Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have you some kind of optical illusion going on there? Or is there a taper in the frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have you some kind of optical illusion going on there? Or is there a taper in the frame?

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

It's not one of those bale carriers I sent you a picture of earlier, you do realise it is actually bigger than it looked in the picture. 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

td5man wrote: »
    It's not one of those bale carriers I sent you a picture of earlier, you do realise it is actually bigger than it looked in the picture. 😄

Small beginnings TD. Even they have to start off with a small frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Do you know the make of it? My dad is into his welding and it might be handier than buying him a plasma cutter.

Seems to be a Burny ?

This might clear it up

More

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Reggie. wrote: »
    This might clear it up

A man basket with a lid?

td5man wrote: »
    A man basket with a lid?

A very big storage box for the loader. Can carry spares, tools, twine and extra diesel if required.

will be doubling up as a counter weight for the tedder aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

A very big storage box for the loader. Can carry spares, tools, twine and extra diesel if required.

will be doubling up as a counter weight for the tedder aswell

I know fcuk all about machinery really - but would a weight on the loader like that be mad dangerous on high ground? (We have high ground, that'd be the only part I am familiar with)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Lads, I broke the tine off a grape/sprong/pike, I borrowed an broke it ;(. Need to fix it for man as well as buy him a new one, it's an antique one, mild steel rod no good I'd say, would a stainless Steele rod for dissimilar welds work, even with a gusset on it, it broke at the right angle.

I know fcuk all about machinery really - but would a weight on the loader like that be mad dangerous on high ground? (We have high ground, that'd be the only part I am familiar with)

The loader would be down not up

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Lads, I broke the tine off a grape/sprong/pike, I borrowed an broke it ;(. Need to fix it for man as well as buy him a new one, it's an antique one, mild steel rod no good I'd say, would a stainless Steele rod for dissimilar welds work, even with a gusset on it, it broke at the right angle.

Best bet might be to braze it.

Best bet might be to braze it.

Aw fook Reggie. The truth hurts. But maybe your right, will have to look into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Jb1989 wrote: »

Mig weld it if you can, brazing will put too much heat in to the prong annealing it resulting in it bending the whole time.
    If you cant MIG it then a standard stainless rod 0316 a low hydrogen 7018 or a 29.9 will do but watch the heat build up.................

Don't for get to Vee it out as well.

stock> wrote: »
    Mig weld it if you can, brazing will put too much heat in to the prong annealing it resulting in it bending the whole time.
    If you cant MIG it then a standard stainless rod 0316 a low hydrogen 7018 or a 29.9 will do but watch the heat build up.................

Don't for get to Vee it out as well.

Hi stock, I've no bother migging it, but I thought it wouldn't work with the cast type material ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

More

Very tidy,are you gonna put a aluminum floor on it? You could cut the front open for a small gate if you had to take a sick calve or ewe and lamb out of the field,not telling you what do to or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

This is a bit like when the child draws a picture and asks ya what it is :-) ... so here goes is it a feeder of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Toolbox. ...yeah right.
    It's a giant lunchbox! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You'll need a portaloo also. Just section off one side and fit a toilet seat on the top of it and a 'drain off valve.' :D

l know they say you shouldn't **** where you eat but you could make a cool portable charcoal bbq of the other side!!

whatever you end up with cut out the massey symbol from plate and weld to the front of it so that it's a massey one!

Muckit wrote: »
    You'll need a portaloo also. Just section off one side and fit a toilet seat on the top of it and a 'drain off valve.' :D

l know they say you shouldn't **** where you eat but you could make a cool portable charcoal bbq of the other side!!

whatever you end up with cut out the massey symbol from plate and weld to the front of it so that it's a massey one!

You know me too well

Muckit wrote: »
    Toolbox. ...yeah right.
    It's a giant lunchbox! :D

Was going say something like that yesterday

IH784man wrote: »
    Very tidy,are you gonna put a aluminum floor on it? You could cut the front open for a small gate if you had to take a sick calve or ewe and lamb out of the field,not telling you what do to or anything like that

Gonna put a fine mesh floor into it so that water wouldn't gather in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Gonna put a fine mesh floor into it so that water wouldn't gather in it

Nice job. I'd love to be handy at stuff like that but I wouldn't be able to cut straight never mind anything else!

C0N0R wrote: »
    Nice job. I'd love to be handy at stuff like that but I wouldn't be able to cut straight never mind anything else!

Wasnt always that way lad. Self taught and have had many failures. Rule of thumb is if in doubt...reinforce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Wasnt always that way lad. Self taught and have had many failures. Rule of thumb is if in doubt...reinforce

What you throwing on the sides/top?

C0N0R wrote: »
    What you throwing on the sides/top?

Not sure yet. Might get some 3 mm plate and rivet it to it or weld it

You have to go with alloy checker plate, and aircraft rivets.
    Otherwise your credibility is shot. .........:D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You have to go with alloy checker plate, and aircraft rivets.
    Otherwise your credibility is shot. .........:D

Ohhhhh baby...now your talking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Have no headgate or dehorning crate in the crush at home so I'm kinda cobbling together a lightish gate for dehorning the calves the last couple of evenings. Anything would be better than haltering them and getting the sh1t kicked outta me trying to hold them still for the auld fella.

• Advertisement

Have no headgate or dehorning crate in the crush at home so I'm kinda cobbling together a lightish gate for dehorning the calves the last couple of evenings. Anything would be better than haltering them and getting the sh1t kicked outta me trying to hold them still for the auld fella.

Very tasty. Nice welding

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Is that a portable welder?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

How did you cut the 45 angles .. tasty if it was a grinder ... tasty anyhow

rushvalley wrote: »
    Is that a portable welder?

It's a 180amp inverter. Only got it a few months back but think it's a great little yoke. Works away the finest on a 13amp plug welding that light stuff.

How did you cut the 45 angles .. tasty if it was a grinder ... tasty anyhow

Used the grinder, trial and error, stayed taking off small bits until I got it rightish.

Very tasty. Nice welding

I put the snotty ones on the back of it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

It's a 180amp inverter. Only got it a few months back but think it's a great little yoke. Works away the finest on a 13amp plug welding that light stuff.

What do ya think would be the upper limit on the welder steel wise?

delaney001 wrote: »

I don't know to be honest. I never used a welder until I got it and haven't welded any heavy stuff with it yet. Someone else might be able to answer that question for you.

Used the grinder, trial and error, stayed taking off small bits until I got it rightish.

That's the way to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I have an old type welder, maybe 20 years old at this stage. I weld away on a 13A fuse no problem. I stick to 2.5mm rods and any heavy welding I need to do, I make a few passes or runs, maybe 3 in some cases.

• Advertisement

I have an old type welder, maybe 20 years old at this stage. I weld away on a 13A fuse no problem. I stick to 2.5mm rods and any heavy welding I need to do, I make a few passes or runs, maybe 3 in some cases.

The welder I use ia a cheap Chinese copy I bought just to get me by at one time. Very strong. Had to put a 16 amp plug onto it but it's flying. Well able to burn through metal. Too handy at times :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nice looking job..
    Obviously after years of doing safety inspections in industry, I have to ask, any risk of fire given you seem to be welding on hay / dry silage :o

_Brian wrote: »
    Nice looking job..
    Obviously after years of doing safety inspections in industry, I have to ask, any risk of fire given you seem to be welding on hay / dry silage :o

Brian has the H&S goggles on :D

_Brian wrote: »
    Nice looking job..

Tis dung and anything but dry. I'm sure I have done more dangerous things ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

LC, I know your gate is only in its infancy but can I make a suggestion if you have not already thought about it. I would fill in the gap on the right hand side between the two parallel bars. As sure as day follows night some calf will manage to get its head trapped in the gap no matter how small it seems.

Update - previous post bracket installed

Milton09 wrote: »
    Update - previous post bracket installed

Nice colour ;)

Nice colour ;)
    20 liter drum of red oxide covers some area :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

delaney001 wrote: »

I have a 175 amp inverter and have used it to weld a portal shed using 9 inch H iron which is 6mm steel using 4mm rods. Had a professional welder guy using it and he was more than happy Welded all day for a few days.

• Advertisement

Just a little thing I made for gates on a sheep pen.
    Nothing worse than a lamb sticking his head through the bars and lifting the gate off its hangers.
    Just a bit of piping split and secured with either a Jubilee clip or a cable tie.

Advertisement