mm nuts and bolts.

A cheap clip on the arm sheared last year when spreader lurched sideways cause the arm to come off and the hopper to crash down on the arm.. made sh*t* of it.

While I had it off I took apart the plate underneath that sets the opening and cleared out the rust. It's moving like new now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Some real guntering.. had to repair the vicon wagtail hopper.....
    I've the same one as you. I think mine is coming to the end of it's days. We must have it over 20 years now. I don't think the new ones are a patch on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I've the same one as you. I think mine is coming to the end of it's days. We must have it over 20 years now. I don't think the new ones are a patch on them.

They must be older than that? Was yours previously owned? Ours looked like that 20 years ago. Would say they owe very little to anyone that owned one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

They must be older than that? Was yours previously owned? Ours looked like that 20 years ago. Would say they owe very little to anyone that owned one.

Have one here 21 years and it was a second hand import at that. Vicon 802. Narrow spread but good even coverage and we have sown a good deal of hayseed as well over the years with her too. They are a great job imo. Only problem is ours only holds 750 kg. Would love to be able to get two big bags into her.

Had a vicon like that here when i started over 20yrs ago. Was an antique then. Closer to 40 yrs old I'd be thinking. Had a metal sawtooth type yoke near the toplink for the settings.
    The bigger hoppers crack to easily as they are caught down too low. Went through 2 hoppers on mine. Local lad used to make them for dealers but gave them up as fumes from resin was causing health issues. I got fed up from trying to do repairs like above. Bought a secondhand Abbey wagtail with the hydraulic shutter. Does the job fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Can't understand how vicon never made them out of plastic instead of cheap ass fibreglass. It's like cast iron rigid as hell until it gets a bit of a bang, then crack, no give.

Teagle have a lovely plastic hopper on their spreaders.

That's true. Some of the modern plactics would be far superior.

On cast Iron, I just ordered a chain harrow and specified that it can't be the new ring type that are made from cast iron. Cast Iron is never used where there is shock loading on the iron.....like in a chain harrow.

One of my neighbours has one advised against it as they break easily....and I have enough guntering to be doing without that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

We didn't buy it new either, I think. An old neighbour of ours said to me recently- "Is that the same spreader ye have all along". He couldn't believe we still had it.

• Advertisement

Figs when I saw the photo I thought it was mine, has exact same mix of pallets and straw in the background. Agree with other posters, it's older than you think. If it has the saw tooth ratchet I reckon it's from the 1970's, plastic handle that you twist to calibrate it probably is from the early 80's.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Figs when I saw the photo I thought it was mine, has exact same mix of pallets and straw in the background. Agree with other posters, it's older than you think. If it has the saw tooth ratchet I reckon it's from the 1970's, plastic handle that you twist to calibrate it probably is from the early 80's.

Bought it off ebay about 7 years ago for handy money. It has only spread grass seed it still had original paint on. This summer I'll clean it, prime it, paint it and put it away. It has the screw type on it so I'd say it a relatively late model. It still has the makers plate on it.

Picked up a Manitou loader bucket recently. Have only a 4in 1 bucket for the 50hx. Better crowding angle and more capacity. Of course had to change the quick attach fittings.
    I have a plasma cutter here that burns off the old welds as well as cuts the plates for the new QA You can see the gouging results. on the first 2 pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

blue5000 wrote: »

I spread approx 20 tons a year with a similar model to the one in the photo, that my father bought new in 1979 for he thinks £320. I got a lad to make a steel hopper that holds 1/2 a ton about 15 years ago. Interestingly , the same thing happened our one when it was a month old. A relative borrowed it , and the spring clip came out causing it to hit the mudguard of the tractor, and making bits of the top. It was repaired very similarily. I replaced the vertical bearings about 5 years ago , and the plate in the bottom about 3 times. I think that plastic adjuster type was superceded by the poorer non greasable type in 1980 or 81 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

DKMhg8.jpg

oDB7kc.jpg

nCw7HQ.jpg

KwhU8O.jpg

my bit of guntering over the last day .. bit of steel lying around .. old bit of timber left over from playhouse ( ran through surfacer ) and an old tyre ( for comfort ) and hey presto the swivel seesaw and just in time for summer .

Came across this for fitting bearings

Don't tell the mrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVODJm05plw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You're one of the tastiest gunters renandstimpy, a brain for design as well as excellent craftmanship. Keep them coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Would this make a handy, cheap hitch for towing stuff about the place ??
    Wouldn't like it on the road.

I wonder what you would use it for not sure without seeing the underneath view but looks like it would bend with any sort of excess weight ... would it take a quad trailer with maybe a ewe and lamb in it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

I wonder what you would use it for not sure without seeing the underneath view but looks like it would bend with any sort of excess weight ... would it take a quad trailer with maybe a ewe and lamb in it .

I think it is a really simple way to attach to a ball hitch, it could be made from channel have ever locking plate underneat , I like the way it locks on the ball.

• Advertisement

For sure so do I .. at least you know it's on your not second guessing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466855_200466855
    Throat/neck opening is 1 1/4in. dia.
    1000-lb. tow capacity
    250-lb. hitch capacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Wet day spent in shed making hanger brackets for a 9x3 loft beam

Milton09 wrote: »

Tasty

right sexy job for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

what machine did you use to cut the metal? angle grinder? bandsaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

what machine did you use to cut the metal? angle grinder? bandsaw?

Friend has a small basic nc controlled oxy-acetylene kit. Saves a serious amount of hassle for profile cutting and gives an excellent finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Friend has a small basic nc controlled oxy-acetylene kit. Saves a serious amount of hassle for profile cutting and gives an excellent finish

Do you know the make of it? My dad is into his welding and it might be handier than buying him a plasma cutter.

Latest project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Latest project

Coffee table? ;-)

td5man wrote: »
    Coffee table? ;-)

Nope :P

Nope :P

Is it for holding something?

Is it for holding something?

The auld cogs are still turning :D

Squeaky but turning

The auld cogs are still turning :D

Squeaky but turning

Something cylindrical?

Something cylindrical?

Your working off twitter you are :D

• Advertisement

😆 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Weight for the back of a tractor