Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    The suspense is killing me waiting for this picture...

Your gonna be disappointed :)

Kovu wrote: »
    All I could think of seeing it :D:D

sqfaykkunom91z2bsay4xo7oo1_500.jpg

No tennis balls there missus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    No tennis balls there missus

Ah wait until ye need a crutch in your old age, the pigtails will be handy then!

Ah wait until ye need a crutch in your old age, the pigtails will be handy then!

I'll put an engine on the zimmer frame or will that be nek :D

That'll be nek. He'd probably working on it already. Like a segway but with a trough attached for moving cattle easily.

Don't forget the basket for the tools/shopping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hey, you lot, can I join in?

I saw a Bar Stool motorised with lawn mower wheels. Driven with a lorry starter motor and 24 volt battery. :D

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hey, you lot, can I join in?

I saw a Bar Stool motorised with lawn mower wheels. Driven with a lorry starter motor and 24 volt battery. :D

Max nek: fury road :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Quick 5 min guntering this evening. Sick of the plastic stakes bending at the corners of paddocks so I came up with this.

Couldn't use posts as I'd have them all over the place then.

Pics wouldn't go up sorry about that.

Nice job.

Lad I worked for when I was a student use to use 18mm re-bar in a straight length of and put 2 insulators on them for the 2 stands of wire. Sucklers so kept the calves back also. I don't know what they cost each but were very strong.

3 downsides

* very heavy to move around. you wount grab a dozen and walk on
    * needed a heavy lump hammer or sledge to drive them ( could have welded foot grip I suppose)
    * couldn't forget one in the grass as I don't think the topper or mower would digest them to well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Nice job.

Lad I worked for when I was a student use to use 18mm re-bar in a straight length of and put 2 insulators on them for the 2 stands of wire. Sucklers so kept the calves back also. I don't know what they cost each but were very strong.

3 downsides

* very heavy to move around. you wount grab a dozen and walk on
    * needed a heavy lump hammer or sledge to drive them ( could have welded foot grip I suppose)
    * couldn't forget one in the grass as I don't think the topper or mower would digest them to well

I use 13mm rebar here with those blue insulators . 1 more downside, if wire happens to get out of insulator, or on a corner pull it manage to touch iron stake, a power station wouldn't drive the fencer, occasionally resulting in cattle making a break for it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Hi there. Ive posted this incase anyone else has had the same problem.
    basically the fergy drill plough would fit onto the mf 240 back arms. the 240 has bigger arms to take cat 1 and cat 2 balls.

i removed the hex bolt and the pins for the arms to go on and replaced with countersunk ones. some fo the things i did ( secretly proud as most things do not normally go as planned!)
    1. soaked the nuts in penetrating oil.
    2. removed the pins using large socket and wrench
    3. had to remove the square countersunk part of the bolt with grind to fit in the hole on the ridger
    4. put back together and fits the tractor with a hairs with to spare
    ive attached pics to any wizzkids that can embed, thanks

• Advertisement

few more pics. embed as well please :)

Nice job dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fair play. Make sure and spray them now after you have them moled, tis fierce blighty weather!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Quick 5 min guntering this evening. Sick of the plastic stakes bending at the corners of paddocks so I came up with this.

Couldn't use posts as I'd have them all over the place then.

Pics wouldn't go up sorry about that.

Ah Reggie you went to all that trouble for no reason.

I'll show you later how us dairy boys get over that problem. ;)

Kovu I keep getting 503 service unavailable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Kovu I keep getting 503 service unavailable

Pic too big?

ganmo wrote: »
    Pic too big?

Have 3 of them.
    Why is it so hard to upload pictures on boards

Muckit wrote: »
    Fair play. Make sure and spray them now after you have them moled, tis fierce blighty weather!! :-)

Thanks lad !!ðŸ‘

Ah Reggie you went to all that trouble for no reason.

I'll show you later how us dairy boys get over that problem. ;)

Ah sure you lads have too much money. Guntering would be a waste of your time

• Advertisement

Ah sure you lads have too much money. Guntering would be a waste of your time

No extra spending involved here

And for the calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Have 3 of them.
    Why is it so hard to upload pictures on boards

Don't go there gg, it seems that it's expensive software (I'm thinking of the likes of whatsapp) and boards.ie doesn't feel it's worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Why use 2 when 1 will do ;)

5UftXm.jpg

No good gg. Was doing that here but the cattle figured out that there was no shock and scratch off it knocking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No good gg. Was doing that here but the cattle figured out that there was no shock and scratch off it knocking it
    Them Westmeath cattle are like the footballers - clever feckers that don't take NO for an answer :D

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Them Westmeath cattle are like the footballers - clever feckers that don't take NO for an answer :D

Sure all westmeath fellas are like that :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Not sure if this belongs here or in a fencing thread. Put some galvanise to use of an old shed, an old pallet, old gate and tree that fell down to fill a gap. Not pretty but the place is stock proof without spending a penny. :) Will send on links if images don't embed.

FC49NLf.jpg

JrOYVDn.jpg

Gap
    0wnLgbo.jpg

Tree in gap
    4eJ4Zyi.jpg

yMG4Pez.jpg

oZtWIle.jpg

AP2014 wrote: »
    Not sure if this belongs here or in a fencing thread. Put some galvanise to use of an old shed, an old pallet, old gate and tree that fell down to fill a gap. Not pretty but the place is stock proof without spending a penny. :) Will send on links if images don't embed.

FC49NLf.jpg

JrOYVDn.jpg

Gap
    0wnLgbo.jpg

Tree in gap
    4eJ4Zyi.jpg

yMG4Pez.jpg

oZtWIle.jpg

That's not guntering that's just typical irish fencing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

if you give that pallet a coat of fence life and the sheet of galvanise a spray paint you will get years out of them

Ah infairness its a field surrounded by other fields I own so no danger of an animal going on the road or visiting a neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

When you start to look at the side sheeting on a shed as a quick and cheap source of fencing material its time to stop !!!

if you give that pallet a coat of fence life and the sheet of galvanise a spray paint you will get years out of them

Looks like I need to replace one sheet of galvanise. Sounds like a job for next wkd. Pallet is holding up well I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

that gate.... looks very like a gap we have!! I have looked at that picture ten times now and I'm still not sure - the profile of the field the other side is identical also!

that gate.... looks very like a gap we have!! I have looked at that picture ten times now and I'm still not sure - the profile of the field the other side is identical also!

Who are we, pale face? :P It's my gate and have another one like it as well. Definitely my field as well. 4 acre field the far side. Has never been rented either so you won't be claiming squatters rights or anything. :D

Who are we, pale face? :P It's my gate and have another one like it as well. Definitely my field as well. 4 acre field the far side. Has never been rented either so you won't be claiming squatters rights or anything. :D

Go home Yank!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

just do it wrote: »
    Why use 2 when 1 will do ;)

Ah no!! :) I'm with gg on this one. We tried that years ago for a while but rebar isn't sprung like steel in a pigtail stake and will bend in a hoop. also weighs a ton.. aaannd with all that steel they can earth too easily, especially in wet weather. There's 3 reasons why I don't use them! ;)

I remember Stan had steel rods welded onto his reels. Why I could never fathom. All that extra weight. I use a pigtail post to prop it up where it hooks into main fence line.

10 light white posts and a reel is the most my two hands can carry. Quads smads.

Go home Yank!!!

its my field!!!

its my field!!!

Easy now. We know how that ended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

FC49NLf.jpg

JrOYVDn.jpg

Gap
    0wnLgbo.jpg

Tree in gap
    4eJ4Zyi.jpg

yMG4Pez.jpg

oZtWIle.jpg

I don't know about the rest of ye but if there isn't a strand of electrice fence around our fields some animal would get thru it, doesn't matter how high or dense the ditch is they'll climb over it or burst thru it. Heifers in particular always nosing about,

Easy now. We know how that ended!

I could make a very bad joke about that, relating to another hot topic thread, but I will refrain!

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of ye but if there isn't a strand of electrice fence around our fields some animal would get thru it, doesn't matter how high or dense the ditch is they'll climb over it or burst thru it. Heifers in particular always nosing about,

Few quiet bullocks here and I have them well trained.

Milked out wrote: »

Fact. Our herd is half heifers and 2nd calvers this yr. And there right bitches. Have had to redo alot if fencing this yr that the older girls don't bother with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Muckit wrote: »
    Ah no!! :) I'm with gg on this one. We tried that years ago for a while but rebar isn't sprung like steel in a pigtail stake and will bend in a hoop. also weighs a ton.. aaannd with all that steel they can earth too easily, especially in wet weather. There's 3 reasons why I don't use them! ;)

I remember Stan had steel rods welded onto his reels. Why I could never fathom. All that extra weight. I use a pigtail post to prop it up where it hooks into main fence line.

10 light white posts and a reel is the most my two hands can carry. Quads smads.

Anybody bodged a "quiver" for pig tail posts ? - a Always found it a right dose to manage posts and unrolling the reel ( At any speed )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What do pigtails cost vs those white ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anybody bodged a "quiver" for pig tail posts ? - a Always found it a right dose to manage posts and unrolling the reel ( At any speed )

https://youtu.be/3cZ3-6FlXgc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

td5man wrote: »

The only problem with that one is that the pig tails would earth you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Just wondering has anyone here made a personnel basket for a loader to work at heights, eg power washing, erecting sheds etc? With farm safety in mind I think its time I upgraded from a pallet and pallet forks! My loader isn't self levelling though and just looking for any clever ideas on how to design the basket on some sort of swivel so that it keeps its own level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Just wondering has anyone here made a personnel basket for a loader to work at heights, eg power washing, erecting sheds etc? With farm safety in mind I think its time I upgraded from a pallet and pallet forks! My loader isn't self levelling though and just looking for any clever ideas on how to design the basket on some sort of swivel so that it keeps its own level.

Would you be better off designing a self levelling system into the loader - it's basically the same thing - a system of levers to level the attachment - but if you can get it on the loader it levels every attachment instead of just one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Loader should have check valves afaik.
    Basket is better than a pallet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

one of many - sure someone has better

hang the basket from the top edge on pivots

put a hydraulic ram between the basket and arm with a pipe joining end and a valve in the middle to stop it swaying from the force of the power washer and to stop it flipping upside down and dumping you out

b29131c51dbc2c6ca80d368c2c51f6df.jpg

cd7413994d0842f127efb751706ae3f1.jpg

Advertisement